ZRX1200R or TL1000R - which to keep?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how much you enjoy doing wheelies. Both are capable but the TL is probably the winner. In all honestly that's a horrible decision to make. The ZRX is more classic and better looking IMO, the TL very cool for its time too - though I hear they have longevity issues with their pistons.

I'd probably keep the TL though, just for a different character compared to i4 engines.

I for one won't follow the crowd here. The TLR will never be a collector item (It never really distiguished itself as a race bike). They are simply too much of a pig and ill handling for my taste. The only racer I ever saw make one go was Tray Batey and he cursed everytime he rode it! He finally gave up and went back to his watercooled GSXR1100.

The rear cylinder heats up the frame and really toasts ones leg in the summer time. The bike had a short production span for a reason!

The ZRX has a cool factor all unto its own. It resembles the mighty ELR (I use to own one), but has all the good modern features with the chassis and engine. I only wish they were FI, but I can live without it on that bike. There's no mistaking a ZRX for anything else but a ZRX. Just a great modern day standard that will age well like a fine wine.
I don't believe the TL weighs anymore than a similar RC51, in fact it's actually a few pounds lighter. That's just another myth that people like to propagate. Yes, it has some handling ills that can be addressed, and it gets warm just like our beloved FJRs do. I will agree that it won't be a collector bike, but it will be something worth keeping since they are a very popular cult style bike. I don't think a production run from 1997 to 2003 is that short.

Rick

I for one won't follow the crowd here. The TLR will never be a collector item (It never really distiguished itself as a race bike). They are simply too much of a pig and ill handling for my taste. The only racer I ever saw make one go was Tray Batey and he cursed everytime he rode it! He finally gave up and went back to his watercooled GSXR1100.

The rear cylinder heats up the frame and really toasts ones leg in the summer time. The bike had a short production span for a reason!

The ZRX has a cool factor all unto its own. It resembles the mighty ELR (I use to own one), but has all the good modern features with the chassis and engine. I only wish they were FI, but I can live without it on that bike. There's no mistaking a ZRX for anything else but a ZRX. Just a great modern day standard that will age well like a fine wine.
I don't believe the TL weighs anymore than a similar RC51, in fact it's actually a few pounds lighter. That's just another myth that people like to propagate. Yes, it has some handling ills that can be addressed, and it gets warm just like our beloved FJRs do. I will agree that it won't be a collector bike, but it will be something worth keeping since they are a very popular cult style bike. I don't think a production run from 1997 to 2003 is that short.

Rick
The RC51 is another one that won't ever get to collector status. The only reason why Honda was successful racing it was because of Nicky Hayden! The first couple of years of production were ravaged by FI issues due to the read once density altitude sensor.

Actually the TLR was only in production from '98-'03. The TL-S was an early release '97 and ended in '01 and has a lot more of a cult following than the R. It weighs a lot less and makes for a good nekkid bike. Just change the rotary damper rear shock out for a normal one and all is good.

Both the TL-R and the RC51 are complete pigs in the twisties (spent a lot of time on both as I worked in the dealerships back then), much more so than the CBR900/19/29 or the GSXR750. The heat issue is a real problem because the frame is a big heat sink. There are a lot of things attached to the frame.

It's all a personal thing and bikes that have a short production cycle generally fall into two catagories, too many issues or cost too much. Some rare occasions both are involved. I let you figure out which catagory the TL-R falls into.