BMW and FIM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The buzz last year was that the electronics were screwed up because the software was written by the car guys. The buzz now is that it's been worked out (at least, that's what Larry Pegram, who is running the beemer in AMA, is saying. He's a smart guy but I don't think he writes his own code, so that's got to come from the factory). So... maybe.

In the first timed session this weekend for Phillip Island, Melandri is the fastest BMW and sits 9th. So... maybe not. ;)

Considering they have years to go to get the racing experience that the other factories have, they are doing pretty good. They have proven they can make power, they just haven't proven they can manage it and make it rideable yet.

The other thing in play is the Burgess Rule. When Rossi left Honda for Yamaha, Honda smugly assumed that they would keep winning without Rossi. Of course it didn't turn out this way. Honda has won twice, with Nicky in a fluke year in 2006, and with Casey in 2011.

Jeremy (Burgess) said when Rossi left Honda that it was 80% rider and 20% bike. I suppose the exact percentages are up for debate, but Rossi is sort of proving again (this time in the negative way) that Burgess was on to something. Casey won several races at the end of his Ducati contract. Rossi was usually not even on the podium.

Lots of excuses to go around.

Making this relevant to the current thread though, BMW can do all they want with the technology, but the technology by itself is not going to put them on the podium. They need to scout young up and coming riders, and they need to groom them through lower level activities, so that down the road, they will be able to match the technology with the rider who's time has come. When they do that, they will begin to win.

Going after "also rans" like Marco Melandri, or earlier Xaus et al, they're going to have a hard time moving up. In Marco's last few years in MotoGP, he could barely buy a spot to the finish line, let alone get on the podium. Use the old guys to help you figure out the directions for your earliest technological development, but if you want to get serious about winning, get some young guys who are better than their peers and do the necessary rider development.

The other thing in play is the Burgess Rule. When Rossi left Honda for Yamaha, Honda smugly assumed that they would keep winning without Rossi. Of course it didn't turn out this way. Honda has won twice, with Nicky in a fluke year in 2006, and with Casey in 2011.

Jeremy (Burgess) said when Rossi left Honda that it was 80% rider and 20% bike. I suppose the exact percentages are up for debate, but Rossi is sort of proving again (this time in the negative way) that Burgess was on to something. Casey won several races at the end of his Ducati contract. Rossi was usually not even on the podium.

Making this relevant to the current thread though, BMW can do all they want with the technology, but the technology by itself is not going to put them on the podium. They need to scout young up and coming riders, and they need to groom them through lower level activities, so that down the road, they will be able to match the technology with the rider who's time has come. When they do that, they will begin to win.

Going after "also rans" like Marco Melandri, or earlier Xaus et al, they're going to have a hard time moving up. In Marco's last few years in MotoGP, he could barely buy a spot to the finish line, let alone get on the podium. Use the old guys to help you figure out the directions for your earliest technological development, but if you want to get serious about winning, get some young guys who are better than their peers and do the necessary rider development.
And BMW's biggest mistake to date is letting go the team manager they hired away from Ducati (Tardozzi?) 2 years ago. He had them going in the right direction. Last year they floundered with teh car guys thinking they could make the bike better than I guy with a proven track record.

I agree they need a young lion. Thye could really benefit from a Colin Edwards type of rider too. Someone who can develop a bike. I think Troy Corser did a great job considering the handicap he was up against with the awy the team was managed from Germany.

And BMW's biggest mistake to date is letting go the team manager they hired away from Ducati (Tardozzi?) 2 years ago. He had them going in the right direction. Last year they floundered with teh car guys thinking they could make the bike better than I guy with a proven track record.

I agree they need a young lion. Thye could really benefit from a Colin Edwards type of rider too. Someone who can develop a bike. I think Troy Corser did a great job considering the handicap he was up against with the awy the team was managed from Germany.
I agree 100%.

Except for missing that braking point in turn 1 . . . . . Getting back to where he got was a spectacular ride, though. And it's been a long time since I've seen blue smoke off the rear like Rea's honda was doing the last couple of laps; his tire was toast early in race 2!

Checa's redefinition of high-side in race 1 was ugly!

In summary:

MOTORCYCLE RACING IS BACK!!!!!!!!

Yep, I agree with you and that young lion is Leon Haslam. He broke his leg in practice and still raced Sunday and was still competitive. Now he has a month to heal before the next race. He'll be on the podium soon.

I think I'm with you on losing Tardozzi being the biggest mistake and with all you guys on the young lion argument. Haslam might be that guy. He really impressed me over the last couple of years. That race 2 ride on the broken leg -- epic stuff.

Gotta say, though, that I'm not ready to write off Melandri. He was awfully good on the Yamaha last year and the podium in race 1 wasn't too shabby either. Besides, if Melandri was off the grid, we'd lose the camera shots of his wife. :wub:

Besides, if Melandri was off the grid, we'd lose the camera shots of his wife. :wub:
:dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
+1, Gunny; damn good call squeezer, she is a hottie!

21683.jpg

Nasty night with her would kill a couple of old farts like Bugnatr and Papa Chuy!

It would take a week for the Coroner to cold chisel the smiles off of our faces!!!

Last edited by a moderator: