EOM 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to wake you bears in hibernation, but as I type here, I have kleenex in my hand, wiping tears away...i decided to try to torque my 600 mile service oil plug bolt to owner's manual spec of 31ft lbs, and it stripped... :( sad day.... i never stripped an oil pan before on any vehicle....sigh......

Well, this happened 2 days ago...research here on the forum and outside suggested the Time-sert fix...The kit is on the way....I will take the forum's advice and only torque future oil changes to about 22-28 ft lbs...

Oh well, live and learn (and spend on the lesson).....
:eek:fftopic:

Bummer you stripped the threads, but what does this have to do with EOM?

:eek:fftopic:
Because it's gonna keep him from attending EOM?

Is giving away a free oil pan at EOM?

Is providing a free torquing seminar at EOM?

One other note about the torque values. After you've screwed and unscrewed your drain plug numerous times for oil changes the thread material weakens some each time. The value used when new is not a good value to use after your 5th or 8th oil change. Keep that in mind. I also found the torque values for the bolts that secure the valve cover to be misleading. Those bolts have rubber grommets under them and this causes many false reading. Sometimes you just have to trust your own instincts.

And Fred you are right about the oil volume, (of course) but with the insert there will be a little more staying in.

Thanks all.... I believe it was operator error on the torque wrench... I torqued many other items with the snap-on tool just fine... Thanks for the other tips too... Appreciate your collective wisdom...even the post telling me I am off topic ;) You are right! Sorry! Won't happen again!

Thanks all.... I believe it was operator error on the torque wrench... I torqued many other items with the snap-on tool just fine... Thanks for the other tips too... Appreciate your collective wisdom...even the post telling me I am off topic ;) You are right! Sorry! Won't happen again!
No harm dude. The thread is drifting farther and farther from EOM, that's all.

Sucks about the drain plug, especially on something so vital. But hey, that's why they make thread repair kits. Having been turning wrenches for a ...a very long time, I reserve the torque wrench for the really important stuff such as internal engine parts. 99% of the other stuff is a snug it up. I have my hand calibrated every year. :assassin:

Bummer you stripped the threads, but what does this have to do with EOM?
So, let's tie this together. Catch stripped his drain plug. He feels bad about that. He will feel worse if he doesn't get to EOM. If he doesn't make it to EOM, he will not be able to take advantage of the awesome generosity being offered by Ohlins USA. Ohlins USA is located a stone's throw from EOM HQ. BentAero seems to have some pull with the powers that be within Ohlins USA. They have offered to host a tour of their Hendersonville facility on Friday the 21st of September for all EOM attendees.

So Catch NEEDS to get his oil drain threads fixed. If he doesn't get it fixed, he'll miss EOM. And if he misses EOM, he won't get the opportunity to participate in the Ohlins facility tour. But more importantly, if Catch does not get his oil drain threads fixed, and he misses EOM, he won't have a chance of winning any of the door prizes. And then Catch will be very sad. He will be very sad because he'll miss out on the chance to win this at the door prize raffle:

Click here and scroll to bottom of page….

Me too, me too!!

But I suppose there aren't too many folks that couldn't. ;)

That beats a set of tires by a long shot!! :yahoo:

Oh wait... I just looked that shock up on the Ohlins web site and that is a 2nd gen specific shock.

Will there be an alternate shock model available in the event that the winner owns a 1st gen bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
The winner will get a spring correct shock - I will confirm /w Gary - but IIRC it was a gen correct shock as well...

Or maybe it was if the winner had a gen 1, they get a t-shirt instead...

Oh wait... I just looked that shock up on the Ohlins web site and that is a 2nd gen specific shock.

Will there be an alternate shock model available in the event that the winner owns a 1st gen bike?

So, let's tie this together. Catch stripped his drain plug. He feels bad about that. He will feel worse if he doesn't get to EOM. If he doesn't make it to EOM, he will not be able to take advantage of the awesome generosity being offered by Ohlins USA. Ohlins USA is located a stone's throw from EOM HQ. BentAero seems to have some pull with the powers that be within Ohlins USA. They have offered to host a tour of their Hendersonville facility on Friday the 21st of September for all EOM attendees.

So Catch NEEDS to get his oil drain threads fixed. If he doesn't get it fixed, he'll miss EOM. And if he misses EOM, he won't get the opportunity to participate in the Ohlins facility tour. But more importantly, if Catch does not get his oil drain threads fixed, and he misses EOM, he won't have a chance of winning any of the door prizes. And then Catch will be very sad. He will be very sad because he'll miss out on the chance to win this at the door prize raffle:

Thanks ExtremeMarine....hoahh!

My timesert should be in this week, and by weeks end, I should be again on track to not miss EOM and the over abundance of generosity of Ohlins USA! This hiccup won't keep me off track! :clapping:

speaking of EOM, looking forward to the June Registration...The website is looking better and better.....

The Marine is correct; Shock winner must have a Gen II. He/She must also be a resident of Buncombe County, NC. They also must have the Black Cherry year. (Can you see where this is leading?) Gen I winner will not only get a T-shirt, but a can-koozie as well.

OK, seriously, if winner has a Gen II, they get a YA-036 sprung for them. If the winner has a Gen I, uhhh, I'll get back with you guys in a day or two. I don't expect it to be a problem getting a YA-056 for the earlier bike, but I need to check. I'll post up as soon as I know what it will be.

No matter, you'll want to be there as this is shooting door-prize fish in a very small barrel.

This definitely raises the bar, doesn't it....

I want that door prize!!!
Oh definitely! I want that door prize more than any other door prize @ any of the EOM's! Even more than the Starcoms that we've had in past years.

The bummer of the matter... I usually don't win much of anything. I got a too small t-shirt last year! :( Actually, there was the one & only time that I won something worth using... I got one of those decal kits for the back of my hard bags.

The bummer of the matter... I usually don't win much of anything. I got a too small t-shirt last year! :( Actually, there was the one & only time that I won something worth using... I got one of those decal kits for the back of my hard bags.
At NAFO last year I won something for a GEN II, I don't even remember what it was. Somebody else had one a Crommit insulation kit for a GEN 1. This is right after I finished crossing Utah, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR in a heat wave.

Ya, we did a deal!!

At NAFO last year I won something for a GEN II, I don't even remember what it was. Somebody else had one a Crommit insulation kit for a GEN 1. This is right after I finished crossing Utah, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR in a heat wave.

Ya, we did a deal!!
I didn't know you needed one Steve, you could have had my Crommit insulation kit... Mine has been sitting in the box since I won it. Back in 2005 :rolleyes:

I didn't know you needed one Steve, you could have had my Crommit insulation kit... Mine has been sitting in the box since I won it. Back in 2005 :rolleyes:
Needed on the trip. It would've been nice to have to save from slow-roasting my nuggets. Since then I've put it on the bike and haven't noticed much difference. Except now when I *WANT* the heat between the tank and the frame to warm my fingers up, it's not there. Probably going to remove it in the spring.

My bikes never been noticably hot. Except for when the temps go above 85F/35C, but at those temps. Everything feels hot.