2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting your feedback. My wife is actually looking at buying herself one, possibly this year. She's been following all the reviews and write ups on it since it hit the U.S. and has yet to read a negative review.

Cheesy, she had a Bandit 600 before her current bike, and the size and weight of the Ninja are pretty close, but as Mike said, it has a much lower center of gravity. This should make it more friendly for shorter riders.

Givi now has brackets and bags available for that might run you less than the Kawi set up. And she said she saw that Southwest Mototech also has brackets for the Ninja 1000 that give you different bag options.

Paul

I actually was going to buy a Ninja 1000. I took one for a test ride last summer. It is a great bike. However, when I checked into insurance I changed my mind. I must have inquired with a dozen insurance companies. The cheapest insurance I found cost way more than I was willing to pay. I decided to go a completely different direction and get the FJR. Insurance on the FJR was about 1/3 of what it would have been on the Ninja 1000. The Ninja is the only bike out there that my wife likes more than her Bandit, so I'm hoping the insurance companies get their act together and stop treating it like a ZX-10. For the type of riding I do, the FJR is really a better fit for me, but I'd love my wife to get one so I can borrow it frequently.

I looked hard at the new Ninja 1000 last fall. I also looked at the FJR but I deceided to go with the Ninja because it was a bitt smaller. I picked up the phone to tell the dealer to get her ready... and I thought "maybe I should check the insurance first". I'm 38 years old with a perfect record and perfect credit... how bad could it be??? It was SKY HIGH!!! I was shocked! I am an insurance agent so I should know what to expect but I was truly blown away. I even checked other companies other than my own... and they were all high.

I ended up going with a left over 2009 Aprilia Shiver. I liked the idea of it being a smaller, get around town, type of bike... and it is. I love it for around town...tons of fun...but it's not very confortable on the interstate. So I'm back to looking for a sport tourer. It looks like the FJR is the way to go... at least until the Ninja 1000 comes down on its insurance cost.

The ninja 1000 and multistrada 1200s are the two top contenders for when I wear out the fjr (80k and losing 2nd gear.... got a couple years left in it).

If the fjr weighed 100 lbs less I would just buy another fjr.

I priced insurance today for a FJR, GSX1250FA, and a Ninja 1000. Here are the rates...

FJR = $896

1250FA = $2791

Ninja 1000 = $2791

I'm an agent and I can't understand why the Suzuki and the Ninja would be that much higher. It's crazy!

I don't understand why some people think the FJR is a heavy bike. It's not, it's not even that big of a bike IMO. Have your ridden a M109R or Goldwing or Ultraglide or new C14, those are much bigger & heavier bikes. No it's not a 400lb little 600cc sport bike but it's not that big. I don't find it cumbersome at all.

But I guess it all comes down to personal choice and what kind of riding you like to do best. Smaller bikes are more agile but then you loose the comfort factor usually. There's certainly pros/cons to every bike.

I priced insurance today for a FJR, GSX1250FA, and a Ninja 1000. Here are the rates...

FJR = $896

1250FA = $2791

Ninja 1000 = $2791

I'm an agent and I can't understand why the Suzuki and the Ninja would be that much higher. It's crazy!
Where in the world are you getting your rates from? My FJR rate is under $400 a year from Progressive. Those other bikes rates are absolutely redonkulous!!!!

That's it in a nutshell... I've ridden both side by side and the C14 didn't feel any heavier than the FJR. It actually carries its weight lower, to me. Both are WAY heavier than the N1K and both are WAY longer than the N1K. That mattered to ME, which is why I bought the Ninja and unloaded the FJR... Personal preference, which is no wrong answer.

I don't understand why some people think the FJR is a heavy bike. It's not, it's not even that big of a bike IMO. Have your ridden a M109R or Goldwing or Ultraglide or new C14, those are much bigger & heavier bikes. No it's not a 400lb little 600cc sport bike but it's not that big. I don't find it cumbersome at all.

But I guess it all comes down to personal choice and what kind of riding you like to do best. Smaller bikes are more agile but then you loose the comfort factor usually. There's certainly pros/cons to every bike.

FJR = $896

1250FA = $2791

Ninja 1000 = $2791

Where in the world are you getting your rates from? My FJR rate is under $400 a year from Progressive. Those other bikes rates are absolutely redonkulous!!!!
Yea I was paying $278 thru progressive for my FJR. They wanted $1289 for the Ninja. I'm now with Allstate with increased coverages for $520-ish.

I'd definetly shop before you buy the bike. The insurance racket was an attention getter...

Mike

$200/yr with $175 collision deductible through Progressive.

My quote for a 2011 Ninja 1000 with $500 deductibles was $1600 a year. Man, that's a lot of tires and gas I can burn up with my FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed .. it is all relative.

I'm not saying the N1000 is better than the FJR in all things, just most things [like weight/power/handling], and gives up very little in the rest [comfort/luggage] and falls flat in passenger accommodations (it is also a few thousand less expensive).

Having ridden sportier bikes in the past, the FJR feels cumbersome to me, and that's one of the reasons the Ninja 1000 is so appealing.

What's also interesting is if you read motorcycle magazine write ups about certain bikes and you have 3 different sized professional riders with 3 different riding backgrounds in the test ride you can get a completely different opinion or take on their riding experience on whatever bike their testing.

A 5'-7" guy that weighs 160lbs. with a smaller sportbike riding background will have one opinion about a bike and a 6'-2" guy that weighs 225lbs with a mixed cruiser riding background will have a completely different opinion.

Which is exactly why I sold mine.

I'm not saying the N1000 is better than the FJR in all things, just most things [like weight/power/handling], and gives up very little in the rest [comfort/luggage] and falls flat in passenger accommodations (it is also a few thousand less expensive).

Having ridden sportier bikes in the past, the FJR feels cumbersome to me, and that's one of the reasons the Ninja 1000 is so appealing.

What's also interesting is if you read motorcycle magazine write ups about certain bikes and you have 3 different sized professional riders with 3 different riding backgrounds in the test ride you can get a completely different opinion or take on their riding experience on whatever bike their testing.

A 5'-7" guy that weighs 160lbs. with a smaller sportbike riding background will have one opinion about a bike and a 6'-2" guy that weighs 225lbs with a mixed cruiser riding background will have a completely different opinion.

Sorry to go off thread... but GeorgiaRoller... I just watched your "Take a Breath" video. GREAT JOB!!! It was better than any YouTube video on the FJR I've found. Nice! :D

Thanks for posting your feedback. My wife is actually looking at buying herself one, possibly this year. She's been following all the reviews and write ups on it since it hit the U.S. and has yet to read a negative review.

Cheesy, she had a Bandit 600 before her current bike, and the size and weight of the Ninja are pretty close, but as Mike said, it has a much lower center of gravity. This should make it more friendly for shorter riders.

Givi now has brackets and bags available for that might run you less than the Kawi set up. And she said she saw that Southwest Mototech also has brackets for the Ninja 1000 that give you different bag options.

Paul

Hi Paul, If Gina ends up buying one of these and wishes the bars were a little closer, i may be able to help. Rememer my friend Rick's bike. (last summer at wahoo eatery in Wilmington vt).. He had trouble with wrist comfort- the stock position wasn't right for him. We tried a few different positions with his handlebar clamps where they clamp on to top of fork tubes. We ended up deciding that rotating the bars in approx 8 degrees yielded a much more comfortable position for his hands.

So I designed a set of risers that accomplished the rotation and also picked the bars up a quarter inch. A friend of mine who own a machine shop in Hudson NH made the parts from solid aluminum. Rick is very happy with them.

If you're intersted sometime, let me know.

So I designed a set of risers that accomplished the rotation and also picked the bars up a quarter inch. A friend of mine who own a machine shop in Hudson NH made the parts from solid aluminum. Rick is very happy with them.

If you're intersted sometime, let me know.
From Gina --

Thanks for the offer. Given all the discussion about insurance costs, I've decided I might hold off for another year, at least. I'm now thinking that I might be better off just putting the money towards a few aging parts on my current bike and hope it holds out for another season or two. Any idea what Rick is paying for insurance on his? I haven't checked with our agent, but I know it's going to be quite a bit more than the $225 I'm paying now!

Progressive for $169 annually with 250/500 bodily injury, 100 property, $500 deductible.

Thanks Flo. ;)

Has anyone with a Ninja 1000 found a way to put a real seat on one? My passenger would refuse to ride on that seat.

If the Ninja 1000 had cruise control (for long trips) I would buy one.

I priced insurance today for a FJR, GSX1250FA, and a Ninja 1000. Here are the rates...FJR = $896

1250FA = $2791

Ninja 1000 = $2791

There's something wrong with those rates.

I have NATIONWIDE insurance and the FJR and the 1250FA are virtually the same rate, about $20.00 more for the FJR per year.

Full coverage and uninsured motorist included. 52 years old clean record.

The NINJA is higher because it's considered a Sport Bike and has the Ninja name, you're an agent??

Mike....nice bike!

I looked at the Ninja 1000 and almost bought one a few months back, but I was looking for more comfort for a all day ride.

I traded a Bandit1250 which has a more relaxed seating position than the Ninja 1000 but I still wanted more comfort.

The FJR is a all day rider than doesn't leave me feeling beat after riding all day.

If you do a long all day ride on that Ninja I'm sure you'll feel the difference from the FJR in the comfort department.

I'd LIKE to have a Ninja 1000 AND a FJR, but can't afford it right now.

Those insurance rates will always be high as long as Kawi keeps calling that bike a "NINJA"....Ninja to the insurance companies means "SPORTBIKE".......and it really is a sportbike with a sane riding position.

Race Tech front and Penske Double clicker rear and a new pair of soft shoes (PR2's) and a nice set of TWISTIES and I'd give you and your Ninja a run for your money. Some of us push our FJR's way beyond what most riders would consider safe. That being said, It really is like the rest of the guy's have previously stated, what ever you enjoy is fine with most of us. Good Luck with the new ride. You should have kept the Feejer. Just Sayin! But hey what do I know? #65 MotoSeries