Has anyone lowered their FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a few who have lowered their FJRs and none have reported serious issues with handling.

I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with dragging hard parts unless you are really aggressive while cornering.

Once you modify the seat ($$) and if that doesn't work it will cost you more ($$) to return it to OEM unless you buy a second seat to have modified. I know that Kasey rides an '03 and had the front of her seat modified (IIRC, lowered an inch or so).

Links would certainly be a cheaper method and easily changed back of you're not happy. I would think you might find a used set, perhaps on ebay.

If you do go with links, the problems mentioned above will apply: The kickstand will need to be modified (either bent "out" or shortened) and putting the bike on the center stand may require help.
In the interest of clarity, especially for someone new...

Links will not be a cheaper method. Here's why:

1) the links themselves will cost 50? a 100? whatever. Yes they could be resold, possibly.

2) lowering the kickstand (and centerstand) is going to cost quite a bit. And to go back to oem, if needed, not an inexpensive option.

3) if you lower in the back (links), many will recommend you lower the tubes in the front by the same amount, to keep the suspension geometry the same. this can be "undone" easily though.

4) NONE of these things are done by someone without some mechanical ability. NOTE: yer paying money for someone else to do that.

Seat Modification:

1) Spencer (for one) is an inexpensive option. His modifications will improve the seat. It's highly unlikely you would ever want to go back to OEM, I mean, the seat has been lowered and modified for long distance. If you want even further adjustments than yes, it would cost more. But generally, the seat is a big help, but some may need even further help.

2) so now, you keep the seat (of course, it's an improvement), and you use smaller lowering links. If necessary!

Start out with the seat. It's inexpensive and will be an improvement, no matters what. You can take the seat on and off, you don't have to pay someone else for anything but the modification of the seat.

Go from there...
Thank you for the thoughtful response~ I am leaning towards the seat mod.

I believe the quickest approach and the least expensive is to start with Koubalinks. Cost approx $75 from ebay or the forum and can easily be removed, lower the forks to match, no cost. Reversal of the above, no charge. If you like the results, the side stand will be your main issue and here's a link to resolving that problem which cost me time and effort and nothing more.

Sidestand

mine came "pre-lowered". and since i am 6'4", that wasn't gonna work. so i raised it back up.

but i noticed that with it lowered, i would bottom out over tall speed bumps. just a FYI... :blink:

I'm kinda shocked the hounds haven't pee'd all over this post yet.. :lol:

Not sure about the Kouba link or any other for that matter but I do know there are several here who have lowered their bikes.

IIRC The plastic can be removed..

You might try pinging MEM for more info as I know her's is lowered.

Oh yee of little faith in my brother and sister riders~ ;)

:haha: :rofl:

That's a good un :lol: There are some real characters here as you'll soon see. ;)

Lucky for you it's Saturday evening and most of them are already passed out drunk. :lol:
So whats youre excuse? Dolly drink it all? :eek:

Just out of curiosity, I happend to just now see the second part of your title where it says, "The need to be flat-footed." Are you exaggerating about being flat-footed, or is that your goal. I can't flat foot this bike with both feet at once. It's too tall and wide. It doesn't matter though, as the portion of my foot that does touch is substantial enough that it's not a problem. I don't like being flat-footed anyway as it's too relaxed of a position with limited ability to push off or move around if I need to.

So if you're on your toes, I can see the need to lower the bike because that just sucks. But...If the balls of your feet are solidly on the ground, and you can get comfortable, you may not need to lower the bike. You may just need to get used to it.

Just thoughts...do what you want for comfort, but if you don't have to do it, it would make your life easier.

Thank you for the thoughtful response~ I am leaning towards the seat mod.
Good Move, it's the best place to Start. If you are only talking about an inch, you can get that from just the seat. :)
Also consider a Corbin seat... not sure where in CA you're located but their factory is in Hollister. Order the seat, bring the bike in, and the will make as many modifications to the seat as needed so it's just right for your seat! ;) Might also see if there are any other owners nearby with different seat options that you could sit on and see how they feel before making the jump one way or the other.

I can't flat foot this bike with both feet at once. It's too tall and wide.
No shit??? Yer a short little dork, ain'tcha?

Howd'ya get through the academy? Papal dispensation? :lol: :rofl: :lol:
I'm 5'9 almost 5'10 you fucker, but still can't flat foot this thing. It prolly doesn't help that I have big legs either. When I'm in good shape, and I'm getting there again, I have to either buy loose fitting jeans, or jeans one size too big in the waist because they'll be too tight on my legs. I grew up riding horses and used to squat 600lbs.

So, no...I can't flat foot the FJR. But, I bet I could jimmy kick you into next Tuesday. :D

What the Hell is Papal dispensation? I don't know if I want to know. :dribble:

I can't flat foot this bike with both feet at once. It's too tall and wide.
No shit??? Yer a short little dork, ain'tcha?

Howd'ya get through the academy? Papal Penile dispensation? :lol: :rofl: :lol:
RadioHowie, here is the Answer: HotRodZilla can suck a golf ball through 75' of a 5/8" garden hose! Hope you don't mind RH, I also fixed your spelling! You are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'9 almost 5'10 you fucker...
What was it like meeting Dorothy? (that's you in the middle, ain't it!)

munchkins-640-300x225.jpg

What the Hell is Papal dispensation? I don't know if I want to know. :dribble:
It's what got you through the academy, 'coz it sure as shit wasn't your impressive stature! :p :p :p

Oh crap...I see beemerdons has hopped on this....I'll leave further investigation up to him. :D

Let's get this out of the way...

Yes I am a girl and yes the FJR is heavy for me on side hill stops-

Not to be one who is EVER easily deterred, I wanted to check in to see if any of you have used a Kouba Link on the FJR or any other lowering trick?

There was a shorter, industrious guy that went through the FJR lowering and documented his efforts quite nicely in a three part PDF file. I have been hosting his files for the past couple of years since he posted about them. Rather than try to go search for the original post, here are the links to those pdf files:

Bike Lowering Stage 1 - Lowering the seat

Bike Lowering Stage 2 - Lowering the suspension

Bike Lowering Stage 3 - Side and Center Stands

MEM has a lowered FJR (and quite difficult to put on the centerstand).
I have worked on Mary Ellen's bike before. It would be nearly, humanly impossible to put her bike up on the (unmodified) center stand without using your brain. All that needs to be done is to back the bike's rear wheel up onto a small piece of lumber and the bike goes up onto the center stand just like a regular FJR. ;)

My wife and I have a pair of 07's. Initially she was not able to straddle the bike and stand flat footed. We first replaced the seat with one from Corbin which helped a little. The next change was to put on the Kouba links, which got her to the place where she could stand flat footed. The next thing that I was considering was lowering the front forks a bit, but it was never needed.

She says that she has not noticed any difference in the handling (YMMV). The thing that she has noticed is that she needs to be somewhat careful going over speed bumps, as it is easier to bottom out. I have found that it is very difficult to get onto the center stand. The trick that I use when by myself, is to back up onto a piece of 2X6, then it goes onto the center stand easily. On the road it takes two of us to get it up on the stand.

I had to grind the kickstand stop a bit so that it leaned a little more, although it still sits too upright and some times parking on a sloped surface leaves the bike sitting like it will tip over.

I call her bike the low rider, it feels completely different than mine.

After I purchased my 09 FJR I decided to lower it... I installed Kubota lowering links, raised the fork tubes up by 3/8" and had the seat shaved. Since I was able to ride the FJR before it was lowered, I can say that I feel no real difference in performance - except now I can put my feet firmly on the ground. ;)

I call troll

As evidenced by the lack of respect of a a response to those of us who know ...
One can only assume he's either worn out from too much work (unlikely) or tore-up from the floor-up and hammered outta his head.

If not, can someone please explain what SheepDip said?

OK - I've read this whole thing, and I gotta say it's kinda entertaining at times. Like most of the posts on this forum.

So - Agirl, you want to have your feet on the ground - and both of them. Flatfooted - bestest way to be.

Here's what ya do - and I'm saying this from experience.

1. Remove the plastic height adjustment bracket. Your saddle may move a wee bit, but it's really not noticeable.

This gains you about 1/2".

2. Buy different boots. I bought a pair of SIDI Roads - thick soles, the thick soles added about another 1/2". (I learned this trick from a fellow forum member who just happens to be a 20+ yr LAPD motor instructor. He's stands about 5' 7", and rode an 06. His duty boots had about 2" thick soles.)

Result- I can flat foot when ever I need to. Great for reverse gear, parking lots, off-camber gutters, etc. Life is good.

This method doesn't modify the suspension geometry, and doesn't cost more than a pair of boots. Which everyone needs anyway, eh?

And I have absolutely no idea what SheepDip said.

Ahh shit... :( I was jumping back an forth between this an another forum ..

Pasted the response to there here :dribble:

Think i need a day off. :lol:

I call troll

As evidenced by the lack of respect of a a response to those of us who know ...
One can only assume he's either worn out from too much work (unlikely) or tore-up from the floor-up and hammered outta his head.

If not, can someone please explain what SheepDip said?
Oh for Petey's sake, RadioHowie and kaitsdad! After all of these years together with Barry on the FJR Forum, you two still cannot translate the Bustanut joker language? Here's what he said:

Jednym z sowizdrzałów polskich jest Jan Dzwonowski, którego broszury już to dla wielkiej rzadkości, już to dla treści ciekawej, zasługują na wydobycie z kurzów bibliotecznych.

Zgadzam się więc, z przypuszczeniem Brücknera, że pseudonimy wyżej wymienione t.j. Jan z Kijan, Jan z Wychylówki, Januarius Sowizralus itd. ukrywać mogą jednego autora, nie mogę się jednak zgodzić, żeby nazwa "Dzwonowski" stanowczo była pseudonimem. Przypuszczam, że był istotnie jakiś Dzwonowski, który z razu wydaje swe dziełka pod pseudonimem wzwyż wymienionym, a później je podpisuje własnym nazwiskiem. Do poparcia tego przypuszczenia, znalazłem dwa fakty: najpierw, że nazwisko to zamieścił Tomasz Święcki w swym zbiorze: "Historycznych pamiątek znamienitych rodzin i osób dawnej Polski" i po wtóre, że mamy wiadomość o jakimś Zacharyaszu Dzwonowskim, który był malarzem, żył w pierwszej połowie XVII w., i był krakowianinem, podobnie jak i nasz Dzwonowski.