Anti freeze

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou D

Reaction score
Hi All, Time to change the anti-freeze on my 2006. I bought it used last year with 3,000 miles. I assume it was never done. What is the recommended stuff? Prestone, etc. or an alternative like Engine Ice etc.? Any advice? thanks, Lou D

Most any good quality coolant for aluminum engines mixed 50/50 with distilled water will be fine. If you want to pay somebody else for water then buy the premix.

I wouldn't waste my still on water....can buy distilled water for a buck a gallon.

Distilled water from the store is about $1 a gallon. Be careful to NOT get de-ionized since it's not the same thing.

Any coolant that specifies silicate free and safe for aluminum engines should be good.

The simplest is Honda Pre-mix.

I tried Engine Ice once (and they did a refill of it without asking if I wanted to continue during a milestone service). Don't waste your money. A high-quality antifreeze is a third of the cost and performs equally well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got some Peak antifreeze that was silicate and phosphate free at the autoparts store. I got the ready to use stuff since it was on sale for $9 a gallon.

Gave the system a good flush and I'm ready to go for the next couple of years.

Anybody tried Warchild's FJR Blowjob (his words, not mine) on the Maintenance page of FJRTech.com?

Maybe I'm not taking coolant maintenance seriously enough, but my initial reaction while reading through it was, "Jeez, seems like overkill to me."

BigChunk

Anybody tried Warchild's FJR Blowjob (his words, not mine) on the Maintenance page of FJRTech.com?

Maybe I'm not taking coolant maintenance seriously enough, but my initial reaction while reading through it was, "Jeez, seems like overkill to me."

BigChunk
Unless you're changing coolant types, like from the OEM coolant to DexCool, its overkill. Whatever makes you feel good though.