Spring 2012 Tech Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to install Race Tech fork springs; no valves just springs. I've never done it myself; Is that too much of a job for this tech day? If it is, it would still be fun to meet you all in person; so I'll be there at the minimum to say hi. Don't have much expertise but have basic mechanical aptitude and can follow orders well so I make a pretty good assistant.
Bring them. There should be several that can help you.
Don't forget to get 10wt fork oil and several cans of brake clean to flush out your forks
Did you also get the spring guide kit for the springs? Due to the design of the RT springs, they require a thin washer to act as a perch, on top of the dampening assembly.

--G
I'm having Sasquatch rebuild and respring my shock this week and when he sends it back, he'll also be sending rate-matched fork springs and the RT spring guide kit so I should be good to go.

Don't forget to get 10wt fork oil and several cans of brake clean to flush out your forks
Why would you use 10wt fork oil if the FJR's damping system (which is not being replaced) is designed to work with 5wt oil? I just went to the Race Tech website and they even recommend 5wt oil for their Gold Valve kit. Many of us use Honda SS-7 fork oil for the OEM forks, its a high quality 5wt oil that you buy for $6.00 a pint (takes 3 pints for an FJR fork oil change).
Noted!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you use 10wt fork oil if the FJR's damping system (which is not being replaced) is designed to work with 5wt oil? I just went to the Race Tech website and they even recommend 5wt oil for their Gold Valve kit. Many of us use Honda SS-7 fork oil for the OEM forks, its a high quality 5wt oil that you buy for $6.00 a pint (takes 3 pints for an FJR fork oil change).
The same reason as why we change the springs and upgrade the rear shock, just because Yamaha designed it for the bike does not mean it cant be improved. I have heard of guys going to 15wt fork oil.

The same reason as why we change the springs and upgrade the rear shock, just because Yamaha designed it for the bike does not mean it cant be improved. I have heard of guys going to 15wt fork oil.
Good damping is all about oil flow and there is a reason that so many of us have had our forks rebuilt by GP Suspension. The FJR comes with primitive high speed damping that uses a couple of one way spring loaded valves that do not allow sufficient oil flow in the high speed (non-adjustable) circuits. GP Suspension replaces those valves with their custom built valves utilizing stacked shims that flow much more oil when needed. When you put heavier weight oil in the forks you reduce the oil flow in a system that it not flowing enough oil to begin with...which is not an improvement.

We can discuss further on Tech Day.......and I am looking forward to eating your pork if you are going to treat the group again this year.

I am going to be selling a Starcom Advanced this spring and so I am going to give attendee's of Bryan's tech day first shot at it. I have a few cables that go with it including the PTT bit. I will ensure it is a very good deal if someone wants it and you would still need to order a couple of replacement cables.

Let me know...

David

My alumni weekend is the same time at this tech day so it depends on if I am riding there or not. If not, I'll definitely be at the tech day. At this point, all I think I'd need to do is a front tire change and throw a new CT on the rear. Perhaps I'll redo the headlight wiring while I am at it.

Will keep you updated.

Hi AuburnFJR,

I'd very much like to attend. Could you please email me directions to your place when time allows?

Unfortunately, I might have to cage it to this event and be satisfied with watching how some of the projects get done. I have an April 10th production date at Russell so the seat's going to be off the bike. Unless I can find some safe way to rig a temporary saddle, the bike's gonna stay in the garage until it's fully dressed again.

BigChunk

Hi AuburnFJR,

I'd very much like to attend. Could you please email me directions to your place when time allows?

Unfortunately, I might have to cage it to this event and be satisfied with watching how some of the projects get done. I have an April 10th production date at Russell so the seat's going to be off the bike. Unless I can find some safe way to rig a temporary saddle, the bike's gonna stay in the garage until it's fully dressed again.

BigChunk
I have a spare front seat you can borrow if you can source a rear from someone. Then you could ride it down. Caging it is just not couth. :new_russian:

Hi AuburnFJR,

BigChunk

You have a PM

1330233244[/url]' post='939061']
1330227922[/url]' post='939044']Anybody know a route from Calgary that won't be covered in snow at that time? :(
If you head south down through Cranbrook, that's the best looking route into Bonners Ferry to Spokane. You'd probably know that part of the route better than us. From Spokane to Auburn should be relatively simple. Those of us from Eastern Wa will be going over, kinda cold in the early a.m. but ok in the midday times.
Thanks Fred. It was somewhat a rhetorical question. Crowsnest Pass, what would be my preferred route, usually has piles of snow that time of year. I could take Kicking Horse Pass if we get an unseasonably warm (read as "less cold") spell at that time, but it makes the trip longer. I'll keep a watch on the weather when the time comes, who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. ;)

I am going to be selling a Starcom Advanced this spring and so I am going to give attendee's of Bryan's tech day first shot at it. I have a few cables that go with it including the PTT bit. I will ensure it is a very good deal if someone wants it and you would still need to order a couple of replacement cables.

Let me know...

David
I think it would be good to think about having another "For Sale" table so everyone start thinking of suff you want to get rid of and bring it to the tech meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now we can check but we can't change, as we don't have a shim kit [yet] to perform adjustments. So far we've been lucky...
I have a shim kit I'd be glad to loan for use. Regretably (or not), I will be in sunny Cabo San Lucas that weekend with my family. Ya'll are great guys and gals, but I ain't giving up a week in paradise to hang out with you for a day. ;) :lol:

I can drop the shim kit off at Bryan's house one day after work.

Right now we can check but we can't change, as we don't have a shim kit [yet] to perform adjustments. So far we've been lucky...
I have a shim kit I'd be glad to loan for use. Regretably (or not), I will be in sunny Cabo San Lucas that weekend with my family. Ya'll are great guys and gals, but I ain't giving up a week in paradise to hang out with you for a day. ;) :lol:

Harald, please do drop it off. You can put on the counter by the BBQ if we are not home.

Harald, please do drop it off. You can put on the counter by the BBQ if we are not home.
I'm due for another check myself and may get around to it before the tech meet. But whether I do or not, I'll drop the shims off before I head for Mexico. The kit will be either pristine or contain "used" shims if I'm unlucky and have to adjust.

Having a kit sure beats what I used to do in my college days. I'd check the clearances on my '78 GS750 and measure the installed shims to calculate what new shims I'd need. Then reassemble the bike and ride to the dealer to buy shims. Back at home, the bike would get pulled apart again to install new shims. But a 1978 GS750 is MUCH easier to open up than the FJR! I still have some of those quarter sized shims and the special bucket depressing tool somewhere in my garage.

Thanks for offering up the shim kit Harald. Hopefully we won't put it to use!

Will miss you at Tech Day...but I'd much rather join you at Cabo. ;) Where are you staying?

--G

Will miss you at Tech Day...but I'd much rather join you at Cabo. ;) Where are you staying?

--G
Been going to Cabo for about 15 years, but never on a bike. :( Time/vacation restraints require flying in and out. Retirement is not too far in the future though, and riding to Cabo is on the list. :yahoo:

We always stay at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach resort, which is just out of town on the Pacific side. Absolutely beautiful resort on the hillside with views of the whales migrating, lots of pools to relax, tropical birds and immaculate landscaping.

--G
Been going to Cabo for about 15 years, but never on a bike. :( Time/vacation restraints require flying in and out. Retirement is not too far in the future though, and riding to Cabo is on the list. :yahoo:

We always stay at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach resort, which is just out of town on the Pacific side. Absolutely beautiful resort on the hillside with views of the whales migrating, lots of pools to relax, tropical birds and immaculate landscaping.
Most excellent! Last time we were in Cabo, we toured Sunset Beach...wouldn't mind having access to a time share there some day. Only downfall seemed to be the lack of beach on the Pacific side and the undertow. ;)

We've stayed at the Rose' and had a great time. Looking forward to returning! :)

--G

I would love to changes both my tires and also install 90 degree stems. Would it be better to take the wheels off and just bring them?
Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't taking the wheels off make it hard to ride the bike over...? #justsayin'... :D
The question is whether it would be impossible, I am always up for a challenge.

(I know it gets busy some times, so I was thinking taking them off at home and drive over might make it easier on the host).

I would love to changes both my tires and also install 90 degree stems. Would it be better to take the wheels off and just bring them?
Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't taking the wheels off make it hard to ride the bike over...? #justsayin'... :D
The question is whether it would be impossible, I am always up for a challenge.

(I know it gets busy some times, so I was thinking taking them off at home and drive over might make it easier on the host).
Either works

Sept,2011 mcn tech guy suggested looking at an all metal Yamaha factory 90degree valve stem used on Viragos in the 1990s. Yamaha part number is 93900-00025-00, sells for 9-10$. Used them on an old connie, worked fine.

Sept,2011 mcn tech guy suggested looking at an all metal Yamaha factory 90degree valve stem used on Viragos in the 1990s. Yamaha part number is 93900-00025-00, sells for 9-10$. Used them on an old connie, worked fine.
Buy a set and we'll throw them on the FJR! ;)

--G