4-States & 850+ mountain miles trip plan.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
Me and the wife are doing a 4-day trip in 4 States all in the mountains in June. Gonna ride in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina & Virginia. Basically riding up one side of the Smokey's and back down the other side. It is a 850+ mile all mountain twistie route...plus the mileage to/from this route. I've ridden most of these roads before, some of them many times, but I do have some new roads I've never been on before and I've never done them all back to back to back in one trip so we're both pretty excited.

The Route

The multi-day route includes:

1. The Cherohala Skyway

2. The Snake - Hwy 421...will be my first time on "The Snake".

3. The Devil's Whip - Hwy 80

4. The Diamondback Hwy 226A

5. Moonshiner Hwy 28

6. The Blue Ridge Parkway

The Route also includes some of my favorite lesser known backroads (shhhh!) like:

7. Hwy 315/30 in Tennessee south of Telico Plains, TN

8. Hwy 209 in NC south of Hot Springs, NC

9. Hwy 261/143 over Roan Mountain on the TN/NC border

10. Hwy 221 south of Blowing Rock, NC

11. Hwy 52 west of Ellijay, GA

To name just of few. :yahoo:

We're going to ride hard some days and a few of the days we'll not ride quite as much and it will give us time to hike, to do some nature photography and find some nice quaint places to visit & eat at.

Yes I'm stoked!!!! I plan to share some pics & video of our trip in the Ride report section upon our return. :) ....anything less than EPIC will not be accepted! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...that looks like great fun. Looking forward to your ride report. Hopefully one day, my wife and I can tag along.

<off topic>This coming July my wife and I will take our first extended (more than a weekend) motorcycle trip. I am specifically keeping the daily mileage less than 250...so as to keep it relatively sane for her. Since I live in the flatlands of northern Illinois, the first and last days will be a little longer.

I plan on visiting the the curves of southern Indiana, winding through Kentucky to the east, heading into Virginia, coming up through West Virginia, and heading west to SE Ohio, with the final day passing through Amish country before blasting back on the country 2-laners in straight road country.

The Base of operations will switch each day unfortunately because of the 250 mile/day general limitation....basing in Nashville, IN, Corydon, IN, Cumberland Falls SP, KY, Breaks Interstate, VA, Tazewell, VA, Seneca Rocks, WV, Caldwell, OH, Hocking Hills SP, OH...to home. <off topic>

Thanks for sharing your upcoming adventure. I'm stoked just hearing about it and seeing the map. It sounds fantastic! :yahoo:

Yes I'm stoked!!!! I plan to share some pics & video of our trip in the Ride report section upon our return. :) ....anything less than EPIC will not be accepted! :)
This sounds like one heck of a great trip! Stay safe and have fun...and nice to see you set the bar at a reasonable level, too... :lol:

Good road choices. I've been on most of those roads and love them...Have a great ride! If doing any camping make sure you checkout Willville motorcycle campground.

Bill

Sounds like a blast roller. And you too Wheaton. I think that you guys will come to appreciate that that it is well worth making the minor concessions in speed and distances, to have our hunney's along to share the good times. Works for me... :thumbsup:

Sounds like a blast roller. And you too Wheaton. I think that you guys will come to appreciate that that it is well worth making the minor concessions in speed and distances, to have our hunney's along to share the good times. Works for me... :thumbsup:
+1 Fred, Im taking the misses from one end of the BRP to the other. Quality time with the wife is a must!

Wow, tasty route - making me think about my July getaway - your start point is only 640 miles away, an easy day on the FJ!

I always have the problem of planning too long of day rides because I keep looking at the map and seeing more twistie roads!!! But I've finally learned over time you can't ride them all in one day or on one trip and its good to leave some unridden so you can have an excuse to ride them in the future.

But anytime you can ride roads for 850 miles continuously in the mountains is a good thing!

I always have the problem of planning too long of day rides because I keep looking at the map and seeing more twistie roads!!! But I've finally learned over time you can't ride them all in one day or on one trip and its good to leave some unridden so you can have an excuse to ride them in the future.

But anytime you can ride roads for 850 miles continuously in the mountains is a good thing!
:good:

What happened to the highlited map of your trip. Seamed like a great trip. Thanks Rick :rolleyes:

Yeah...the link to the highlighted route seems broken.
Sorry about that. It's about 800 mountain miles. We want to take our time and get off the bike and enjoy things along the way. No more 565 mile day rides on this trip! LOL...200-250 miles a day is about right!

Here it is Route Link...Lots and Lots and Lots of squiggly lines on this route! :yahoo:

Roller,

Your northernmost point. Should you find yourself ahead of schedule a bit, run Route 16 between Marion and Tazwell VA. Trust me on this. Your just a stones throw from it!

Ya know I am saving that route for use by myself later! :p :eek:
Too much information!!! :blink: ............. :D

Roller,

Your northernmost point. Should you find yourself ahead of schedule a bit, run Route 16 between Marion and Tazwell VA. Trust me on this. Your just a stones throw from it!
Will do!...Too many roads...not enough time...Dammitt!!!...might just have to ride faster :eek: