2012 SE Ohio Ramble - May 11-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gray Ray will need to break out his long distance touring seat again: :bleh:

captionthis.jpg
Does he put that seat on his race bikes as well?

Wheaton,

I think if he safety wires it down it'll pass the "Tech" station at Nelson Ledges Race Course. And you don't have to have any race ability to come out and do a couple of "Hot" laps, my brother doesn't and he's out there. I think we can all agree on this one though that thing is weird? See you guy's in May.

Dastardly Dave #65

Wheaton,

I think if he safety wires it down it'll pass the "Tech" station at Nelson Ledges Race Course. And you don't have to have any race ability to come out and do a couple of "Hot" laps, my brother doesn't and he's out there. I think we can all agree on this one though that thing is weird? See you guy's in May.

Dastardly Dave #65
Okay, I'm putting you on the list Dave.

Got one question though...you and Gray Ray are both #65. Do you ride the same bike? Share the same bib? :D

One brother rides the other brother's hand-me-downs and is too cheap to change the number plate.

Here's a question to let everyone ponder. How many track days can scrapedup get out of a set of tires?

I believe the answer is a new worlds record.

Gray Ray

Moto Series #65

Just to set the record straight for everybody out there in ciber-space who couldn't care less, my brother actually races, while I on the other hand just do track days for the complete enjoyment of the sport. Granted he did give me his old SV and bought a newer "GSXR 600" and a Kaw.250 and a new trailer, and new leathers,and tire warmers, the list is endless. I think he has some "Hoarder" issues personally. But Mom still liked me best.

He's also right about the number plate, I think I'll just grind it off today and put on my rightful No. 1 Plate.

Dastardly Dave # $%^#@$

I've got a question....have any of you been on these roads in the WV portion of the Day 1 ride?

They look squiggly enough on the map.

Photos from past Rambles/sorties into SE Ohio...

October of 2004 after a hurricane system came through...Yamaholic/mcarp and Black Bart gave me my first eye opening tour through SE Ohio. :dribble:

CamPic12.jpg

2005 spring Ramble mcarp, drc32-0, and Black Bart on Amish Country roads. First rode with George/escapeFJRtist that day.

PIC00009.jpg

2005 fall Ramble in Hocking Hills country...FJRocket in the picture as well as Valetz

Picwowhea.jpg

2006...Yamaholic moved the Ramble to WV during STN's National meet there. I have no photos of the Ramble itself...but have some of the participants here...Yamaholic, Heidi/luvtoride...

JUNE2006MCYTRIP237.jpg

2007 - Mike/Yamaholic retires from organizing the Rambles...but I'm not done riding SE Ohio. Griff with a couple of WV nutcases who decided to come over for a ride...

APRIL2007MCYTRIP013.jpg

2008 - Alot of people signed up to come that year, but predicted stormy weather forced me to change my plans to ride Sunday instead of Saturday...others couldn't wait and did a Ramble ride on their own. Duanne/Premier Accessories, griff and a few others rode with us on a nice sunny day.

2008SEOHIO004.jpg

2009 - a very cold fall day...with frost on the windshields...we headed out and had great fun.

2009FallSEOhio017.jpg

2010 - My son David came over on his XJ600 in August...no photos, but had a great time on the roads.

2010Rambleroutemap-380miles.jpg

2011 - a very well attended outing. Here we are at a "rest break."

se-ohio-3-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In that last picture that's everyone checking out my bike after my get-off.

Everyone will be happy to hear I'm all healed up ( two broken ribs - ouch! )

and bike has been restored to nearly new condition.

I'm ready to ride, albeit somewhat more conservatively, and looking

forward to the Ramble in May.

Love to go, especially to ride 536 again. During the day though. Last time I did it, it was full dark. Not so much fun 2 newbies in tow.

Oh BTW, Hella HID's are *useless* on a road that twisty with that many elevation changes. I think I may have blinded some aircraft though.

Love to go, especially to ride 536 again...
Steve, is that a...

1. Love to go...I'M IN!, or
  2. Love to go...but I can't, or
  3. Love to go...but I have no frickin idea if I can make it or not, or
  4. Love to go...but that's too far for my candy butt to ride for a weekend, or
  5. Love to go...but, "Hey, is that backbacon I smell???...uh...what were we talkin' about again?"

In that last picture that's everyone checking out my bike after my get-off.

Everyone will be happy to hear I'm all healed up ( two broken ribs - ouch! )

and bike has been restored to nearly new condition.

I'm ready to ride, albeit somewhat more conservatively, and looking

forward to the Ramble in May.
Excellent! Putting you down for this upcoming ride. Any of your STN buddies coming along?

Just take it easy your first time back and enjoy the ride. I know all about ghosts...they'll be there for awhile...until you all of a sudden have a riding nirvana run again. Just have a great time...these are two full days of great fun. :clapping:

Love to go, especially to ride 536 again...
Steve, is that a...

1. Love to go...I'M IN!, or
  2. Love to go...but I can't, or
  3. Love to go...but I have no frickin idea if I can make it or not, or
  4. Love to go...but that's too far for my candy butt to ride for a weekend, or
  5. Love to go...but, "Hey, is that backbacon I smell???...uh...what were we talkin' about again?"
All of the above. No, I'm in for the camp-out. Sorry man. But I may sneak through their on the way down.

Just be warned, I'm gonna show up for one of the rides this year on my little CBR250R. I figure if that Charlie Hoss guy can show up to NERDS on a ZX14, or the CFR Rallymaster can toodle around on a Versys, I can bring the mighty corner carver. Most likely Nerds though, I don't think my ass can take much more than that distance on it.

I can't commit yet, but I'll be watching with interest. Already have 3 trips planned so far, and a 4th may be hard to squeeze in. But I'm going to see what I can do. Looks like a good time.

Mark,

I will dig into my mapsucks library - I cut through there a couple times headed to Lewisburg. I'll see what I had. Squiggly lines in WV could mean pavement, chipseal, gravel, dirt, or goat trail. Street view in Google maps is one way to check, but you can't always believe what you see.

Oh, and you picked the perfect weekend. I will be needing to scrub in a set of tires for my trip to NC the next week, so let me see if I can earn a kitchen pass for that Saturday / Sunday. It might be nice to not have to run the whole day with you guys and then slog 350 miles home the same day...

Wayne

I've got a question....have any of you been on these roads in the WV portion of the Day 1 ride?

They look squiggly enough on the map.

In 2010, I ran 18 out of Sistersville (we crossed on the ferry) to West Union, then 58 / 9 to Weston. Road surface was good, and quality of riding was excellent as well.

IIRC SLK50 is Robert.

SLK50 - "sorry, I've forgotten your name...remind me again please" Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and you picked the perfect weekend. I will be needing to scrub in a set of tires for my trip to NC the next week, so let me see if I can earn a kitchen pass for that Saturday / Sunday. It might be nice to not have to run the whole day with you guys and then slog 350 miles home the same day...
Thanks for the tips Wayne. I sure hope you can make...it would be fun following the trail of rubber shards behind your bike over hill after hill. :)

BTW, these are preliminary routes...I still really have to sort them out and see whether a ferry crossing is practical, or even possible on the day we plan it with schedules etc. If not, I will find another trail of crumbs to get us back to Caldwell and refreshments after a great day's ride. :yahoo: