FJR Tech Day IV

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
What: FJR Tech Day IV. Or, FJR Tech Day 4. Or, FJR Tech Day Number Four.

Where: The sheep pen, also known as Casa de BustanutJoker, Owosso, Michigan.

When: May 5, 2012.

Why: Because.

So for Tech Days past, we have had themes. They have included CCT changes, valve checks, and fork service. This time 'round ... well, we're just not that organized, so we're just gonna get together and take things from there.

I will be bringing my JustRoy-made steering stem nut socket thingamabob, Bust has my valve shim kit if ya wanna check yer valves (valve checks require planning if yer gonna ride in and do a valve check), I think yamafitter was gonna pull a trailer and bring his NoMar so tire changes will be a snap, and there may be some beer.

So c'mon up / down / over the first Saturday in May. We'll be there. PM me or Bust for the address.

It'll be hoot.

Oh - and 'Zilla, Howie, Bungie, beemerdons, and anyone else out there whose phone number we may collectively have: either turn your phones off or don't answer if we happen to call at 3:00 AM. Consider this your one-and-only warning.

Go ahead and call Andy, I've already pre-recorded The Curly Shuffle I'll play for You Knuckleheads! Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

Hey Guys, have any of you ever noticed before how much Curly looks like FJRob1300?

PHOTO_6250776_40602_9929278_ap_320X240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This was such a big help for me last year, I'm going to say I'm in. Especially with all the bike trips I have this year, it'll be nice to make sure the bike is in good working order. And since I'm mechanically retarded, I rely on others for help.

So count me in. I've got 23k on the clock, what do I need to do?

Sounds to me like you're about due for a valve check, but that's a bit over my head. If you can bribe someone in to helping you with this, a couple of tips:

1. Bring / buy beer.

2. Get there Friday - ya don't wanna be tearing into the guts of a hot engine.

3. Think - and I mean REALLY think - about doing this. You are going to be a ways from home, and it is easy for things to go awry quickly. When we did mine, the exhaust cam came off the timing chain. We were lucky - Ray got the cam back onto the chain without issue, but it could have gone much, much worse VERY easily. In fact, at the last Tech Day, a valve in one of my forks broke. Luckily Sooze drove up so I had a car to ride home in. So, just in case, have a plan for alternate transportation home.

4. Buy / bring beer.

Added to my calender. I think I'll be there.

What are the chances we could service my forks without breaking a valve off? All-stock forks on a 2008 with 36k miles that have never been serviced before.

Should I go with a simple fluid replacement, or should I dig into it more for bushings too?

Sounds to me like you're about due for a valve check, but that's a bit over my head. If you can bribe someone in to helping you with this,
The valve check is pretty easy. Ray helped me with mine last year, then I successfully helped Wayne do his about a week ago. I could help you out while I'm waiting for my forks to drain, and while waiting for fresh oil to settle in. If you actually need to adjust any valves, then I won't be much help.

I have a valve cover gasket that I can bring in case you need it (for ~$20, or whatever I actually paid for it). Neither Wayne nor I needed to replace ours.

What are the chances we could service my forks without breaking a valve off? All-stock forks on a 2008 with 36k miles that have never been serviced before.

Should I go with a simple fluid replacement, or should I dig into it more for bushings
Chances are good that we can successfully service the forks since it is not a POS Gen I. At 36 K miles it is probablle that the bushings need replacement. You may want to consider calling GP Sispensions or Traxxion about upgrading the springs and valving since we are going to have everything apart anyways and this would be the time to do it.

Well crap! May 5th is the day I am starting out on my motorcycle trip across America (a.k.a. the B.S. 2012 tour) with three of my buds. Hopefully I can hit the fall one again.

Well crap! May 5th is the day I am starting out on my motorcycle trip across America (a.k.a. the B.S. 2012 tour) with three of my buds. Hopefully I can hit the fall one again.
Too bad yer gonna have to miss it Scot.. I have it on good authority there is going to be beer, male strippers an shaved animals fer dis un..

Shit I might even have me bike painted by then

I've got to look and see where you are, but I'm in MI too so I will say that I'm in to. I would really like to do a TBS does anybody have the tool?

Your aboot 2 hours away Wilson..Hook up with Design flaw Tim.. He's only 20 minutes from ya
Not exactly 20 minutes from Stevensville, but I'd be happy to meet up and ride over. I think I may head over on Friday. Andy's right, I don't want to work on a hot engine. I work in Holland, which wouldn't be too far out of the way, and we can head up 196.

And valve check sounds great if someone is willing to help out. UP, I'll take the valve cover gasket if needed. Thanks.

Your aboot 2 hours away Wilson..Hook up with Design flaw Tim.. He's only 20 minutes from ya

Just looked on mapquest, 2 hours and 40 minutes, I'm in. If anybody has the TBS tool let me know. If not I was thinking about buying it anyway so I will probably just buy it. I would like to have someone who has done it around when I do it the first time. I'm no newbie with a wrench, but its always nice to have some experience around when ya do something new.

Not exactly 20 minutes from Stevensville, but I'd be happy to meet up and ride over. I think I may head over on Friday. Andy's right, I don't want to work on a hot engine. I work in Holland, which wouldn't be too far out of the way, and we can head up 196.

And valve check sounds great if someone is willing to help out. UP, I'll take the valve cover gasket if needed. Thanks.

Yeah, your not to far. I've been to Muskegon a few times. I've got a buddy who does tattoos up there. I'd be cool with meeting up somewhere along the way.

I hope to have all my maintenance done by then, including the valves, but I'm going to try to stop in and say "hi" anyway.