Knocking Noise in First Geaar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but, in doing a search, I couldn't find the thread.

Not all the time but sometimes, especially when it's cold, my AE makes a knocking noise in first gear for a few seconds when first starting out. It goes away pretty quckly and runs just fine after that.

Can someone remind me concerning what may be causing it?

Thanks. :)

I know this has been discussed before but, in doing a search, I couldn't find the thread.

Not all the time but sometimes, especially when it's cold, my AE makes a knocking noise in first gear for a few seconds when first starting out. It goes away pretty quckly and runs just fine after that.

Can someone remind me concerning what may be causing it?

Thanks. :)
Monty, I have no clue, but this is topic is worthy of a bump... ;)

Are you hearing the noise at idle, during acceleration or deceleration? If you hear this during deceleration, my guess would be timing chain slap and the solution is the upgraded CCT.

Are you hearing the noise at idle, during acceleration or deceleration? If you hear this during deceleration, my guess would be timing chain slap and the solution is the upgraded CCT.
Only hear it during acceleration when cold and first starting out and not every time. It sort of sounds like clutch hasn't fully released. It clunks several times and then runs fine after that. :unsure:

Only hear it during acceleration when cold and first starting out and not every time. It sort of sounds like clutch hasn't fully released. It clunks several times and then runs fine after that. :unsure:
Do you feel it as well as hear it? If so, two possibilities, one is the need for a clutch soak, the second is a need for the clutch hydraulics to be bled.

The first is easy, the second a bitch.

Don't worry about it, mine bangs around for the first thirty seconds too. I just let it warm up a little before I pull out. I have no doubt it has to do with the cold idle circuit, I seriously doubt it's a clutch thing.

More info HERE

I think the reference to either the lean burn or gear lash is the ticket.