Spring 2012 Tech Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in! Would like to do the valve check. I'll probably come down on Friday evening as usual so the bike will be good to go as soon as we start up in the morning.

I'm in! Would like to do the valve check. I'll probably come down on Friday evening as usual so the bike will be good to go as soon as we start up in the morning.
Got you down for it. Check with Panman if you are in doubt what parts to have on hand for the valve check. I do recommend changing the tensioner since we are in there purely as a maintenance thing.

If you are just doing the valve check you don't need much, the valve cover gasket is a nice pliable rubber gasket and can be re-used I would just get the side cover O-RING (93210-32172-00) and the (2) water pipe O-RING's (93210-18417-00) and some plugs. I have a valve cover gasket in case something goes wrong.

If your going to do the CCT forget the side cover o-ring and get the Side Cover GASKET, (OIL PUMP COVER 5JW-15456-11-00), and one TENSIONER ASSY, CAM

5JW-12210-10-00 (replaces 5JW-12210-01-00) plus the one GASKET TENSIONER CA 5JW-12213-00-00.

For either job get three Qt's of the 50-50 antifreeze mix.

Any thing else anyone?

If you are just doing the valve check you don't need much, the valve cover gasket is a nice pliable rubber gasket and can be re-used I would just get the side cover O-RING (93210-32172-00) and the (2) water pipe O-RING's (93210-18417-00) and some plugs. I have a valve cover gasket in case something goes wrong.

If your going to do the CCT forget the side cover o-ring and get the Side Cover GASKET, (OIL PUMP COVER 5JW-15456-11-00), and one TENSIONER ASSY, CAM

5JW-12210-10-00 (replaces 5JW-12210-01-00) plus the one GASKET TENSIONER CA 5JW-12213-00-00.

For either job get three Qt's of the 50-50 antifreeze mix.

Any thing else anyone?
Thanks, Kevin. I might as well do the tensioner too.

I would love to changes both my tires and also install 90 degree stems. Would it be better to take the wheels off and just bring them?
Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't taking the wheels off make it hard to ride the bike over...? #justsayin'... :D

Count me in. Not sure what I need to do as this year I am returning to the original 05 as my A bike. Maybe a new rear shock install.

Got you down for it. Check with Panman if you are in doubt what parts to have on hand for the valve check. I do recommend changing the tensioner since we are in there purely as a maintenance thing.
Right now we can check but we can't change, as we don't have a shim kit [yet] to perform adjustments. So far we've been lucky... Also, run at least two tanks of Seafoam treated fuel through the engine for top end cleaning. An alternative would be the HaulinAshe Seafoam treatment, but we haven't done that yet either. :lol: I'll bring the extinguisher!

Panman summed it up regarding parts. The valve check / tensioner change is pretty quick beginning with a cold bike.

--G

I will be there. 2 bikes, 4 people, and possibly 1 more person on another bike. If I don't already have it done, I will be doing a CCT, TBS, and I am thinking that my tires might not be balanced very well. When I start getting towards 100 mph -+ it starts feeling a little bumpy.

I need to do a brake bleed so count me in! Hopefully I'll be in town... My travel schedule for work only gets set a couple weeks out...

I need to install Race Tech fork springs; no valves just springs. I've never done it myself; Is that too much of a job for this tech day? If it is, it would still be fun to meet you all in person; so I'll be there at the minimum to say hi. Don't have much expertise but have basic mechanical aptitude and can follow orders well so I make a pretty good assistant.

I need to install Race Tech fork springs; no valves just springs. I've never done it myself; Is that too much of a job for this tech day? If it is, it would still be fun to meet you all in person; so I'll be there at the minimum to say hi. Don't have much expertise but have basic mechanical aptitude and can follow orders well so I make a pretty good assistant.

Bring them. There should be several that can help you.

Don't forget to get 10wt fork oil and several cans of brake clean to flush out your forks

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to get 10wt fork oil and several cans of brake clean to flush out your forks
Did you also get the spring guide kit for the springs? Due to the design of the RT springs, they require a thin washer to act as a perch, on top of the dampening assembly.

--G

Why would you use 10wt fork oil if the FJR's damping system (which is not being replaced) is designed to work with 5wt oil? I just went to the Race Tech website and they even recommend 5wt oil for their Gold Valve kit. Many of us use Honda SS-7 fork oil for the OEM forks, its a high quality 5wt oil that you buy for $6.00 a pint (takes 3 pints for an FJR fork oil change).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know a route from Calgary that won't be covered in snow at that time? :(
If you head south down through Cranbrook, that's the best looking route into Bonners Ferry to Spokane. You'd probably know that part of the route better than us. From Spokane to Auburn should be relatively simple. Those of us from Eastern Wa will be going over, kinda cold in the early a.m. but ok in the midday times.