2012 SE Ohio Ramble - May 11-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the schedule for the ferry:

HoursMon - Fri:6:00 am-6:00 pmSat - Sun:9:00 am-6:00 pm

Sistersville Ferry

When we crossed, they took us across as soon as we were on. Small town style - I think they run when there's traffic, not on a set schedule was the impression I got.

Thanks for the tips Wayne. I sure hope you can make...it would be fun following the trail of rubber shards behind your bike over hill after hill.
I'm sure I don't have any idea what you're talking about. You led most of that day, didn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I don't have any idea what you're talking about. You led most of that day, didn't you?
Yep Wayne...it was me leading you. ;)

See everybody... I was leading Wayne around. :lol: :lol: :lol: Look at his avitar...then look at mine. You be the judge. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

I'm not sure why my "OLDER BROTHER" had such a good time last year with you guy's but he's bugging me to really try to make it this year. When you get the definite route's picked if your sending out maps please PM me a set.

Thanks in Advanced

Dave

Mark,

I'm not sure why my "OLDER BROTHER" had such a good time last year with you guy's but he's bugging me to really try to make it this year. When you get the definite route's picked if your sending out maps please PM me a set.

Thanks in Advanced

Dave
Do you guys have MS S&T? or a gps? If so, I can send the S&T file?

If not, then bring a map of WV and OH and I can go highlight your map for you.

Mark,

I've ridden a lot of closed courses and have yet to see one with a guard rail. Wayne is fast yet humble.

My hero.. I can hardly wait for May

Gray Ray

Moto Series #65

My wife is actually considering wanting to do this on her FZ6R. Is there anyone attending that plans to ride at less than Wayne-speed? This would be her first experience with twisty roads, and my second, so we would be taking it easy. Not Harley parade slow, though. She does like to go through corners fast, but she'll need to slow it down a bit to get used to back-to-back curves (we only get our curves one at a time in Michigan, and very rarely).

Mark,

Thanks in Advanced

Dave
He had a good time because he rode with MY group not his! We all kept the road under us and went REALLY fast!

Look at his avitar...then look at mine. You be the judge.
"closed course, professional rider" - that image is just some random shot I found on the neenernets...
Shit! When did they close 33?

My wife is actually considering wanting to do this on her FZ6R. Is there anyone attending that plans to ride at less than Wayne-speed? This would be her first experience with twisty roads, and my second, so we would be taking it easy. Not Harley parade slow, though. She does like to go through corners fast, but she'll need to slow it down a bit to get used to back-to-back curves (we only get our curves one at a time in Michigan, and very rarely).
It's not the back to back curves that are the problem. It's all the blind ones at the tops of rises! A friggin boat load of then in SE Ohio. what a rush!

Yeah; I learned really quick to slow down every time I'm about to crest a hill. OH-555 was my introduction to curvy/hilly roads.

If I crest a hill, then can see that the next 2 hills are in a straight line, then I like to roll on the throttle and let the front wheel float up off the road over the next hill :) . It really surprised me the first time my front wheel floated up in 3rd gear over a hill (not even full throttle).

Yeah; I learned really quick to slow down every time I'm about to crest a hill. OH-555 was my introduction to curvy/hilly roads.

If I crest a hill, then can see that the next 2 hills are in a straight line, then I like to roll on the throttle and let the front wheel float up off the road over the next hill :) . It really surprised me the first time my front wheel floated up in 3rd gear over a hill (not even full throttle).
Those roads were a blast. The real trip is that there are no references like trees or power poles or anything at a lot of them. 555 was just one of many that put the adrenal glands in overdrive!

Hey UP,

I had my boy with me a couple years ago. I ended up riding herd with him so he could ride his own pace on that ride. Someone else also happened to bring a newby to the ride, so the four of us ended up riding together.

I'm not sure if any other "more relaxed" pace riders will be attending, but if so please post up.

I remember some relaxed pace riders from last year...but so far I don't see them signing up yet. I'm not sure how fast SLK50 is going to be riding this year...but I doubt if he even knows. I know that after I crashed in AR in 2008, the following year I took it pretty slowly until I got my groove back.

The routes shown are long in mileage, but people have the freedom to cut it off as short as you want and head back to the barn depending on your tiredness, boredom from all the curves, or jes plain "thirsty" for a refreshing beverage. :)

Come on down, bring the wife...you'll have a blast. In my opinion, there a better roads on Marks route than 555

Come on down, bring the wife...you'll have a blast. In my opinion, there a better roads on Marks route than 555
I think everybody has their own favorites...and for different reasons. Me, I like 78...I also like 26, 260 and 556. For me, 555 puts me on edge...I feel like I've fought a battle by the time I've gotten though 555. There's no flow...just as you get comfy...it GETS ya. ;)

It's all fun...and it's the reason I make the yearly sojourn to SE Ohio. I wish I could come back more often. Maybe I'll come back for an unannounced ride in the heat of summer to get more licks in.

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell SE Ohio...

UP...definitely bring your wife. She is gonna have a blast...just bring her up to speed and be careful at the top of the crest...there is likely a turn there. :D

Ok Pickles - find someone to watch the kids and pack your trash, we're going. I might even be able to talk Annette into coming along. Maybe that will make Mark happy is I'm two up.

There are lots of bail out options on these loops to cut mileage and time if need be. And as demonstrated last year (SLK50), we will not leave anyone behind.

I think everybody has their own favorites...and for different reasons. Me, I like 78...I also like 26, 260 and 556. For me, 555 puts me on edge...I feel like I've fought a battle by the time I've gotten though 555. There's no flow...just as you get comfy...it GETS ya.
I have some wierd twisted affection for 555. It is definitely one of my top 5 favorite roads at this point. Roads like the Cherohala or NC28 let you get into a rhythm. 555 will bite you, and bite hard the instant you think you've got it figured out. I think it's the true randomness the I like.

Now, Angels or Z8's, that is the question...

oh555northbound.jpg

oh555southbound.jpg