EOM 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Streetview WAS the problem; it "looked" like hard pack and I thought "easy day" for sure. But it turned out to be loose golfball sized gravel. there had not been enough traffic to compact it at all. The northern third was not too back on the way down - there were a couple of cabins scattered along there and the road was more traveled from that side. Definitely not for the faint of heart...

As a side note, "off-roading" on a street bike like the FJR is not for everyone. It's a personal choice, and level of risk the rider has to be willing to accept. I see posts to the effect of you're an idiot to where's that road at again. If it's not for you, then fine. If it is, fine. I just don't want anyone to get the impression that EOM is about seeing how gnarly of a goat trail you can survive. If there is gravel on any of the routes this year, I hope to be able to advertise it so riders can make an informed decision before they leave that morning.

And washing the bike like Duane did last year is not the recommended method either, but it works...

PS - Wayne, I thought that road you linked to looks awesome, at least on Google Maps Streetview it does. Hell, it's called the Forest Highway 213!! Yeah, you can tell it's gravel, but it looks to be pretty hard and plenty smooth enough. I'd ride that on a Feejer for sure. That's exactly the kind of road I drag all the other NERDS down all the time. And they all tell me they love it. :rofl:

I agree completely. That's why at NERDS we have a "6 Gaps" ride and a "4 Gaps" ride. The latter one deleting the two Gaps that are not fully paved. It's important to have full disclosure in advance if there will be any off-roading involved.

Loose golf balls? Yikes. Screw that. :p

Maybe they had just regraded it or something? I know they do that in this area after the winter takes its toll, and the dirt roads get really loose and ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: 7 Feb 12: The hotel info is now solid.

Quality Inn & Suites Room Rates:

201 Sugarloaf Road Standard $59.99/night

Hendersonville, NC 28792 Suite $69.99/night (828)692-7231

Group Reservations ID: Yamaha FJR1300 EOM Rates are good for duration of stay, so long as you register under the group name. This covers anyone arriving early, or staying later than the event dates. You can make reservations anytime now.

We have all 99 rooms blocked right now. The room block will be held until 20 August 2012. At that time, any remaining unreserved rooms will be released to the front desk to sell – this is standard protocol for group events. You have to call the hotel to make reservations, if you try using the choicehotels.com site, it will show no rooms available.

If we fill the hotel, there are other hotel properties adjacent to the Quality Inn. The closest is the Ramada Inn, then a Hampton Inn on the same side of I-26, then just about every other hotel brand on the other side of I-26. I will be contacting those other hotels to inquire about blocking down some overflow rooms.

There is NO restaurant in the hotel. They serve a hot continental breakfast, but that is it. There is just about every kind of restaurant locally, with a handful within walking distance. We will be catering in the Friday and Saturday meals using a local catering business. I am certain this will give us a better selection, better pricing, and better chow than ever before.

This is NOT the Ritz Carrolton. But it does offer the basics – a bed to sleep in, plenty of gathering space (both indoors and outdoors), and most importantly, a staff that has hosted my motorcycle groups in the past and a willingness to accommodate. From their website: "Guests are invited to enjoy the atrium area and take advantage of the game room, exercise room and miniature golf course." The GM is a rider, and looks forward to having us visit.

Here is a link to the North Carolina ABC Commission. You can buy beer/alcohol in Hendersonville. Jason will not have to stop at Kroger on the way up and fill his truck with Bud Light this year (hey, maybe he'll even ride a motorcycle!). Want something special, Google is your friend.

Stay tuned for more news and updates – there are some very exciting developments taking shape for this year's EOM.

wow...thanks Wayne for arranging that! :clapping:

I thought I didn't have enough vacation to make this trip. I think I am going to try to shoehorn this in...SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Booked!! :yahoo: I'll be coming in late on the 20th and heading out the 23rd. Only two full days "in country" for riding... oh well.