Poll: SW-FOG 2012 duration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phroenips

Pronounced "Free-nips"...it's just a
Reaction score
SW-FOG will be held in Salida, CO this year. Central to many many great rides! The town of Salida itself is nothing to write home about, but this it is geographically located in a great part of the state if motorbiking is your idea of fun. Buena Vista was my first choice, but it's much more expensive and the two hotels that could accommodate the size of our group didn't seem interested in having us.

Salida, on the other hand, I've narrowed down to two hotels, both of which are very excited at the prospect of having a large motorcycling group to give them money ;)

I have a question for the masses: What date options work best? Historically, SW-FOG has been held over four days, with the first and last day being arrival and departure days, respectively. However, I know riding in Colorado is on a lot of people's bucket lists, so I'd be willing to go out a day earlier and have an extra day of organized rides. What's the general consensus (obviously, if you can't make the extra day yourself, you can always arrive on Thursday instead of Wednesday).

Next variable is which weekend? I didn't want to get into September as that can start to get dicey in the Colorado Mountains and some fall snow storms. The two "missing" weekends from the poll question are missing for good reason. The first is Gold Rush days, the second would fall during the US Pro Cycling Challenge.

What say you?

The votes are in!

SW-FOG 2012 will be held from July 19-22. The only thing that remains is to double check with the motel(s) to ensure they will have availability (I've already contacted both of them, waiting to hear back), and make a final decision on which motel to choose!

I'll be creating a new "official" thread once I get this final confirmation, and of course will update the website as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say we move it back a week or two into late July. Colorado isn't overly hot and the weather should be really good. If not, I say the first weekend in August. I really wanna ride to NERDS and am expecting to take 2 weeks to do it. If it ends up back-to-back with NERDS, I prolly wont go.

That being said, I like arrival on Thursday, ride home Sunday, but Wednesday is prolly ok too.

A Thursday through Sunday works the best for me. I usually like to arrive a day early and leave on Monday. The Gathering of the Clans is Aug 2 through 5 in Eureka, CA. Being on the "left coast" I plan to attend that.

Bruce Waldron

Voted for the 1st weekend of Aug. Went through CO way too quick this past summer. Thought to myself how nice it would be to take a lil' time to enjoy Colorado rather than just passing through to somewheres else. This Gathering of FJR Hooligans is on my "Gots to Do" list this yr.

Thanks for the input guys, does anyone else have any preference to have it sometime in July other than HRZ (I'm thinking July 18 or 19 - 22 maybe)? I didn't see/notice the Gathering of the Clans scheduled for Aug 2-5 until later.

Thanks for the input guys, does anyone else have any preference to have it sometime in July other than HRZ (I'm thinking July 18 or 19 - 22 maybe)? I didn't see/notice the Gathering of the Clans scheduled for Aug 2-5 until later.
July 18, or 19 to the 22 would be awesome. I say we go that route. You offically have my opinion...If you care :p

July 18, or 19 to the 22 would be awesome. I say we go that route. You offically have my opinion...If you care :p
No, we don't care about your opinion, but we like to let you think we do.

Edit: and to prove how much we don't care, I added that date as a new poll answer option

Well moving it into July would kinda cut into the summer ride I had hoped to make. So, if I were to show up for one night in conjunction with my ride, would I still be considered an official attendee? Or maybe I should just say screw it and make SW-FOG the last leg of my trip.

Thinking that conflicking with NERDS won't effect many on this side of the continent but if I'm heading south of the border on the August Long Wknd, it'll most likely be to the Gathering of the Clans! That said, If I make GOTC, I may not have time off available for this. :( So my vote prolly ain't worth considering.
dribble.gif

If SW-FOG 2012 does end up being from July 18/19 to 22 in Colorado: Then Son Seth and Daddy Don can make this FJR Event. Seth and I were originally going to attend the Gathering of the Clans back when the Eureka, CA FJR Meet was going to be 7/18-22, but that has now been changed to August 2-5.

Well moving it into July would kinda cut into the summer ride I had hoped to make. So, if I were to show up for one night in conjunction with my ride, would I still be considered an official attendee? Or maybe I should just say screw it and make SW-FOG the last leg of my trip.
If it does end up being in July, we'd be happy to have you join us for however long you can make it. As for will it be worth it, that would depend on what you'd be giving up. I promise I'll have some prime routes picked out in Colorado though! ;)

If it does end up being in July, we'd be happy to have you join us for however long you can make it. As for will it be worth it, that would depend on what you'd be giving up. I promise I'll have some prime routes picked out in Colorado though! ;)
https://salida.com/ Seth and I are really starting to get interested in SW-FOG 2012 at Salida, Colorado. Seth starts his first day and first year of High School on Monday, July 23. Just a two day ride to Salida from Chandler, Arizona; we'll probably get there a day early and start back to AZ on Saturday. https://coloradoheadwaters.com/visitorsguide/

The latest date in August would help me be there. I'm going to be a granpa for the first time on or around Aug 2 and will be in the Fort Worth area then. I don't think I could squeez in SWFOG before the baby arrives as my Pillion will be a little stressed out at that point. :unsure: I will try to get there whenever it is held, I've stayed in Salida a few times coming back from BBQ competitions in Dillon and Frisco, it'll work great for day rides out of there,

SW-FOG will be held in Salida, CO this year. Central to many many great rides! The town of Salida itself is nothing to write home about, but this it is geographically located in a great part of the state if motorbiking is your idea of fun. Buena Vista was my first choice, but it's much more expensive and the two hotels that could accommodate the size of our group didn't seem interested in having us.

Salida, on the other hand, I've narrowed down to two hotels, both of which are very excited at the prospect of having a large motorcycling group to give them money ;)

I have a question for the masses: What date options work best? Historically, SW-FOG has been held over four days, with the first and last day being arrival and departure days, respectively. However, I know riding in Colorado is on a lot of people's bucket lists, so I'd be willing to go out a day earlier and have an extra day of organized rides. What's the general consensus (obviously, if you can't make the extra day yourself, you can always arrive on Thursday instead of Wednesday).

Next variable is which weekend? I didn't want to get into September as that can start to get dicey in the Colorado Mountains and some fall snow storms. The two "missing" weekends from the poll question are missing for good reason. The first is Gold Rush days, the second would fall during the US Pro Cycling Challenge.

What say you?
The July dates work fine for me. I could even bring my other half for this event, it is practically in my back yard.

Nope, we don't care but, on this RARE occation, I agree with you :lol:

July works the best for me, if anyone really cares.

Just a thought.

Joe

July works the best for me, if anyone really cares.

Just a thought.

Joe
Be very careful with this, Scott! I think this Joe guy may be a Troll! Has anybody here ever seen this Joe dude post to our FJR Forum before? jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Mexico_2010_275.jpg

I have no dog in your hunt. Just wanted to lay out what we've done (and are doing again) for NERDS that seemed to work really well:

The "official" event days are from Thursday thru Sunday, with most folks coming in on Wednesday sometime. We intentionally schedule the only real "group dinner" (just a Bar-B-Que for NERDS) on the Friday evening rather than Saturday. The idea being that if folks who are pressed for time they can come in a day (or two or three) early, and then head on back toward home on Saturday AM without fear of missing out on too much.

It also looks like there will be some of the NERDS coming in at the beginning of the week (Mon - Tues) and extending their vacations and fun.

Not sure if that is something that appeals to you South-Westerners, but thought I'd offer it up as an alternative.

PS - Great looking event web site!! :p