Got a new tool in the shed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A DRZ was more like what I was looking for as a trade for the VFR. But then this WR was offered and I started reading up on them, I thought I'd give this a try. By all rights, it may end up being a bit low in the torque department (no replacement for displacement ;) ) but if you spin it up the HP is quite respectable and having fuel injection is a huge benefit IMO. And the suspension on these is pretty darned respectable for a dual sport.

I'm working on making the bike mine now. Yesterday I pulled off the aftermarket FMF header and exhaust can and went back to stock (with the EXUP valve disabled). Much quieter, and for New Hampshire trails riding I definitely want to be in full stealth mode. I should be able to get a couple of Benjamins for the FMF stuff. I weighed both pipes and the stock setup is 4 1/2 pounds heavier. I could (should!) lose 5 lbs anyway.

Next I need to regear the bike for actual dual sporting. Stock gearing on a WRX Sumo is 13/43 (3.307), and WRR's are 13/42 (3.231). Prior owners had it setup with 13/51 (3.923!!) primarily for offroading. With that the bike spins out at about 65mph and first gear is practically unusable. I've got a 14T front and a 48T rear that came with the bike, which should make it more useable both on and off road (3.429), and if I get somewhere that I need to gear down I can just switch the front back to the 13 and have tractor gearing again (3.692) on the same chain.

Around NH, it's all about the dual sporting. There are so few (legal) areas to ride off-road, you really have to connect them up with stretches of pavement, so being street registered is key. When we did have off-road only bikes (Honda XR's) we wore the crap out of the trails up at Hopkinton-Everett (about the only really good offroad riding area in the state). Don't want to be limited to seeing the same scenery every weekend. :nono:

I'd love to do a nice long trail ride up in the Maine woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

If someone who had never gone dirt biking before was interested in a dual sport...what used bike would you recommend to him (or her)?

Edit : reading comprehension issues here. You said dual sport in your question.

To be honest, I think this Yamaha would be good for a beginning dual sporter. It's not overpowering by any means. I suppose that you (or I) may outgrow it faster, but it is a pretty good all around package.

WR250R's can be bought in stock trim with very low mileage for between $2 and 3k. Tell your wife you're getting it because it gets 75 mpg, but you'd really be getting it for the fun factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice trade! Somebody will love that VFR again and it will be ridden I'm sure. With the FJR it makes sense, and now you have a very nice compliment in that spunky 250. Those are nice bikes, the best small d/p bike for sure.