What is the maximum size battery that will fit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickBrewer

Reaction score
I have a 2003 FJR that I purchased last summer and I need a new battery for it before spring gets here. I live in Alaska and unfortunately my FJR is put away for the winter and it would be a major undertaking to get to it and measure the maximum size of the battery box.

I am considering getting the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12, but noticed that the Shorai LFX21A6-BS12 is not that much larger physically, but is rated at 315 CCA rather than the 270 CCA of the LFX18.

The LFX18 LxWxH is 148mm x 66mm x 105mm or 5.83" x 2.60" x 4.13"

The LFX21 LxWxH is 148mm x 82mm x 140mm or 5.83" x 3.23" x 5.51"

From what I can tell the FJR takes a 12v14B-4 which is 6.10" x 2.80" x 5.80"

So my question comes down to what is the maximum depth of the battery box for the FJR, will a battery that is 3.23" deep fit?

Thanks for any and all help!

I was just in Anchorage for a couple days this week, you guys got a lot of snow! Give me a bit and I'll go measure mine.

Ok, with no modification I don't think it will fit due to the width. The measurements of the OEM battery you posted are correct and it just fits in the bracket in the battery compartment. There are a few small, thin pieces of foam spacers in there, but they'll only gain you maybe 1/8th inch...maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in Alaska are you sure you want a Shorai? They don't work so good in the cold from what I have heard around here.

I got this off their website:

Q. I hear that lithium crank poorly when it gets cold, is that right?

A.Lithium do increase in resistance more as temperature drops, compared to lead-acid. However, they also react to cranking under cold conditions in a much better way. Lead-acid will increase resistance on each subsequent cranking attempt, until it won’t turn over. If your LFX fails to start the engine on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger, and so on until you get a good start.

Shorai LFX are much better in cold-weather conditions than other-brand lithium starter batteries, due to our eXtreme-rate formulation with low resistance. Down to about 20 degrees fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40f (5C), 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0f (-17C), leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. Any other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc...

Being in Alaska are you sure you want a Shorai? They don't work so good in the cold from what I have heard around here.

I got this off their website:

Q. I hear that lithium crank poorly when it gets cold, is that right?

A.Lithium do increase in resistance more as temperature drops, compared to lead-acid. However, they also react to cranking under cold conditions in a much better way. Lead-acid will increase resistance on each subsequent cranking attempt, until it won’t turn over. If your LFX fails to start the engine on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger, and so on until you get a good start.

Shorai LFX are much better in cold-weather conditions than other-brand lithium starter batteries, due to our eXtreme-rate formulation with low resistance. Down to about 20 degrees fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40f (5C), 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0f (-17C), leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. Any other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc...
It isn't that cold during the summer months once the snow is gone...

I am running a YUASA YTX14-BS which is nearly an inch too wide. I have done my best to get it to fit, liner removal, bracket mod, but I am pulling it out for a smaller battery. Too close for my comfort (safety).

I really want a lithium but aren't convinced they are good for all weather service yet.

Just this week installed a MotoBatt MBT14B4 battery replacing the original battery on a 06'. It fits almost perfectly and cranks the bike well. I will see how the longevity works out, 2 year warranty.

I had read the concerns about cold temperature cranking and read enough to change my thoughts about purchasing the Shoria. Texas temps are no way compared to northern but I do go to work when the temps are in the 20's. I saw the link for battery comparison and choose the yellow battery. The price was $94 and change off of Amazon. The federal mail delivered to the house within 3 days of order.

So far so good but can't say much for the Osram NIGHT BREAKER Plus that got put in too.

Latest posts