SW-FOG 2012 - Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested but not sure the sched works out.

Lemme study on it some............
You know, I could just swing by and we could haul a$$ out to CO together. ;)

My main issue is that I want to do the IBA meet in August and possibly a little bit of Sturgis before that. I had a great time @ SW-FOG this past yr and would like to go back but I'll either need to make 3 - or at least 2 - trips out west in short succession or prioritize and trim one/two off. I could skip Sturgis and do SW-FOG, come home, do maintenance (on the bike AND mama...)then get my kitchen pass revalidated and shoot out to Denver for the IBA meet. Just dunno at the moment!

But, hell yeah, I'm all for shooting about! You got an aux tank??? I don't speed much (5-9 over usually) but do try and do the long runs. Would be 2 long days from my house to CO, so figure to get in morning/noon of the 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could skip Sturgis and do SW-FOG, come home, do maintenance (on the bike AND mama...)then get my kitchen pass revalidated and shoot out to Denver for the IBA meet. Just dunno at the moment!

But, hell yeah, I'm all for shooting about! You got an aux tank??? I don't speed much (5-9 over usually) but do try and do the long runs. Would be 2 long days from my house to CO, so figure to get in morning/noon of the 3rd.
Skip Sturgis! What the hell, all you'll be doing is drinking beer and looking at half nekkid wemen all day when you could come to Colorado and be hanging around with beemerdons and 'Zilla.... :blink:

Wait, let me think a momnet here.....

YES SW-FOG it is!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

I could skip Sturgis and do SW-FOG, come home, do maintenance (on the bike AND mama...)then get my kitchen pass revalidated and shoot out to Denver for the IBA meet. Just dunno at the moment!

Skip Sturgis! What the hell, all you'll be doing is drinking beer and looking at half nekkid wemen all day when you could come to Colorado and be hanging around with beemerdons and 'Zilla.... :blink:

Wait, let me think a momnet here.....

YES SW-FOG it is!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:
Well, when you put it that way, how could I refuse?

I live near Daytona so do the beer drinkin', nekid wommin gazin', loud pipe listenin' thing regular anyway. I had just thought it might be fun going up there with friends. Plans were to go the week before and leave after the first weekend (of the rally), but yes, could skip it for sure.

I still haven't decided which (LD type) rally I want to do this yr yet either!

Woohoo! 15 bikes and 22 people registered so far!

I was able to get us some group rates on the three suites they have available. Two of the three have three beds, so if several people wanted to be roommates for SW-FOG, you could split up the cost and save a boatload of money. Or if you just want plenty of room to spread out, take a suite all to yourself!

Rate information is on the lodging page of the website

fljab, I was just double checking my route for riding that week, and if things go well I won't be getting up to Salisa until the 20th. If however things don't go well, I'll be getting up there the 19th. I'd like to try to ride from Eagle Pass, TX to the Keys and then up to Salida. If not the Keys, then the Smokey Mtns.

As for an aux fuel cell, I am in the midst of fabricating the last of the parts before I bring it to the welder.

fljab, I was just double checking my route for riding that week, and if things go well I won't be getting up to Salisa until the 20th. If however things don't go well, I'll be getting up there the 19th. I'd like to try to ride from Eagle Pass, TX to the Keys and then up to Salida. If not the Keys, then the Smokey Mtns.

As for an aux fuel cell, I am in the midst of fabricating the last of the parts before I bring it to the welder.
Sounds good; if you go to the Keys I'm right on the way or can meet you someplace; regardless lemme know when it gets closer. I'm in the process of writing down all the different meets, rallies, family gatherings, obligations to wifey, and goat roapin' rodeos to see what I want to do and will make a decision in a little bit. I would like to so this run; what the hell, it's only miles!

I've got two route options up as a teaser. There will definitely be more when I have more time to put them all together. Enjoy!

https://www.sw-fog.com/routes.php
We Stanley Boys intend to ride the Gold Belt Loop on Friday, 7/20. Then on Saturday, 7/21 we will ride over Monarch Pass and through Black Canyon to Delta, Colorado heading south to Farmington, New Mexico to spend the night.

I've got two route options up as a teaser. There will definitely be more when I have more time to put them all together. Enjoy!

We Stanley Boys intend to ride the Gold Belt Loop on Friday, 7/20. Then on Saturday, 7/21 we will ride over Monarch Pass and through Black Canyon to Delta, Colorado heading south to Farmington, New Mexico to spend the night.
So quick to choose! But I got ambitious and added three more...see if maybe you want to revise your decision. I've got at least 2-3 more in mind as well!

So quick to choose! But I got ambitious and added three more...see if maybe you want to revise your decision. I've got at least 2-3 more in mind as well!
Nope, we are still good to go with our previous choices. We Stanley Boys have now added the Gold Belt Tour / Cripple Creek Loop for Thursday, July 19. If you post up a route to Salida, CO from Farmington, NM for us on Wednesday, 7/18, that doesn't duplicate the other 3 routes we have chosen for SW-FOG 2012, then our ride planning work is now done thanks to you! Muchas Gracias!

Phroenips, those routes look great at quick glance. Kinda tough to tell what they are really like....but heck it is Colorado (are there any boring routes in the Mtns?). Not being familiar with the area, I'll just follow the mob. I'll have to try really really hard to get 2 days of riding in there.

Thanks for your hard work phroenips. :)

Nope, we are still good to go with our previous choices. We Stanley Boys have now added the Gold Belt Tour / Cripple Creek Loop for Thursday, July 19. If you post up a route to Salida, CO from Farmington, NM for us on Wednesday, 7/18, that doesn't duplicate the other 3 routes we have chosen for SW-FOG 2012, then our ride planning work is now done thanks to you! Muchas Gracias!
Haha, not as one of the routes I'll write up for SW-FOG, But one road that I still have to do is US-550 up through Durango and Ouray, probably go up to Montrose, then over on US-50 through Gunnison, over Monarch Pass, and into Salida.

Phroenips, those routes look great at quick glance. Kinda tough to tell what they are really like....but heck it is Colorado (are there any boring routes in the Mtns?). Not being familiar with the area, I'll just follow the mob. I'll have to try really really hard to get 2 days of riding in there.

Thanks for your hard work phroenips. :)
Glad you is like it. There are some boring areas around here, but you'll be plenty safe by sticking with the herd.

Other routes I have in mind actually dabble in parts of those boring parts, but it's simply a means to an end. The end being getting to the Great Sand Dune National Park. But one of the ways back could possibly be La Veta pass, which is a lot of fun. Other routes will include riding in the San Juan mountains, and a recommended stop at Bishop Castle...a nut who is building his own castle by hand. Without any government approval or permits. It's been officially classified as a "work of art" to skirt past those pesky safety inspections. A sight to see.

"...recommended stop at Bishop Castle...a nut who is building his own castle by hand. Without any government approval or permits. It's been officially classified as a "work of art" to skirt past those pesky safety inspections. A sight to see."
Isn't HotRodZilla classified as a "work of art"? Around the Kachina Lodge campfire at SW-FOG last year I heard both Skip and Petey refer to AJ as a "piece of work"!

Haha, not as one of the routes I'll write up for SW-FOG, But one road that I still have to do is US-550 up through Durango and Ouray, probably go up to Montrose, then over on US-50 through Gunnison, over Monarch Pass, and into Salida.
https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Farmington&1s=NM&1y=US&1l=36.7281&1g=-108.218102&1v=CITY&2c=Salida&2s=CO&2y=US&2l=38.534698&2g=-105.998299&2v=CITY

I know that this is not very scenic if my senile old memory serves me well, but this is what Mr. MapQuest recommends and it will get us to Salida quickly to settle on in.

For some reason that section of 92 north from US50 is my favorite of the roads I have ridden in Colorado. Guess it is because it is so laid back without traffic, that I can and do just stop in the middle of the road to take pictures. Cruise at 45 without the helmet and just rubberneck. I've managed to come back and ride it 4 or 5 times. :)

Sure, it's not as spectacular as the other routes, not overwhelmed by the scenery, but man is it quiet if you are riding by yourself. Kind of like being on a battery powered Harley would be. :unsure:

Sometimes you just gotta kick back and take an easy ride.... or my case ride like an old man. ;)

A really ambitious route would be up 24/285, west across 82, south on 133 to Hotchkiss, pick up 92 south, then back across 50 to Sadalia. 329 miles acordintg to S&T. Is that too far given the roads? Sort of a "twisty butt" of Colorado in that it would take all day with no stops?

A really ambitious route would be up 24/285, west across 82, south on 133 to Hotchkiss, pick up 92 south, then back across 50 to Sadalia. 329 miles acordintg to S&T. Is that too far given the roads? Sort of a "twisty butt" of Colorado in that it would take all day with no stops?
That is a good route.

FYI the last time I went through Hotchkiss there were something like 2 gas stations left-- others were closed down. I'd recommend filling up before heading south. I was going to Montrose, and figured I'd gas up someplace in between (last stop had been Carbondale and I was on a V Strom 650 getting 50mpg). I got to Montrose on fumes-- had less than .2gal remaining. Everyone was out of business between Hotchkiss and Montrose, and I don't recall any place to stop going east on 50 to Gunnison.

Hopefully the economy has improved and there are more fuel stops now.

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Farmington&1s=NM&1y=US&1l=36.7281&1g=-108.218102&1v=CITY&2c=Salida&2s=CO&2y=US&2l=38.534698&2g=-105.998299&2v=CITY

I know that this is not very scenic if my senile old memory serves me well, but this is what Mr. MapQuest recommends and it will get us to Salida quickly to settle on in.
Just a minor tweak - going from South Fork to Creede to Lake City to Slumgullion Pass to Gunnison to Salida. Adds 100 miles and 3 hours and lots of twisties and scenery.

Last time I rode that area, Montrose had lots of fuel and places to eat. Actually, we fueled up there and then went downtown to eat.

I know a few years ago, we rode from Gunnison to Montrose, to Aspen, over Independence Pass, by Salida, and then back over Monarch Pass (Is that right?) back to Gunnison. That was with Harleys and a LONG lunch stop in Aspen. From Salida, the route would almost be the same, and totally doable on the Feej.

Oh...And Don, they were calling me a work of art because I am a modern Adonis. It's harrrrrd to be humble when you're as handsome as me donkey boy!