Camping at NAFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
All in the title. I plan on taking in at least a day or two of NAFO as part of a major trip this summer. Probably spending too much money along the way and I am planning to do as much camping as possible rather than staying in hotels etc. The trip is solo so I am not in a position of splitting accommodation costs.

I had a brief look at the camping links on the NAFO page. One appears to be RV only? Must be other places in the area.

Ross

I love to camp and I'll be camping along the road to and from NAFO, but once I'm at a FJR gathering I find it is more fun to stay at the venue with the rest of the reprobates nice folk. If you find a campsite within walking distance then you have the best of both.

I have camped several times at the Castlegar RV Park and it would be my choice. They have a quiet semi-private area for tents that is in the back of the park but a short walk to the very clean bathrooms. Its a short ride down the hill to the NAFO headquarters.

Just a heads up, Toad Campground is hosting some pirate fest that same weekend.

I have camped several times at the Castlegar RV Park and it would be my choice. They have a quiet semi-private area for tents that is in the back of the park but a short walk to the very clean bathrooms. Its a short ride down the hill to the NAFO headquarters.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into it fairly soon but schedule/plans have not gelled yet!

Just a heads up, Toad Campground is hosting some pirate fest that same weekend.
Thanks for the warning. If things are too booked up, I may find myself as grizzly bear fodder camping in the woods somewhere.

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the Kootenay river Campground, Not sure I'll actually book something, it's usually easy enough to find a spot for a single tent in one of the campgrounds. Let me know if you decide on one, Castlegar campground looks good too.

It seems that most 'campgrounds' these days cater to the Rolling Monstrosities that clog our highways.
mad.gif

But both the RV Parks mentioned apparently have tenting space available and are relatively close to Rally HQ. I have no personal experience with either so I cannot be of any more help.

That said, I might have heard that there may be a pop-up tent trailer available for rent in the Rally HQ Parking Lot during the event. It may be an option for someone! ;)

Hey wherever you end up Ross let me know, I definitely want to camp. Or if you decide to go soft I'll split a room with you. Could be more fun/convenient that way, but I'm up for either.

Andy

Hey wherever you end up Ross let me know, I definitely want to camp. Or if you decide to go soft I'll split a room with you. Could be more fun/convenient that way, but I'm up for either.

Andy

I had every intention of going to NAFO as part of a major tour this summer but my plans have fallen through. Not going to make NAFO this year (unfortunately).

Oh man, sorry to hear you aren't going to make it. Where are you going on your trip? I'm also on a big trip from Key West to Alaska, maybe we'll cross paths.

Oh man, sorry to hear you aren't going to make it. Where are you going on your trip? I'm also on a big trip from Key West to Alaska, maybe we'll cross paths.
The whole trip is off for this year. I will have to make do with some shorter excursions (less than a week at a time) closer to home. It was planned to head down the eastern seaboard, across the South, some of Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, California coast etc... (13,000 miles and 4-5 weeks). Decided to wait for another year when I might have a little more time (and money).

Ross