CCT help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glamisking

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been wanting to change my CCT for the last year but after reading all the excellent how-to posts it seems a little over my head. The bike has been making an intermitent loud rattle and it's basically my only means of transport.

Would there be anyone who has done one that wouldn't mind helping me along? I am egaer to learn and could ride anywhere in San Diego,San Bernardino, OC or LA.

Thanks!

All you need is a small wrench, a long small flathead and a hex to remove the engine cover to zip tie the cam chain so it doesn't slack down. I think I took the right side plastic off but it probably wasn't necessary. Then you pull out the old CCT and stick new one in, install the two bolts, remove little 'key' from new one and that applies the pressure. Remove zip ties from cam chain, put cover back on with the 7-8 hex bolts. Done.

Hope this helps. It's just a matter of having the right wrench on hand to get the two bolts out.

Before you replace the 2 hex bolts you may want to cut a slot on the top of the hex bolts and use a flat head screwdriver, it's easier to get the bolts back on.

Pay for my airline ticket and I'll come to your house. I could use a break from the cold and the snow.

Please make sure to have a full stock of Crown Royal on hand.

lots of SoCal owners have done this, so I'm sure you will get the help you want. It really is a fairly easy thing to do provided you block-in the chain slippers with a socket. I was able to use a 8mm ratcheting wrench from Sears to get the bottom bolt off, but I removed the clutch cover to get more swing room. Anyway, you're going to like the change.

If you don't get some help (unlikely), you're welcome to ride up here and I'll help you out. It's a fun trip along the coast if the weather is good.

All you need is a small wrench, a long small flathead and a hex to remove the engine cover to zip tie the cam chain so it doesn't slack down. I think I took the right side plastic off but it probably wasn't necessary. Then you pull out the old CCT and stick new one in, install the two bolts, remove little 'key' from new one and that applies the pressure. Remove zip ties from cam chain, put cover back on with the 7-8 hex bolts. Done.

Hope this helps. It's just a matter of having the right wrench on hand to get the two bolts out.
Did you need to replace the gasket for the right side engine cover?

Yes, the gasket needs to be replaced, it's not resuable, you also need to make sure all the old gasket is off the cover and engine.

Yes, the gasket needs to be replaced, it's not resuable, you also need to make sure all the old gasket is off the cover and engine.
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure. Best to have all stuff on-hand and be prepared. I don't like FJR being down for any period.

Peter - Calm down, it's all right, we're all right here. I've done two successful CCT's and I can easily ride to your place and we'll have 'er done in no time.

Read this CCT thread real well and PM Me. You need all the parts etc ready.

PM sent.

Last edited by a moderator:

NO you don't HAVE to. Will the manual tell you to... I'm sure. You need to replace that like you need to put a crush washer on your oil drain bolt. Mine looked brand new at 43k miles. Was on and off 5 times in one year. Not a drop ever leaked out.

I've replaced those engine covers on another bike and just used gasket sealant and I never had a drop leak in the 25k miles after that.

Thanks for all the help guys and a special thanks to Simon who came over today to lend a hand. My engine was mounted closer to the frame and it was impossible to get the lower bolt out without removing the clutch cover. But other than that it went smoothly and now it sounds SO much better.

I'm glad I could help and not mess it up. :p

That lower bolt was a little challenging, but what fun we had, and look at what we learned. I modified my original post to use TomInCA's idea to remove the clutch cover, it's just too easy and makes accessibility so much better.

We'll have to ride soon. ;)

Simon, I used your guide, and see you modified it to add the clutch cover removal if needed. It really is easy with the clutch cover off, and adds maybe 5-minutes to remove the cover (saves a lot of time fiddling with that lower CCT bolt). I didn 't think about the risk of dropping something into the lower unit, good catch to cover that area.