Moonshine SS1K

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
Curt Gran has set up a series SS1K cert rides for people who want to go to the Moonshine gathering:

https://sites.google.com/site/mlrss1k/

You won't need a starting witness, and you can get your cert right away at the end of the ride. I am seriously considering this since the need to ride is getting out of hand as the snow continues to fall here in Northern IL.

More Fun in the sun, or rain, or snow at Moonshine.

Thinking about doing my 200 mile to Moonshine a day early, then running the Casey to Erie to Casey route. :)

I'm seriously considering this as well. You have to leave from predetermined starting points, so since I don't live in one I'll have to ride out to a starting town the night before I do my SS1K ride (live in New Orleans, closest starting points are Lafayette, LA or Mobile, AL). But given the lengthy delay in receiving your certification and the pain involved in complete documentation this looks to be the best ticket to IBA.

Chris

I signed up for this today, leaving from Columbus, OH. I'm riding 2-up so the wifey can make her Iron Butt status official.

Looks like I am going to have to skip this yet again. There just aren't enough weekends to ride everything I want, and be around for the family. "Next year."

Goin' miss ya Tim. Hope you make it next year.

Long term weather forecast for my route of choice shows thunder storms for Thursday and Friday. Should be an electrifying experance.

:lol:

I just got in under the wire today and signed up for Chicago to Council Bluffs to Moonshine. I've done over 1k in a 24 hour period before, but never as an organized ride that I got credit for.

As much as you guys will laugh I did Glenwood Springs, CO to Chicago by way of Kremerling, CO and St Louis before on a Suzuki Burgman 650 in 24 hours and I did Grand Junction, CO to Davenport, IA, by way of Cheyenne, Wyoming in less then 24 hours on the FJR last year. So I'm not sure why I think that this will be that hard.

Well Skoot, Moonshine's done for another year.

Look at all the fun ya missed.

DSCN0495.jpg

DSCN0494.jpg

And how many people does it take to put a car tire on an ST

DSCN0497.jpg

We made it out to moonshine bright and early.

DSCN0576-1.jpg

We managed to have a nice moonburger breakfast around 9am, socialize and head out just as the deluge airboss has pictures of set in. Since we couldn't stick around for the wet weather in Casey, we decided to just ride the 350 miles home in it.

c50ce2a5-1.jpg

LD content: the wife and I completed her first official SS1000 to finally earn her IBA #. We left Columbus, OH around 4:30PM Thursday. We rode straight out I-70 to Kansas City, MO, turned around and went straight to Casey, IL on I-70. According to the GPS, we rode 1038.8 miles in a total of 17:40, with a moving avg of 71.5mph and an overall avg of 58.7mph. Which isn't too shabby considering we kinda lolly gagged having dinner at 8pm, Denny's for the Kansas City turnaround receipt at 3am, and a BK breakfast snack around 8am. So it was more of a RTETRTETRTETRTE...

I did make to Moonshine on Friday afternoon, an hour before my 24 hour deadline fort he SS 1,000. I did the Chicago to Council Bluffs to Moonshine and the sky opened up near Council Bluffs with strong winds and deluge of rain from there to St Louis. Some of why I did a loolygaging 23 hours. I left moonshine on Saturday afternoon to get out of the rain and headed southeast towards Louisville. The rain ended 35 miles out of Moonshine and I had sunshine the rest of Saturday and Sunday as I spent the time putting on many miles in the hills of Southeastern Indiana particularly Indiana 66 and Indiana 62. All in all I had a great time.

Speaking to some of the MLRSS1K riders most of them did have foul weather at some point of the ride.

Almost felt like I cheated, did the Casey/Canton,MS/Casey route Thursday/Friday didn't even have an overcast till on the way back maybe 100 mile South of Effingham where the stars begin to disappear. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
How many riders picked up there SS1K ? The weather looked a bit iffy, however I heard the total count was close to 800.
75 signed up, 60 actually started, 3 DNF's, 57 finishers (3 pillion)

The weather for the SS1K was great. The weather for our ride home Sat was rain and cold, but it still beats a good day at work...

Latest posts