Custom Paint on my 2008 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like what you did with the sidebags. However, even though it would not match the 'lines' of your paint job ideas, I think painting the sidebags something like this would look good.

YamahaFJR13003.jpg

RedBlackFJR.jpg

So if your going to do a custom paint job, I say pull off the stock FJR logo under the seat and do something more creative. Maybe have someone airbrush a nice one off logo on the fairing or something? Just a thought.
Just to whore this up, because it was so sweet. This was on my last FZ1.
IMG_1654.JPG

I bet there's all kinds of creative things you can do with the FJR logo. Sadly the above bike was impaled into the side of an Acura and is long gone.

It would be nice if we could source some pre-cut adhesive decals for something like this.
I know a place that does this and they do very good work. A buddy of mine had two of his bikes done. The cool thing about them was when he traded them in, all he had to do was peel them off and the bikes were back to stock.

Which part would you want to make the decals out of? I'm thinking the red would be easier to do, but I bet either would be possible. Hell, if Albuquerque has a place that does this, I'm betting most large cities have them.

It would be nice if we could source some pre-cut adhesive decals for something like this.
I know a place that does this and they do very good work. A buddy of mine had two of his bikes done. The cool thing about them was when he traded them in, all he had to do was peel them off and the bikes were back to stock.

Which part would you want to make the decals out of? I'm thinking the red would be easier to do, but I bet either would be possible. Hell, if Albuquerque has a place that does this, I'm betting most large cities have them.

I'm sure could do it and might appreciate a FJR1300 specific design they could resell without having to pay Yamaha a license fee. They probably would need a FeeJr donor to use in cutting the first set. They are located in Raleigh, North Carolina. I used one of their tape kits on a helmet that I used for a long time without any problems.

I'm sure could do it and might appreciate a FJR1300 specific design they could resell without having to pay Yamaha a license fee. They probably would need a FeeJr donor to use in cutting the first set. They are located in Raleigh, North Carolina. I used one of their tape kits on a helmet that I used for a long time without any problems.
I agree that the red parts would be the easiest to mak edecals for (aside form the little bits on the lower side fairings.

Tapeworks is only about 20 minutes from where I work. Maybe I'll strike up a conversation with them about this.

It would be good to get a headcount for pricing details if they're will to do it.

I used to have a Honda CBR600RR and they were unable to come to an agreement with Honda so they couldn't sell any Honda specific decals.

I just sent an e-mail off to Tapeworks with a picture to indicate what some folks here might be interested in. Apparently things aren't going well there - they have let multiple licenses expire due to "economic circumstances" - including Yamaha.

I assume they must have some excess decal cutting capacity on hand.

I just sent an e-mail off to Tapeworks with a picture to indicate what some folks here might be interested in. Apparently things aren't going well there - they have let multiple licenses expire due to "economic circumstances" - including Yamaha.

I assume they must have some excess decal cutting capacity on hand.
No reply yet from TW - not sure if they're still in business.

Nice, Like the second version with the top of the saddle bag in red too. Now I have to decide gold or red as the colors to accent my black.

I like it! The second version with red on top of the saddlebags. Red/Black always go good together. Very tough looking. :yahoo:

The only thing I don't like (I'm being picky here) is the rectangle stock "FJR" logo under the seat. I really like the Yamaha tank logo...but I always felt they dropped the ball bigtime on the ugly, basic, rectangle, no design creativity of the FJR seat logo on the Gen II bikes. It's like a complete afterthought and they said "Shit...we forgot the FJR logo. Just throw that cheap block one on there". I think the Gen I logo on the fairing is 10 times better looking IMO.

So if your going to do a custom paint job, I say pull off the stock FJR logo under the seat and do something more creative. Maybe have someone airbrush a nice one off logo on the fairing or something? Just a thought.
Sadly red and black do not always go together. I ran into that issue when attempting a similar scheme on mine. It could have been the red we used (hot hues raspberry over gold metallic) but the two did not work well together.

1aee_12.jpg
[/img]

I would love to see that paint job in a nice bright yellow too.

I love the paint/body line combos.

oops link didnt work.. ill have to refigure how to post from photobucket

there I fixed it

Last edited by a moderator:
charon76 did another nice little trick when he painted his, he put a light coat of hot hues raspberry over the FJR emblem on the side covers. So you get the raspberry tint and can still see the emblem. It looks awesome as did the rest of the bike. :clapping:

This FJR is sitting on the floor at dealer here in town. I think it may be there a while.... Not a great pic--but kind of a metallic copper. I'd have to say the factory really knows what colors look best on this bike IMO.

IMAG0273.jpg