Fuel Injector Service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
Isabella's engine out, head off, #4 cyl burnt valve being repaired, new used header ordered

all needed repair parts ordered

so, fuel system has gone 155k mi

quality of modern gasoline is poor

so...a service available to consider:

https://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/Injector_Cleaning.asp

$25 per injector

•The injectors are leak tested

•The injector coils are resistance checked

•The injectors spray pattern is checked

•The before photo of injectors spray pattern is taken

•The injectors are flow tested with results recorded in cc/min

•Filters, o-rings, & pintle caps are removed

•The injectors are ultrasonically cleaned while being operated at varying rpm and pulse width

•The injectors are re-assembled with new filters, o-rings, and pintle caps

•The injectors spray pattern is re-checked

•The after photo of injectors spray pattern is taken

•The injectors are flow tested with results recorded in cc/min

•Injectors are packed and returned to you via UPS.

If you get it done, I would be interested in whether they provide you with a report with before/after test results. $25.00 per injector is about a quarter of the cost of new injectors.

Do you think you have a specific fuel-related problem or is this just preventative?

I haven't heard of anything in the way of injector-related issues on the FJR.

Ross

I had this service done on my old 3.0 CSi BMW cage. The shop gave me before and after flows and it made a big difference both in terms of max flow plus evening out the difference between injectors. That would probably be the most noticable. I'd go for it

I think this is a good find, Mike. I think I have a leaky injector, running very rich in #4, fouling that plug and costing me gas mileage. I'm going to think about doing this, once I find a way to get around without the bike. . . .

I have been an auto mechanic for a lot of years. With the poor fuel quality and that many miles I would be very surprised if you don't see a big difference in smoothness and power. I have sent several sets of auto injectors for similar service and have been impressed with the improvement in each case. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing most injectors.

I have been an auto mechanic for a lot of years. With the poor fuel quality and that many miles I would be very surprised if you don't see a big difference in smoothness and power. I have sent several sets of auto injectors for similar service and have been impressed with the improvement in each case. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing most injectors.
I had a technical question, butt then your avatar distracted me yet again...........

Oh yeah... is it worth it, in your professional opinion, to run a bottle of injector cleaner periodically to help prevent issues like this?

cleaner periodically to help prevent issues like this?
Chemical_Cleaned.jpg

UltraSonic_Cleaned.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most if not all add to fuel products are IMHO mostly snake oil. Even the best on car injector flush systems only help sometimes. The best is preventitive maintainence by using good quality fuel. Poor quality fuels can really gunk up the intake system.

Most if not all add to fuel products are IMHO mostly snake oil. Even the best on car injector flush systems only help sometimes. The best is preventitive maintainence by using good quality fuel. Poor quality fuels can really gunk up the intake system.
Which leads to - where in haides do you get good fuel? Just about everything is at least 10 ethanol not to mention whatever else in the way of chemicals added in.

Which leads to - where in haides do you get good fuel? Just about everything is at least 10 ethanol not to mention whatever else in the way of chemicals added in.

Come to the UK, none of the 10 ethanol muck, good fuel but expensive. :yahoo:

Lots in your area:

Check It Out

There is a natural gum build-up over a long time that occurs with gasoline, and it usually is harmlessly coating the inside of your tank and other parts of the fuel system. It gets harmful in the fuel system if the bike sits in storage for a long period, in the old days, the gas evaporated out of carbs and they gummed up. Ethanol loosens gums but oddly it doesn't really dissolve them very well and thus we should occasionally use a solvent to dissolve them more effectively.

While I am not a big fan of dumping in additives excessively, products like Seafoam, Techron, etc. have a high percentage of naptha which acts as a good slow solvent (think GooGone type of thing). Some products have harsher solvents as well, Benzine, Toluene, etc., which may help to get rid of the really hard stuff to dissolve.. mostly those are marketed as injector cleaners.

So, with ethanol fuel, it doesn't hurt to add an ounce or two of Seafoam, but if one has the injectors out at 155k, I'd definitely take the opportunity to have them professionally cleaned. There is no magic mileage when you should do this.... pick a number.

injectors on the way to MPS Racing in Florida.

1 valve, all 16 valve seats, coolant rail seals, head gasket & bolts ordered

seems to be a good article on gasohol...Star Tron Fuel Treatment is the recommended product around here

https://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

Star-Tron-Enzyme-Fuel-Treatment-INFP-110500-NEWSTF-09.jpg

there's also Yamaha Ring Free Plus additive for attacking carbon and for use with gasohol

ACC-RNGFR-PL-32-500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you mind posting a scan of the report they send you? I also wonder if they have any recommendations for maintaining the injectors.

when they called me for payment, they had already done the work and said my injectors were not problematic upon checking them. They did come out better after service, but only like 10-15%ish.

since the injectors handled by my shop 100mi away (I never had them in hand), I asked Aaron the mechanic about it and he said there was no paperwork included that he remembers. I checked into it and it seems they didn't think I'd care since I was not racing. The busa racebikes are much more interested. Sorry, I'd have wanted to see it as well.

I'm going to try to remember to call them and see if they can pull the data up and get it to me.