Bike Week trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mophead

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Number One Son and I are planning on going to Daytona Bike week this year. Any tips on lodging, where not to go, how to make the best time?

Our plan is to leave Amarillo and head to Daytona, get a t shirt and head to Key West for a picture by the southernmost point, then back toward New Orleans and then back home. All in a week or maybe 8 days. Never been to Florida so any local wisdom on going to Daytona and Key West would be greatly appreciated. I figure Bike Week is like Sturgis and lots of lines. We don't intend to hang around for that. Just blow in and out. More concerned about the travel to Key West and how long that might take to get in and out of there. Probably some spring breakers in there also.

Any sage advice appreciated. Going on 06 and 08 FJR's. Should be a hoot if the weather treats us decent.

Sounds like fun. I don't know anything about Florida, but if you stay in New Orleans, try the Le Richelieu Hotel. https://www.lerichelieuhotel.com/ It is right in the French Quarter, off street parking, and had real reasonable rates. She gave me the "I called from the Vistor's Center" rate. I think it was $79.00.

Both bike week and Key West it sorta depends one when exactly you'll be there. Bike Week tends to be biggest the last few days/weekend; What do you want to do there? the demo rides are mostly out by the racetrack except for BMW. The Main St. thing is fun during the day w/Beach St & BMW dealer on mainside just before you go across. Much activity has moved up to Ormand Beach and I personally also like to go out to Stetson University in Deland to look at the bikes in the auction and see that swap meet. If you camp then a good place is inside the speedway, if not, well there's places all over and goes back to what you want to do.

The trick to Key West is not going south on a Friday or north on a Sunday - and even then you can do that if you do it very early. KW itself is expensive if you stay downtown near Duval St - unless you are retired military then can stay on Trumbo. Most affordable is to stay up near where you come on to the island then taxi it down or rent bicycles or even scooters from one of the many vendors.

These are all just general tips but PM me or post up your sched and expectations and will try to help further. I live near Daytona so never pay a hotel as I just do day trips. I also go to Key West frequently but am retired Navy so have options the general public does not. I always stay on Trumbo Pt naval station so don't pay the hotel fees many do.

Both bike week and Key West it sorta depends one when exactly you'll be there. Bike Week tends to be biggest the last few days/weekend; What do you want to do there? the demo rides are mostly out by the racetrack except for BMW. The Main St. thing is fun during the day w/Beach St & BMW dealer on mainside just before you go across. Much activity has moved up to Ormand Beach and I personally also like to go out to Stetson University in Deland to look at the bikes in the auction and see that swap meet. If you camp then a good place is inside the speedway, if not, well there's places all over and goes back to what you want to do.

The trick to Key West is not going south on a Friday or north on a Sunday - and even then you can do that if you do it very early. KW itself is expensive if you stay downtown near Duval St - unless you are retired military then can stay on Trumbo. Most affordable is to stay up near where you come on to the island then taxi it down or rent bicycles or even scooters from one of the many vendors.

These are all just general tips but PM me or post up your sched and expectations and will try to help further. I live near Daytona so never pay a hotel as I just do day trips. I also go to Key West frequently but am retired Navy so have options the general public does not. I always stay on Trumbo Pt naval station so don't pay the hotel fees many do.

PM sent.