Problem with Muzzy mufflers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX

Reaction score
I recently purchased another 2006 FJR used . It cam with Muzzy slip-ons and I'm real happy with the sound. The problem is after riding 100-200 mi or so the muffler starts to slide off where it connects to the header under the bike. I,ve called Muzzy for correct torque specs and also tried making it tighter the specified to no avail. I just went out and bought a new gasket from Yamaha and was wondering if the gasket goes on the header first or do I slip it into the pipe coming off the muffler first before I put it on? Also does anyone have any idea why the left pipe only keeps sliding aft? It doesn't come off all the way but just enough to be a PIA and have partial exhaust noise come from under the bike.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your purchase. You said, ANOTHER FJR. Does that mean you have two?

Sorry to hear about the Muzzy problem. Good luck

Gary

darksider #44

Thanks..Bought a brand new one in 06 and had to sell it(have multiple bikes) and as soon as the guy rode it out the driveway I knew I had made a mistake so a couple months ago I bought a low mileage used one and I am SO happy I got one back except for this problem..I have the stock exhaust but I'd rather not put them back on

I don't understand how it can move if the rear mount is secure. When I had Muzzy on mine I didn't clamp the header pipe because they were used and didn't come with the clamps. Just slid them on and mounted the rear properly and never had an issue. The can't move unless the rear is not secure.

Try to put some Hi temp silicone gasket sealer around the header and the midpipe then tighen them when it dries it should seal it.

Thanks for the reply's. The rear mount is secure and keeps the muffler from falling off but after I secure the muffler with the clamp it walks back about an inch or so to the point that I can here (and see in the Winter) the exhaust leaking out by the header. Also you can see by looking at the back of the bike that the left muffler is much farther back. Thought about hi temp silicone, maybe I'll give that a try

Thanks for the reply's. The rear mount is secure and keeps the muffler from falling off but after I secure the muffler with the clamp it walks back about an inch or so to the point that I can here (and see in the Winter) the exhaust leaking out by the header. Also you can see by looking at the back of the bike that the left muffler is much farther back. Thought about hi temp silicone, maybe I'll give that a try
The rear mount may be tight on the bike but is is properly clamping the muffler. In order for it to move it has to be sliding in the clamp.

It's as tight as the right one is. If I grab it and try and push or pull it , it will not move at all. Whats happening is as I go over bumps and just ride the bike it backs out very slowly and gradually until it gets to a certain point then stops but at that point I can here exhaust noise coming from down below and you can see it sticking out from back of bike.

Something has to be loose in order to let the pipe move. Obviously the pipes are not clamping together properly, but what else is allowing movement?

Either your header pipe is moving, or the muffler is moving. You gotta figure out the second part before your problem is completely solved. Otherwise your just putting a Band-Aid on it.

Your right Hotrod. I just got off the phone with Dave over at Muzzy . I sent him some pictures and he is gonna get back to me with his thoughts. Funny thing is left side looks just like the right side.They are both clamped the same way, everything looks tight. Very strange

I have muzzy slip ons. And I can say withh 100% certainty that Ioosening the smaller clamps under the bike will not cause the slip on to separate from the rest of the exhaust if everything is lined up right. But i also remeber when i first istalled them, that it took alot of playing with alignments to get everything working right. I would check the main holders. They could be twisted funny or maybe the pipe under the bike is twisted funny and tightening the big clamp puts funny torque on it.

After reading all the reply's I'm taking a closer look at the rear muffler support. It looks tight just like the other side but it can be moved a little bit if I try. I ordered a new one. It cant be tightened any more than it is so I don't know what the deal is. This is a big PIA

I had muzzy's on my 08 and had to do some fiddling to get everything aligned right, especially the left side because of the center stand stop. I remember clamps at the header. Is there any chance your clamp is stretched, stud bent, or not the correct size. It would bottom out when tightening, giving the perception it's tight, but not applying enough clamping pressure. The OEM packing is some type of high temp graphite looking stuff that is slippery, that doesn't help. You could try a new clamp if everything else is OK. On the OEM mufflers the packing is glued into the muffler. I usually put the packing into the muffler 1st, then slide the muffler onto the header. Are you able to slide the muzzy muffler all the way to the stop on the factory header, if not that could be a problem too. In that case, loosen the split bolt at the muffler and let some pipe out or slide the muffler forward in the mount. The goal is to minimize the tension on the slip joints, so that they are not trying to slip apart under heat and vibration. I remember setting mine up so that there was forward pressure on the joint, I was afraid it would come loose, drop down and pogo the exhaust.

Not that I would buy it here, for ref. only

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/118/31160/ITEM/Cobra-Stainless-T-Bolt-Clamps.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Exhaust%20Clamps&WT.MC_ID=10010

Last edited by a moderator: