Need Route Advise From Carmel to Paso Robles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
I live in Seattle and plan on a two week trip to California in May or June 2012. The trip is most likely in May for the lack of snowfall in the Sierras will open the passes sooner rather than later. This is the trip de California.

The plan is to ride California counter clockwise from the NW section along the Coast to Kings Canyon, then ride each of the Sierra Passes as I slowly head north. When I get up by Truckee the way home will be determined later. I will be camping staying in hotels. The price of a State Park in Cali is $35/night. For twice that I can get a room - heavens. I plan on spending time in Kings Canyon Park hiking for off bike day(s).

I usually use the books Destination Hwy and just follow the roads in those books without a schedule, just riding day by day. Unfortunately the Destination Hwy Southern Cal is not released yet. :angry2: So I have to find my own way in So. Cal.

I have been down Hwy 1 from the north end all the way to Santa Maria, twice even. I expect fog so I am looking for some thing different from Carmel to Paso Robles where I will head east to Lake Isabella. Is this a good alternative to Hwy 1?

Yup... that's the best 2 lane route south from Carmel. PCH is great as well, but your choices are almost free of traffic.

If for some reason the Jolon Road (to Lockwood Corner) is closed I recommend CVR to 101 south to 198 then south on Peach Canyon Road.

I will be camping staying in hotels. The price of a State Park in Cali is $35/night.
So you'll be camping . . . in hotels? Don't know how much luxury you need, but Nat'l Forest Service campgrounds are $12 a night and flat places on the ground in National Forests are free. You'll be sleeping outdoors anyway, right? Speak up when you're coming by, maybe some of us can meet up with you somewhere.

The typo that got away is I will be camping staying in hotels s/b I will be camping and staying in hotels.

Thanks to those who responded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Seattle and plan on a two week trip to California in May or June 2012....

I have been down Hwy 1 from the north end all the way to Santa Maria, twice even. I expect fog...
In June, what percentage of time can you expect fog on Hwy 1 between Cambria and Monterey? Taking a family trip in June and was hoping to drive that section... :(

Hwy 1 was closed last year due to a landslide...so I rerouted around it. Was hoping to do that this year.

That could work. Do you have dates? I plan on riding to AZ, southern Utah and CO in late may/June. If the timing works out I could join you for a few days of riding/camping. I was on the PCH Friday--spectacular and open all the way from Carmel to 46. From Paso, took Naciemento, Interlake to Lockwood and Jolan Road to King City--all open and in good shape. Arroyo Seco/Carmel VAlley road also open and also good.

That could work. Do you have dates?
Thank for your advice.

Nope I don't have vacation dates. When the Sierra passes are open and the forecast is favorable in California I will leave and put a post on the forum with a loose itinerary and perhaps some forum members will want to meet along the way or ride a day or two together. Meeting some forum folks along that way would be add a lot of interest to the trip. I am waiting until May to get longer days and ideal temps. Not too hot and not too cold but just right.....

That's a good route. :)

Wheatie, no fog, I guarantee it.
So Hwy 1 NO FOG? I'm confuseded.

The OP is EXPECTING fog on that route...so I am assuming that fog is a typical occurrence and I shouldn't expect it to be sunny along the ocean in June. Oh well, it is what it is...if I get fog in June, I guess I'll just reroute the rented minivan inland and miss the coast.

The OP is EXPECTING fog on that route...so I am assuming that fog is a typical occurrence and I shouldn't expect it to be sunny along the ocean in June. Oh well, it is what it is...if I get fog in June, I guess I'll just reroute the rented minivan inland and miss the coast.
Summer generally has more chance of fog but it's still beautiful... that's imho. And the fog can ebb and flow so there may be sections that have fog, others that don't... and Big Sur generally is always clear since it's a bit more inland. B)

Thanks. I'll just play it by ear when we're out there I guess. I remember those inland routes were great for mcy riding from people's comments last year. I may have to do those in the minivan. :rolleyes: Okay kids, take that dramamine... :)

Fontanaman & wheaton, the fog generally starts when the San Jouquin Valley heats up. Hard to tell with the weather this year but by mid June foggy days should begin along Hwy 1.

Carmel Valley Road G-16 to G-15 at King City conn. to G-14 into Paso Robles!

Or at King City go E on G-13 to Hwy 25 at 198 & 25 go South on Peach Tree - Indian Valley Rd :yahoo: into San Miguel River Rd into Paso!

NOW from Paso to Lake Isabella; that will cost you coffee :D

All roads are listed on AAA Regional Series

Last edited by a moderator: