Angle Inlet in May

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning a ride in July, specifically the Pines to Palms. Looking at the map, it doesn't appear to be just a quick in n out up to Angle Inlet. So I figure it might be best to ride up there beforehand and check it out. I am thinking the weekend before Memorial Day weekend or that weekend. I'll be heading out from here Sat. a.m. and head up to Duluth, and then over to A.I. Maybe camp out up there overnight then head back Sun. morn.

It's a bit of early planning, but hey, it's winter. What else is there to do? This will also serve as a good shake down on the aux. tank.

One other thing. A passport might be needed for this trip. Gotta go into Canada just to get back into MN. Like I said, this is kind of an exploratory ride for me.

Mike,

You may want to check out the MNLDRiders web site, there is a bunch of info from the last two of these group rides.

MNLDRiders Look under Rides and the time frames are may of 2010 and May of 2006. Any questions ask away as a few of us on here have completed it. Some not on FJR's though :huh: .

Thanks Peter, I'll check into that site....just as soon as the site's registration is working again. I'm hoping it'll be a good source on what route to take down South. Kinda looking forward to riding up to Angle Inlet in May anyways. Be able to take my time and enjoy the area a little. Won't be able to in July.

I go fishing up just north of the Angle there every June. Good for fishing but not so much for riding in my book! :lol:

I'm guessing by the title it's a ride from nothernmost 48 spot to southernmost in Key West?

That brings up another place that is super boring to ride.... Florida...

Sorry for getting off topic. I do love Palm Trees though. Supposed to be below zero in the morning.

Good for fishing but not so much for riding in my book! :lol:

I'm guessing by the title it's a ride from nothernmost 48 spot to southernmost in Key West?

That brings up another place that is super boring to ride.... Florida...
Ahh but Matt, sometimes it's not always about how great the ride is but to ride to someplace new (and find out for myself how boring it might or might not be).

I have not been to either place, and right now they both sound good for July. Heck, JULY itself sounds good cuz' it's freaking cold outside now. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The last two P2P rides left the Angle in early May and both had below freezing temps and one had snow. But that said with the way this winter has been it might be in the 70s :blink: The gravel road in there is pretty good, mostly hard pack with little marbley stuff. The issue that time of year can be the frost coming out of the ground makes for some occasional woops and soft spots.