EOM 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duane was just performing a field test to confirm manufacture claims of the newest sport touring tires being the best wet traction tire on the market.

He was also field testing just how water proofing his new boots were.

mud%2520fjr.jpg

ummmmmm......why is he in the creek......? :detective2:

I ride these W. NC roads as often as I can. I've never been to a FJR meet, can guys just show up for the day? What time does the ride typically start? Anything a else a new guy should know?

Yes, you're always welcome to stop in and kick tires. the typical schedule is ride, eat, sleep, repeat... No formal "launch" time, it's up to the groups that decide to ride together to pick a departure time. As EOM gets closer, there will be threads posted about "who's riding where with how, etc.", and most rides get put together the night prior in the parking lot or hotel lobby. That's the best part, IMHO, is the mingling and putting names to faces.

The Rally fees cover t-shirts, rally name tags, and food. We typically have a light dinner on friday night, and a banquet with buffet dinner saturday night. It's a great time, come stay awhile!

Additional information will be posted here and on the EOM website once we get the hotel info finalized. check back often!

Wayne

I ride these W. NC roads as often as I can. I've never been to a FJR meet, can guys just show up for the day? What time does the ride typically start? Anything a else a new guy should know?

Additional information will be posted here and on the EOM website once we get the hotel info finalized. check back often!

Wayne
Ok I'll keep checking this thread. When you say the "EOM website" are you talking about the EOM sub-forum on this website or a totally different website I need to be looking at?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne
Ok I'll keep checking this thread. When you say the "EOM website" are you talking about the EOM sub-forum on this website or a totally different website I need to be looking at?
GR, I would check the EOM subforum regularly...Based on past years, I'm pretty sure that a thread will probably be started that says something like "Register Now...EOM website up" or something like that. That post will have a link to a website that will allow people to register for the event online.

No contest neccassary. I'm going to do it just because I can...

here's how the conversation with Annette will go (I know, because we had it last year).

Annette "is that gravel?"

me "huh?"

Annette "bastard, you heard me"

me "hang on"

Annette "effn Ashe, I'm going to punch him next time I see him"

me "right"

Annette "stop and let me off, I'm walking"

me "can't stop, we'll fall over"

Annette "I hate Ashe"

silence for the next 45 + minutes...

I don't care what google street view shows, this is not a paved road, and it has some steep mofo 1st gear up and downhill switchbacks.

That sounds like a contest for FJR riders.

First one to video their ascent AND descent on the Burkes Garden back road WINS! :yahoo:

....is not a paved road, and it has some steep mofo 1st gear up and downhill switchbacks.

Whoever Annette is...she's the smart one. Just saying. ;)

Downhill switchbacks on gravel? Somebody is gonna panic pull on their front brake and down they'll go. No thanks!

Adventure riding on twistie dirt roads riding solo on dual sports is one thing. Riding two up on a STREET BIKE on said twistie dirt roads is a whole other thing. For you guys that think the FJR is a dual sport...(clears throat)...it's not. That's why bike builders actually make specific dual sport style bikes.

No argument there - that's why she's my "better" half.

This was self induced adventure, not one of the published EOM routes. And this is part of my "gotta have another motorcycle" strategy.

Whoever Annette is...she's the smart one. Just saying. ;)

Downhill switchbacks on gravel? Somebody is gonna panic pull on their front brake and down they'll go. No thanks!

Adventure riding on twistie dirt roads riding solo on dual sports is one thing. Riding two up on a STREET BIKE on said twistie dirt roads is a whole other thing. For you guys that think the FJR is a dual sport...(clears throat)...it's not. That's why bike builders actually make specific dual sport style bikes.

No contest neccassary. I'm going to do it just because I can...

here's how the conversation with Annette will go (I know, because we had it last year).

Annette "is that gravel?"

me "huh?"

Annette "bastard, you heard me"

me "hang on"

Annette "effn Ashe, I'm going to punch him next time I see him"

me "right"

Annette "stop and let me off, I'm walking"

me "can't stop, we'll fall over"

Annette "I hate Ashe"

silence for the next 45 + minutes...

I don't care what google street view shows, this is not a paved road, and it has some steep mofo 1st gear up and downhill switchbacks.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That sir...is funny.

Now it's funny. At the time, not so much...
Coming home from CFR/Mont Tremblant Christie and I ended up taking this freshly paved shortcut (according to the GPS). Ya, that lasted for about 500 feet. Then it was hard packed gravel. Then it was loose packed gravel. Then it was no gravel. Then we passed a sawmill, no joke!. Then I crossed an old wooden bridge. Odd, they named it the 'Ferme' Bridge.

Just as soon as I crossed the bridge I got a french lesson from Christie. Seems Ferme means CLOSED.

The road was to rough and narrow to turn around the FJR so I just kept going. Not a Jean Guy to be seen for about 20 minutes. The poof! back out on to the hwy.

Gotta tell you, I was getting a little worried there. The last words I heard from Christie for about an hour were "Don't do that again 'kay"

Okay.

I already got the "you better take a long hard look at any squiggly lines on the map you decide to 'explore' with me on the back seat, mister"

That sir...is funny.
Annette can always ride with me Wayne....not sure which will be worse but hey I will be in the Audi.....

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Promise to bring your camera?

I already got the "you better take a long hard look at any squiggly lines on the map you decide to 'explore' with me on the back seat, mister"
What I'm getting out of this is maybe I should bring the trailer with both the FJR and the WR. Now that Fred W owns a WR250 we will start seeing some awesome routes at NERDS.

What I'm getting out of this is maybe I should bring the trailer with both the FJR and the WR. Now that Fred W owns a WR250 we will start seeing some awesome routes at NERDS.
Let me know if you do bring both at NERDS. You may have an orange guy riding the mud with ya.

Already looking forward to EOM. Susan and I had a ball last September and are looking forward to the new roads this year. Wayne, thanks for taking the bull by the horns again this year and organizing this event.

That sir...is funny.
Annette can always ride with me Wayne....not sure which will be worse but hey I will be in the Audi.....

R
So Fairlaner's running interference in the Audi. Excellent! :yahoo:

Josie and I have cleared our schedules in September, so we'll be able to attend EOM again this fall. :yahoo:

We're looking forward to riding some more of the BRP, not during Sunday congestion like we did last year. :glare: But you guys are all wrong. At FJR group events like EOM and NERDS you have to ride those gravel roads on an FJR!! Having a dirt bike along would be like cheating. Besides, I'll be damned if I want to waste a perfectly good multi-day road trip by hauling bikes on a trailer!! :nono:

No, no... we'll just have to plan a dirty group ride on some other weekend, just for those of us with the DS bikes. I'm planning on riding the PDR in Vermont this May, probably on the Man-strom. If that turns out to be fun (which I'm sure it will) maybe we can put something together including that? Maybe do the PDR and the TMT back to back? :unsure:

PS - Wayne, I thought that road you linked to looks awesome, at least on Google Maps Streetview it does. Hell, it's called the Forest Highway 213!! Yeah, you can tell it's gravel, but it looks to be pretty hard and plenty smooth enough. I'd ride that on a Feejer for sure. That's exactly the kind of road I drag all the other NERDS down all the time. And they all tell me they love it. :rofl: