EOM 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EOM 11

This was taken half way up the side of a mtn, well past the chickens and the donkey's. Al looks like he's about to bust a cap in my ass for taking him up here. This is the GOOD part of the road.

Tip: Never be the first one to ride an unknown route.

IMG_1307.jpg
Looks like an Audi road....

R
You will have insurance on your Audi for brush marks from the narrow trail, donkey kick marks and banjo bits on your rental, no?

Good plan B-G. Another strategy is to wait out front and see who trips over you on the way out the door.

DSC_0169.jpg

For the first-timers, I have come up with a handy method to determine who to ride with.

1. Go to the damn rally.

2. When you get there, get some beer (or other libations of your choice) and head to the parking lot.

2a. If fencer asks if you like strawberries / cherries / some kind of fruit, say no. Trust me. There's a reason why I know this.

3. When you get up the next morning, head to breakfast and look for others with the same level of altitude sickness. Chances are, if they're at breakfast at the same time as you are, they've got the same level of altitude sickness and you can ride with them.
You guys are hilarious! As I was scrolling down this page, my first response was - WOW! These guys must not have been able to get a room! What dedication!

For the first-timers, I have come up with a handy method to determine who to ride with.

1. Go to the damn rally.

2. When you get there, get some beer (or other libations of your choice) and head to the parking lot.

2a. If fencer asks if you like strawberries / cherries / some kind of fruit, say no. Trust me. There's a reason why I know this.

3. When you get up the next morning, head to breakfast and look for others with the same level of altitude sickness. Chances are, if they're at breakfast at the same time as you are, they've got the same level of altitude sickness and you can ride with them.
B-G

that is excellent advice and I pretty much used that at the last EOM. The only thing that might be of additional value is to note what

they are eating for breakfast. Make sure you ride in front of the guy having nothing but dry toast.

:bike:

funny story (isn't there always?).

The name of this photo is "Zero Seven Hundred". So after much discussion the night before from a member of this group centered around the importance of an prompt departure, there they were waiting on the exact individual who made it a point that everyone was to be ready to roll at 7 am sharp. Zero 7 Hundred were his exact words, if I recall correctly. Now, when you're on vacation with your significant other, vacation being the key term there, it can be a tiny bit difficult to get things moving early in morning. But, most made it happen, even though they face near mutiny.

When it was discovered that the departure time would be adjusted to the right, the rest of the members decided to catch a quick cat nap while they waited...
I can gather up a really good guess as to who the zero 7 hundred person is. Did it include some talk about kickstands up?

Hey, since we're now just 206 days from EOM, here's a few more pictures from my archives...

Lunch, somewhere in Virginia, 2007.

100_4669.jpg

Highlands Scenic Drive, West Virginia (off US219, north of Lewisburg) 2007.

100_4682.jpg

And a stop along the BRP (also 2007).

100_4728.jpg

This reminds me of the weather when Karen and I drove from Charlotte to EOM in 2009 and the reason i will be there in the car..... :clapping:

100_4669.jpg

R

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to wake you bears in hibernation, but as I type here, I have kleenex in my hand, wiping tears away...i decided to try to torque my 600 mile service oil plug bolt to owner's manual spec of 31ft lbs, and it stripped... :( sad day.... i never stripped an oil pan before on any vehicle....sigh......

Well, this happened 2 days ago...research here on the forum and outside suggested the Time-sert fix...The kit is on the way....I will take the forum's advice and only torque future oil changes to about 22-28 ft lbs...

Oh well, live and learn (and spend on the lesson).....

I don't want to wake you bears in hibernation, but as I type here, I have kleenex in my hand, wiping tears away...i decided to try to torque my 600 mile service oil plug bolt to owner's manual spec of 31ft lbs, and it stripped... :( sad day.... i never stripped an oil pan before on any vehicle....sigh......

Well, this happened 2 days ago...research here on the forum and outside suggested the Time-sert fix...The kit is on the way....I will take the forum's advice and only torque future oil changes to about 22-28 ft lbs...

The threads on my bike stripped after many oil changes around 100,000 miles. I installed a Heli-coil which worked fine. I've since replaced the engine at 117k miles due to transmission issues, but that's another story.

The thing I wanted to say is, the engine case has a slot in the threads which allow the oil to drain completely. When you install the time-sert or heli-coil they block this slot. When you drain your oil in the future you will have about 1/3 of a quart which doesn't drain. I don't see it as a big issue, just an FYI.

Ouch. Are you sure it's 32ftlbs and not 32 IN/LBS?? You may want to have your torque wrench calibrated as well.

Luckily, we have 197 days until EOM - plenty of time to get it fixed...

Ouch. Are you sure it's 32ftlbs and not 32 IN/LBS?? You may want to have your torque wrench calibrated as well.

yes, that was my first thought. There's something a miss with that torque wrench. I would have that calibreated for sure. :clapping:

yes, that was my first thought. There's something a miss with that torque wrench. I would have that calibreated for sure. :clapping:

No, no... This is a well known gaff in the Yamaha documentation. 32 ft.lbs is far too much for an (oily) drain plug threaded into an alloy sump. You could have the most accurate torque wrench in the world and still strip out the threads.

Also, FWIW, whenever you do an oil change, even without a timesert or helicoil in the sump, you always leave a minimum of 15 oz of oil behind in the engine. Yep, that's right almost a full quart of oil can't be drained without opening up the engine. Don't believe it? Check out the specs:

Engine oil quantity

Total amount 4.90 L (5.18 US qt) (4.31 Imp.qt)

Without oil filter cartridge replacement 3.80 L (4.02 US qt) (3.34 Imp.qt)

With oil filter cartridge replacement 4.00 L (4.23 US qt) (3.52 Imp.qt)

Last edited by a moderator:

:eek:fftopic:

Bummer you stripped the threads, but what does this have to do with EOM?

:eek:fftopic: