Wife is looking at a 2009 Ninja 650R tomorrow.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today just also happened to be my wife's birthday. So we got the afternoon to go riding and for me to treat her to some sushi. It was a beautiful, sunny, low 60's afternoon.

I think she likes the bike. lol

3-TamaraMuralPic740px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My questions is where does she put all that hair when riding? I know it won't fit in the helmet :p
I'm so glad you asked this question. My wife invented and patented a product specifically for long hair riders. It is called the wrapter and we have been pretty succesful the past two years selling them online and at the motorcycle shows. If anyone wants one for their wife send me a PM.

It rolls up like a condom (hair protection) :D her website is here Clicky
I sent that to my wife. I have a feeling we will be ordering one or two. Oh and To the OP congrats on the new bike. Looks nice.

We did two mods to the Ninja. We installed a rear Lowering Link so she was more flat footed at stops.

And we installed a dark tint Double Bubble windscreen.

Sorry for the bad camera phone pics but this shows the windscreen difference. Actually the Double Bubble is about the same size/length as the stock one however it has a much steeper pitch and much bigger "bubble" design and should really put most of the air stream over her head. We haven't had a chance to test it out and see the difference yet though.

I know Zero Velocity makes these windscreens for pretty much any brand/make/model of sport bike as well if anyone else is interested in them.

Stock Windscreen

StockShield.jpg

Double Bubble

DoubleBubble.jpg

Well she's got 2,000 miles on the bike now. Had to replace the rear tire yesterday because apparently on her last ride she must have run over a small sharp piece of metal or something because after I submerged the rear tire in water (that wasn't holding any air) I found a nice 1/4" slice smack dab in the middle of her tread. So she's got a nice new Shinko rear tire now.

We ordered this exhaust from Arrow last night for her bike. The stock exhaust is silly & quiet sounding. Can't have a sportbike without a little sporty exhaust note!

This is a video I found showing the different between stock exhaust & the Arrow exhaust we ordered...you have to remember my wife rode a Harley with loud Vance Hines pipes for 5yrs. She likes loud pipes! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6PjKUxoPxY&feature=related

Nice setup. My wife has the same screen. Lately she lost her mojo and does not feel like riding. Maybe a new exhaust would help?

IMG_0622crop.jpg

Lately she lost her mojo and does not feel like riding. Maybe a new exhaust would help?
I like your wife's one piece riding suit. She looks like a serious rider!

Why do you think she's not interested in riding lately? Just taking a break from riding or she's loosing interest in it in general? My wife loves to ride and I think it gives her a little sense of accomplishment and independence (not to get too Freudian on the subject) being that she rides her own bike. Sometimes small tweaks and doing a little customizing can create a little more excitement. Plus if she installs it or helps to install it that also helps her take personal ownership of the bike even more.

We like to sightsee and ride to cool places. She rides a Ninja but she's not trying to ride like an aggressive sportbiker on a closed track. She rides pretty mellow.

NinjaCoveredBridge.jpg

Well after a 2hr test ride this morning we decided to completely pull out the silencer tip. It sounds even better. It has a bigger sound now but not obnoxious at all. Took a few pics of the bike this afternoon with the new exhaust.

LowSideView-950px.jpg

SideFrontView-950px.jpg

TamaraBike-950px.jpg

GeorgiaRoller....interesting dilemma you have, especially as I have almost the exact opposite. What I mean by that is that my wife owned a first year model FZ6 and really liked it, even rode it to Montreal, Canada and back with me on our "mega bike trip". She only wished it had more power and was looking at a liter bike before we got out of bikes for the past few years. Being 5'7" tall and around 130lbs my wife did not have the foot peg problem, as I said her only complaint was power.

Roll forward and I buy another FJR to replace the last one I sold those many years ago and I talk to the wife about her bike and she now wants a HD! LOL She really likes the looks of a FatBob but has not ridden one yet. So now we are hunting for a bike that will cost TWICE what my FJR did...oh well at least she will be on two wheels!

If I recall you are Griffin correct? I am in Locust Grove. We need to get together sometime and introduce the ladies to one another. My wife would appreciate hanging with another "biker girl".

Picked up a 650R for my son on Saturday from a good friend and forum member. What a hoot to ride, might have to add a Versys for me!!

[short] Back story -- After many years of me asking, my son finally decided he wanted to learn to ride. We took the MSF Basic Rider course together a couple weeks ago (I passed!) and he did really well on all aspects of the training. Needless to say, he's now hooked. I was all set to buy a starter 250, but after riding a CBR250 (disappointing) and talking to friends, decided he would be bored out of his mind by the second ride. After two rides and 170 miles it was definitely the right decision.

Ninja.jpg

Too bad he's leaving for college in three weeks...I guess it'll be up to 'ol dad to keep the battery up this winter! ;)

--G

After many years of me asking, my son finally decided he wanted to learn to ride.
What's with kids these days? Nobody would have had to ask me twice!

Congrats George! I hope you two have lots of fun together.

Oh, and btw, I don't believe you actually passed the BRC. No way. No how.

After many years of me asking, my son finally decided he wanted to learn to ride.
What's with kids these days? Nobody would have had to ask me twice!
Too many other distractions Skoot. Between school sports and activities, plus computers and internet...if they aren't passionate about something it doesn't happen.

Oh, and btw, I don't believe you actually passed the BRC. No way. No how.
The instructors helped me out with training wheels, honest!! :lol:

--G

Just thought I post about my wife's recent comments on riding the Ninja. Again she rode a HD for 7yrs so a sportbike has been completely different for her. I had her read some specific articles from the book Proficient Motorcycling on handling, cornering..etc. She figured out last month that she can ride the curves much more confident & faster by crouching over her tank as apposed to sitting up straight like she's always done on a HD cruiser. It was nice to see her say that and see the light go off in her head with regards to making this seemingly simply ride position change. Where before she was riding 45mph curves right at 45mph only, she now seems confident in taking them at 60mph...which for her is a big improvement. Her bike obviously could take them much faster & has a ton more lean angle ability...but I just want her to ride safe, confident & at whatever pace she is comfortable with. But it's nice to see her starting to progress in riding this new style bike.

Here's a shot of our bikes last weekend on a Sunday morning ride I took with my Cell Phone.

Bikesatlake.jpg

+1 on the little GSX650F...great bike, kinda like a FJRlite®. :clapping:
Right on SouthernCruizer, I'd suggested the GSX650F too. Its a great bike, a little on the heavier side, yet very friendly, great lean. I had a 08, the only reason I got rid of was, I'm 6'4" 260lbs and I missed the umpf when accelerating. My wife 5'1" 120 found it was almost too fast for her....

Here's a pic:

8122296562_76a26604ac.jpg

Also, here's a webpage, talking about bike ergonomics, you can select every bike there is, put against your height and inseam and it will tell you what the angle of the knees and forward lean of the body.

Bike ergonimocs