EOM '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about time we nailed down the site for EOM '07. Those of you leaning toward WV need to name a place and circumstances very soon. We then need to have folks chime in and give their preference.... go to a new area or return to Boone. There's great riding all over NC, V, TN, and WV. IT's the total "package" that should determine where we end up. We need options for housing and restaurants, which tends to dictate a community of some size so that our group can exercise choices...we may not all want to stay at the same place or do the same things during the evening. I noticed at EOM '06 that there were a fair number of people who were looking forward to doing things besides riding all the time....which means our destination should be acommodating to their needs as well and provide more than just great roads. A great location, like Boone, meets all these requirements but if there are equal , or better, places to consider.....then I am all ears.

As I see it, the folks who are stepping up to pull this event together get to pick the place. Just let me know when and where and I will be there.

Did you guys know that the Super-8 in Dahlonega GA has Internet? Wow!

Did you know that it's gonna be 16 here tonight? More wow!

Oh, about WV...

The only thing I have against WV is that I have to go through VA to get there. (VA doesn't allow RDs and that makes me very sad.) So I guess I'll have to plot a route through Maine or something. Maybe a big ramp so that I can just jump right over the entire state of VA.

I understand those folks attending EOM with SOs wanting other things to do besides ride. But I would like more riding, not less. I especially would like to identify some challenging sections that could be ridden both directions with recon etc. and possibly do some technique critique and skill development. I'll go ahead and volunteer to bring video, laptop etc. so that we can film folks and then flame away at night with beer in hand.

Grumpy can instruct. Maybe I can help in the sweeper class?

I am also willing to bring the cager with tools etc. But Heidi has to promise not to say one stinkin word about Trailer Queen Squidward!

Last edited by a moderator:
Huron,Adam here. :D Glad to hear that you’ve traversed some of the well advertised and some of the lesser-known (read well raped) parts of our fine state and appreciate its intrinsic value. Next time you wish to stay near Pineville, might give Twin Falls State Park a try – it’s very nice and gimme a holler, let's ride.

I have little in deciding where the next rally is going to be... let alone which motel.

I must admit Pineville was one of the poorer areas of the state. Nice roads though. Just a Different style of life.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I have against WV is that I have to go through VA to get there. (VA doesn't allow RDs and that makes me very sad.) So I guess I'll have to plot a route through Maine or something. Maybe a big ramp so that I can just jump right over the entire state of VA.
I was beginning to think I was the only one who is sensitive to Va's unconstitutional banning of radar detectors. On the way back to Maine from Boone last Sept, I thought the Roanoke area had a lot of potential for an EOM, except for......that! :angry2:

:assassin:

As I see it, the folks who are stepping up to pull this event together get to pick the place. Just let me know when and where and I will be there.
+1 I just wanna know where, so I can plot (wintertime activity since the bike is asleep).

Since I may be changing jobs very soon it looks as if theres a chance I night be able to make this. I'm all over WV. Went to Canaan Valley last year and had a blast. I imagine most of the riding in other areas of WV is very similar.

Pick a place and I'll see if I can make it. Of course, I'd like to se EOM in New England some time. I'd help plan that rally.

Tom

Pick a place and I'll see if I can make it. Of course, I'd like to se EOM in New England some time. I'd help plan that rally.
Tom

What Tom said

except for helping out to plan a rally in the New England states (I'm not from there) :unsure:

Hey that's my name too!

After today's ride I nominate North Ga. as a future EOM host. Great roads!!!
There are some nice roads there; however, you really need to be careful about where and when. In the fall down around Helen the traffic is terrible. Actually, I don't go down too deep into N.Ga unless I'm coming out of NC or TN because of the traffic.

I have received a PM from one of our forum members extolling the virtues of Lewisburg and suggesting that it would make a great location for EOM '07. I quess that my affinity for Boone, NC, has some people believing that I represent some sort of obsticle to going anywhere else.....which in itself is a little amusing because I have practically nothing to say about where we go.

Boone was a wonderful place for our event. Everyone agrees that it certainly raised the bar as being a capable venue. My emphasizing Boone was simply to establish some level of expectation as to what a site selection should offer to all segments of our group. A few members voiced their opinion that great roads to ride had to be the primary consideration....to heck with anything else. That, to me, is a selfish viewpoint. We all respond to great rides, but a good EOM site has to offer more. We happen to be very fortunate, in that the entire mountain region we focus on has great roads and there surely must be some sites...other than Boone...that can offer the "total package" we desire. I'm just saying that we have elevated expectations now and the "07 site should be carefully chosen.

I've mentioned that a decision regarding time and place should be agreed upon soon. The time element is probably more important at this juncture. Many people need to establish time-off or vacation requests at the beginning of the year....the sooner they can have dates to plan around, the greater participation we can expect.

As another member said, those folks willing to step up and take on the responsibility of planning this event should determine where it is held. How well it is attended will reflect upon their decision.

A few members voiced their opinion that great roads to ride had to be the primary consideration....to heck with anything else. That, to me, is a selfish viewpoint. We all respond to great rides, but a good EOM site has to offer more. ......the entire mountain region we focus on has great roads and there surely must be some sites...other than Boone...that can offer the "total package" we desire. I'm just saying that we have elevated expectations now and the "07 site should be carefully chosen.
Let's see, a point of view that is focused on riding is "selfish"???? Are we Harley drivers whose primary purpose is to profile and try to remain vertical between watering holes? Is the motorcyle, the FJR1300, just an object around which we just congregate for some other higher purpose other than riding? What exactly is the "total package" and how do you define "we"? If "we" have "elevated expectations" then there must be a prioritized list of items in the total package that are expected. Maybe the EOM is just like a class reunion, an excuse to swap lies and get drunk? If that is the case, why not pick Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, Savannah, Charleston, etc.

Sprint, what he means by the total package is: riding, lodging, restaurants and entertainment. A large majority of us have to take annual vacation and while the main focus is to ride we also want to enjoy the social aspect of the meeting. We can all ride just about anytime...that's why we all have the FJR. Adding the social aspect just adds to the "total package". My wife attends with me and if the location doesn't support anything but great roads, I'll have to pass on it this year.

PS: I thought most Marines were a little more sensitive, at least the ones I trained were.

USN-Ret :assassin:

Bob, what happened to the Triple? Are you waiting for an 07? Lots of 06's still out there you know. Best of the holidays to you!

Wade

PS: I thought most Marines were a little more sensitive, at least the ones I trained were.USN-Ret :assassin:

Wade
Marines, sensitive??? Isn't that an oxymoron? They sure weren't grunts.

I've been riding since about 1966 and have been doing sport touring on two lane roads since the beginning. Two wheels on interesting roads is the only reason I ride. The social stuff is OK but way down my priority list.

The kind of guys I ride with would definitely prefer a hotel to a tent but that hotel better be close to great roads. It doesn't have to have a mint on the pillow or Bollinger on ice. Like I said early on, you guys need to go to Boone, it just means less traffic in WV.