Bikey no idle....STILL

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairlaner

The Bartender Whisperer
Reaction score
So heres the deal..Hal and Skooter were at my house January 19 for a valve check party.....when we did the check on mine they were all good excerpt the very last one. The cam got pulled ( was tied to the cam gear so it wouldn't move) and correct shim was installed.

When we got the bike back together and fired it up it idled fine with the fast idle circuit working but as soon as the fast idle circuit stopped so did the bike.......as you can imagine I got very pissed off with the bike and took it to my local dealer for them to figure out....I told them all that had been done and left it with them.

After a few days they call me and say that they had run all the checks and everything was normal, they had spoken to Yamaha and had come to the conclusion that the fast idle was the problem and it needed a new throttle body, the new one was on the way from Japan.

I mentioned to them several times that maybe the cam gear was "off " from our valve check, no way was the answer, you would not have been able to ride it down here if that was the case...

Moving ahead to Thursday, I was on a trip up to Monterey with Roy they call me and say your bike is ready..

I got back this morning and have just been and picked it up, and what do you know, the first light i come to the fucking thing stalls again, just like it did when i took it there 3 weeks ago....

All i can say is thank god for Y.E.S. warranty....I now have a $1700 dollar throttle body that i didn't need and a bike that still doesn't run.

Thoughts????

R

Ha ha!!! You should never have let me touch your FJR!!!!! :lol:

Oh wait...... I didn't! :p

Have you tried adjusting your idle adjustment screw?

You know, the one that was pegged all the way in and no longer effective before we started work on your FJR?

Frustrating. Especially since the dealer said it was 'ready'. Have you talked to them?

And I thought the fast idle wasn't working properly either before (right after reassembly). It wasn't 'fast' idling as fast as it should have been????..............

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do a TBS with the #3 Cylinder about 1 Turn from the Bottom and then adjust the Others...

this could be out of Sync and limiting the RPM....

Hmmm. So you're saying when you first fire it up all is well. When it comes off the fast idle and starts to come down, it just dies.

I'm thinking about vacuum lines not secured or a vacuum cap not put back on or....

Strange that it won't idle after. I'd think the cam to crank timing would be ok if it ran fine going to the dealer (except idle). Does it still have good power when you're on the throttle?

Is there any electrical connection not connected (forgot)?

well you would think as it is a new throttle body that the tach would have to have done a sync......

Yes Ray there is a CC installed..

R

well you would think as it is a new throttle body that the tach would have to have done a sync......

Yes Ray there is a CC installed..

R
If you can keep it running above idle then go around with a can of spray carb cleaner. If there is a leak you will find it quickly. spray around any and all hoses and where the throttle bodies plug into the head. Also check your vacum hook up on the CC.

ok Ray this is a new throttle body that was just installed and it is behaving exactly as it did when i dropped it off 3 weeks ago.

R

I learnt the hard way, bugger.

Rode my bike from Toowoomba to Sydney (1,000kms) to get the valves checked by a very trusted mechanic.

Picked up the bike the next day and rode back to a mates place, through peak hour traffic, not a problem although it was idleing high. .

The next morning, when the bike was cold, headed back to Queensland, through morning Sydney peak hour traffic and all shyte happened.

The bike started stalling at traffic lights, idle was “off”, tried to adjust the idle continuously, came good, went bad.

I rang the mechanic after about 500kms and asked him what he knew, he was no help.

When I finally got home, the bike was a bit better, but I had all sorts of trouble trying to adjust idle speed between cold/hot.

I found RadioHowie's post that finally explained what was happening.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=122016&st=0&p=643206entry643206

Two very small water heater hoses that supply the "wax fuse" needed burping.

The bike finally came good, the level of the water decreased a few inches under the cap that suggested air was burped from the system.

Gen1 bikes have a bleed screw at the thermostat, with Gen2 bikes you have to keep getting it up to temperature and burp the air bubbles.

Hope it's this simple.

Cheers

So i decided to pull the plastic, side cover and valve cover so i could eliminate the timing........

This is what i found...I think it is out....Am i right?

Cam dots are lined up..

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

Crank marks are not.....

file-3.jpg

file-5.jpg

R

If cyl 1 is at TDC on the compression stroke you are out of time, err, your engine is out of mechanical timing. Prolly just one tooth since nothing seems to have been bent.

Thanks to Ray for tell me the easy way to jump the crank tooth that i was off it now runs like it used too......

Frank thanks to you too :fuck: see you at EOM :drinks: :drinks:

R

Okay, I'm amazed at two things. One, that the tech screwed it up in the first place. I don't know whether it's hard to get it wrong, but he's getting paid to do it right. Second, that the problem was resolved here on the the forum, which I think is pretty cool. You guys are great.

Latest posts