Fork overhaul

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my suspension. I have read a lot about the different springs/valves and such that you can do yourself. I read FJRed's excellent seal replacement thread. I like to do as much as I can my self, but am wary about changing thingsfrom stock myself and getting it right. I want to remove the forks and send them to someone to do the whole job. Any suggestions?

I am looking to upgrade my suspension. I have read a lot about the different springs/valves and such that you can do yourself. I read FJRed's excellent seal replacement thread. I like to do as much as I can my self, but am wary about changing thingsfrom stock myself and getting it right. I want to remove the forks and send them to someone to do the whole job. Any suggestions?
Forks:

Give these guys a call - I've been quite happy with their work (now getting the suspenders adjusted .. that's another issue and my own shortcoming).

https://www.gpsuspension.com/

The other option are the AK-20's, which I've heard good things about, but they cost more:

https://www.traxxion.com/ak-20axxioncartridgekit.aspx

Shock:

Both Traxxion and GP Suspension will sell you a rear shock. They'll pick from Ohlins (my favorite), Penske (good experience on my VFR) and Race Tech has one too.

---

In the end, ANY suspension upgrade will do wonders for you, the main difference will be price. But to get the most out of it, you need to know how to adjust it, and that's a whole nuther story.

Forks:

Give these guys a call - I've been quite happy with their work (now getting the suspenders adjusted .. that's another issue and my own shortcoming).

The other option are the AK-20's, which I've heard good things about, but they cost more:

Shock:

Both Traxxion and GP Suspension will sell you a rear shock. They'll pick from Ohlins (my favorite), Penske (good experience on my VFR) and Race Tech has one too.

---

In the end, ANY suspension upgrade will do wonders for you, the main difference will be price. But to get the most out of it, you need to know how to adjust it, and that's a whole nuther story.
I really like my RaceTech set up. I did everything myself. It wasn't too difficult.

Forks:

Shock:

---

Thanks for the reply.

I have feelers out to both Traxxion and RaceTech. GP is just so far away from me. I will be doing the rear as well. That is more straight forward as I will do that myself. As far as the the price goes it is not a major factor as I have comitted to doing this, so I am looking at waht is best for me. If two are equal then price may be considered. I have read so many post about it with people balking at the cost, biting the bullet and doing it and then saying it was the best money they spent on the bike. Serve up the koolaid. I am in!

GP is just so far away from me.
I live only 200 miles from them and STILL did it by mail. Don't let distance be factor on this one. Their Soqui upgrades are the dog's danglies! I've got about 150,000 miles on them so far and two services.

GP is just so far away from me.
I live only 200 miles from them and STILL did it by mail. Don't let distance be factor on this one. Their Soqui upgrades are the dog's danglies! I've got about 150,000 miles on them so far and two services.
Matt,

Do you mail them in for service too? Definitely read a lot of good things from folks who went with GP. Just higher shipping cost for me, but as the previous post said cost isn't the primary consideration.

Do you mail them in for service too?
I've done both. Because I am only 200 miles away I've diverted by Portland to drop them off one day and diverted again to pick them up the next day for $50 fuel vs. ~$100 shipping, but again...don't let proximity hose you on these guys. Just factor shipping into the price of a STELLAR change to performance. Soqui upgrades and a Penske or similar shock are great!

Do you mail them in for service too?
I've done both. Because I am only 200 miles away I've diverted by Portland to drop them off one day and diverted again to pick them up the next day for $50 fuel vs. ~$100 shipping, but again...don't let proximity hose you on these guys. Just factor shipping into the price of a STELLAR change to performance. Soqui upgrades and a Penske or similar shock are great!
Yep, what he said. Mailed mine in too. Got the forks and new Penske back in a couple of weeks. Went from piggish wallowing to pinpoint dancing, two up, fully loaded. The guys at GP are outstanding to work with too.

If yu go gp suspension, ask if they will honor the old fjrforum group discount - they did for me.

Wanna know how good these guys are? They machine their own valves instead of using shim stacks. Also, when it was time to upgrade the (non-adjustable) sv650 forks and shock, they suggested I find find USD 2005 gsxr 750 forks... I found some on ebay for $75, sent them in with the sv forks. They gutted the sv forks, revalved and resprung the gsxr internals and put that into the sv forks. Then they machined the sv fork tubes to accept the gsxr caps with preload and rebound adjusters. $600 for the fork work and it handles just outstanding.

That's just my testimonial... I am sure that there are equally qualified shops across the country, but this is the one I have sent three suspensions to and have experience with.

I am leaning towards GP right now and they have already responded saying that they will still honor the group buy rate. What is the shipping weight of the forks?

When you talk to RaceTech (and call them), ask for a discount. I got 10% off everything. If you call the others, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Shipping in the gun case is brilliant. I would imagine you'd want to wrap the parts in plastic to keep any residual oils away from the foam.

When I had my suspension done by GP, didn't even have to ask for the discount. Just mentioned the fine reports on the forum and they readilly offered. First class operation.

Bob

I went with GP 2 years ago, and liked the improved handling over stock. Although, last season I seemed to be dragging and scrapping a lot. The reason is I was pushing the bike harder and harder, and getting to be a much better rider in the corners with the improved suspension, but it wasn't stiff enough to handle the corner speeds I NOW can go. And yes I'm hanging off the bike. bottom line is it wasn't working for me. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about GP,they do great work and the bike was great handling and plush. The problem is I've change. I'm riding much harder and faster than I did 2 years ago, so I had to go with stiffer front and rear springs.

This time I went with Traxxion. I just got my forks and Ohlins back from Traxxion, but haven't tried yet. The reason I went with them is because they said right away they thought I needed more spring, which I believe I do. Also they say the factory cartridges are only good for about 100,000 miles, and there AK-20's are good for much more. I already have 60,000 miles and should see 100,000 in 2-3 years. I plan on keeping the bike so for me it's worth it. I could have had GP put stiffer springs in, but I don't think they have the cartidges.

If I was still riding the way I was 2 years ago the first set-up would be fine, but now I almost never ride 2 up and almost always push it hard in the corners. Now I'm willing to give up the plush ride for better handling when pushing hard.

The front spring are now 1.1, and the rear is now 900lbs. They were .95, and 850.

Opinions are like aholes....... you know the rest, so take this with a grain of salt. It's just my opinions. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator: