PIAA Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered the 85114 set from Amazon on Saturday; received a notification of shipment yesterday, scheduled to arrive here tomorrow, according to Amazon.
I ordered the PIAA 85112 Sports Horn 500-600Hz horn combo from Amazon today and got a ship date range from Wednesday March 28, 2012 - Wednesday May 9, 2012. Price was $44.91 with free shipping (via Amazon Prime). Other Amazon vendors appear to have them in stock but end up being at least $10 more with shipping and some don't have great vendor ratings. PIAA had the set in stock but would be $20 more ($9 for the horns + $11 for shipping).

Since I don't intend to mount until May anyway, will wait to see how it plays out. Will keep looking for the 500-600Hz set for around $45 shipped and will cancel Amazon order if I find them elsewhere.

Bob

I installed these (P/N 85114) recently and I am very pleased. $45 delivered from a dealer on eBay. It just took minutes to install and they are WAY louder.

In the past when I honked at a deer it would not even look up. Now they run!

I got the 85110 box, came with 2 horns... 1 400Hz and 1 500Hz. Think I paid right around $50 shipped. Like night and day from the stock horns... love em!

Have any of you who have a 2014 FJR installed after market horn(S)? I would like to go with something that requires no cutting or fancy wiring. Is there a horn that will bolt up to the available mounting point? As you know, the 2014 has one horn.

Have any of you GenIII owners installed the PIAA Slim_Line Sports Horn? As you know, the 2014 has just one horn. Will just one PIAA make a significant improvement over the stock horn? It appears it would not require a relay. Will it bolt up without having to trip the fender well? Is there adequate fork clearance on full left turn on the bars?

Motorcycle Consumer News (Apr 2014) did a write up on after market horns and they rated the Fiamm Twin Tone Horn Set the best value. They state you can use just one horn and suggest it be the low tone one. That horn has actual sound level: 127.8dB while the PIAA Slim Line has actual sound level 114.9dB. Have any of you installed just one of the Fiamm low tone horns and does it require a relay? Does it require any altering the fender well? It has a power draw:4.6A.

I want to beer up the horn performance but do not want to cut into the body work. Thanks for your input.

Art

I can't speak to the Gen III installation; however, I'm familiar with the dual PIAA horn sets and have them on both my FJRs (Gen IIs), plus my buddy has them on his Gen I. We installed all three sets without any modifications whatsoever; it is a bit tight to work in that area and you have to stretch the wires a bit on one side.

I researched before buying and I think it was a fellow on this forum that had checked the draw on the PIAAs and it was less than stock. We've had no issues and no relays are being used.

When doing the installation I experimented with the difference in loudness between the 400 & 500 Hz horns; result was they are about the same. I can say without hesitation that one of these horns is much louder than a stock horn. I really like them.

BTW Art, If you choose to go with PIAAs, I suggest buying the set even though you only need one. The individual PIAA slimline costs the same as the dual set. If you get both, you can decide which one you wish to use and which orientation of the horn fits best in on your Gen III (they are mirror images of each other).