#1 bigdolma

bigdolma

Master chef for Kebobs & Hummus extraordinaire

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

Hi there fellow riders and non riders, now that I got your attention from the "title". Needless to say, if you are looking for the other "toe" stuff, then perhaps you might want to try your favourite search engine for an alternative toe. Otherwise, welcome to my first real AUTHENTIC camel toe ride.

Follow up from my previous post of "moving to the UAE" a few moons back, I am happy to say my FJR is now in the UAE and riding it over the weekends with some fellow non FJR riders. UAE has a few clubs and just like any part of the world, riders from all walks of life share the same passion regardless of race, color, relegion or favourite Hummus flavor. I prefer Red Pepper paste :)

Here we go!

Before I shipped the bike over, took to my good friend FJRHAL. Hal replaced the pads, fluids, fixed a few "McGyver" wiring jobs that I had done but were not to Hal's "standards" B). He further changed the sparks, new tires and minor adjustments. Hal, many thanks for work you put it, well worth it.

FJR arrived by boat from LA and landed in Jebel Ali, local harbor in the UAE. After a few "formalities" and without getting into too much detail, they delivered it to my house on top of a pick up truck, tradditionaly used to carry vegetables, furniture and camels. But hey, it came in one piece. They pushed it onto a flat bed truck, lowered it to the ground and started up like a champe.

Full coverage insurance next day about $250 U.S drove it to our DMV "Road Transport Authority" for registration and plates. Paid roughly $45 USD for registration and plate. After inspection - blinkers work, breaks light up, horn (was not expecting the magnum blasters) the guy jumped about a foot - was expected the pancake type of beep :).

Here is the last pic of People's Republik of Kalifornia plates on

Posted Image

Here is a pic with Rajeeb R/R and Dubai plate is in!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took her out to the first UAE quality gas - quite good if I may add, we get 95 as low octane and 98 as high octane. Its a mandatory full service so you can not pump yourself. The guys at the pump know that and take full measure not to drip fuel on tank.

Posted Image

Checked the tire pressure

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is me :)

Posted Image

and off I went towards the "central" part of the country.

Posted Image

First stop is Dubai Land....

Dubai Land was suppose to have been the "Disney Land of the Middle East" and all the other "lands" but due to budget cuts, it became a bit static for the time being. So the famous attraction is now the Feejer. However, there is a Space Shuttle parked in the back of it by the high way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, only the entrance is made but behind it is sand. The management still promises delivery of this massive project sometime soon.

Went on towards "Sharjah" on the (Emirates Road) 311 highway, which is parrallel to the main "Sheikh Zayed" 11 highway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Emirates road is 6 lanes and sometimes 7 each way. Very nice ride but straight shooter. Speed limit is about 120 klm (75mph) but you can go upwards of 145 kl/h without getting a "forward facing camera flash" ;)

Onto the center part of country

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 bigdolma

bigdolma

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

Some may be familiar with the sand, but hey, its sand everywhere and black tar in the middle

Posted Image

Some of us may remember a trip we took north of Kali and stopped at a fruit stand, here is one in UAE. These guys are everywhere and have some great produce and cheap. He can even wash, peel and serve onsite at no extra charge - baksheesh is good for "future business" :)

Posted Image

Continued on Posted Image

But sometimes you may make a turn and then suddenly...

Posted Image

But hey, they idea of Touring is possibly to get lost yeah?

Continued further and passing sand dunes, left and right part of the highway parts of which become rocky. You can see the wind pushing the sand upwards towards the hills. This is on my way to "Hatta" or the border of Oman.

Posted Image

Then onto 120 highway towards Kalba, the road twisties thru the hills

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little village just on the side of the road welcomes you

Posted Image

Entrance to the village of Wadi El Helo or the "Sweet Valley"

Posted Image

Beautiful village, something you dont see in US is a Feejer next to a Beautiful Mosque.

Posted Image

Continued onwards towards Kalba with a photo of the local ruler, very well respected.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Landed on the other side of the UAE just North of Oman border into Kalba, a seaside town facing the Arabian sea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Local fort was used to protect the “invaders” from the sea. Very well preserved

Posted Image

Fueled up, hydrated and off I went via another route.

Posted Image

The dunes change from part of the country to another

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost look like….

Posted Image

Rode into another village to take a break and hydrate more and shoot the breeze

Posted Image

The view behind me next to town

Posted Image

Scorpion tracks in the desert sand.

Posted Image

Local kids saw this space age bike, walked by to check it out

Posted Image

Ali could not hesitate to ride it. Only concern is armor boots. I offered a ride behind me but Ali said his father may disagree

Posted Image

But his cousin Hamad asked if he can tag along

Posted Image

Local camels saw this strange silver animal, came by to check it out

Posted Image

Strike the pose!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Imagine crashing into one of these at any speed.

Posted Image

The story is you have to pay the owner with some cash to compensate, could cost you a lot, your leg, wife, foot, life, mistress…you name it.

Posted Image

Hey! What about me??

Posted Image

This one was not interested

Posted Image

Watch out!

Posted Image

Great bend, tires stick like Velcro

Posted Image

Posted Image

And yes, the pose for “Camel Toes” in the area!

Posted Image

And here is the toe I promised.

Posted Image

Then off to home.

Posted Image

Here is the map

Posted Image

I have seen only one FJR here but no did not have a chance to chat with him. Plenty of bikes, a lot of Harleys, Italian, Japanese. Local dealer
sells an FJR a year he says, willing to negotiate .

Wa Salam ou 3alaykom!

#3 Intech

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

Great ride report. thanks for sharing.

No fancy signature line. Too many meets to try and keep up with the icons.

#4 CAJW

CAJW

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

Interesting RR, thanks for sharing. I'll bet that place is a real hoot when the wind picks up! :rolleyes:

2104 Beta 520RS, 05' Gen I, 02' DRZ400SM,04' Beta
IBR #30248
I love Deer. (Dead, preferably barbequed or jerkyfied)
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

#5 someguy

someguy

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

awesome........................
1980's Suzuki DR400, 1986 Suzuki GSXR 750, 1969 Harley Davidson shovel head, 1993 HD electraglide, 2004 Honda VFR and the list goes on
2010 FJR (sublime)

#6 BwanaDik

BwanaDik

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

Outstanding report! Thanks for sharing :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Do you speak the local language?

Not much traffic once you're out of town. I've been to Sharja, been on the one road between there and Dubai and it was packed! Must ne nice when you get out of town.

Riding season ends soon? It was in the 120's when we were there in September, not exactly good riding weather! But at least it never rains (or at least not much) :)

dropfinal.gifsfo08.gifsfo09.gifSWFOG2010.gifswfog-twitter-60px.jpgSWFOG2014_zps29cf405c.jpg BB1500 SS1000 IBA#39439

#7 BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

VERY NICE. Not every day we see a RR from that part of the World. Thanks for sharing. :clapping:

"The proper function of man is to live not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time"  Jack London

#8 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,536 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Great to see you posting another excellent RR, BD!
and geesh, talk about a teaser title!

Great pix, really liked this one..
Posted Image
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#9 deang

deang

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Bike: 2012 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Great report.
This is one sweet ride!!

2012 Yamaha FJR1300 - Cobalt Blue, the fastest color to roll off Yamaha's FJR assembly line.
1985 Honda V45 Magna
1978 Honda CX500

#10 ahchiu

ahchiu

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Great pictures, not much twisties, you may need to go to the Darkside with all the flat straight roads there.. :rolleyes:
Marcus
06 FJR1300A, 04 R6
Previous Bikes: 00 Honda ST1100, 97 Triumph Tiger, 83 Suzuki GS1100E
I'M SLOWER THAN SOME, FASTER THAN MOST

#11 Willie

Willie

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

thanks for the RR. good read, especially for a place that is unknown to me.

Willie

-----------------------------------
2008 FJR1300A 2007 FJR1300A - crashed- 2006 Kawasaki Concours-sold

IBA# 32847

#12 SacramentoMike

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Very interesting pics indeed, even though I'm pretty sure I prefer my local NorCal riding. I'd trade traffic with you, though. That gas station looked pretty immaculate. Bet the restrooms are above average. What are gasoline prices like there?
"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx
"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff." Jack Handy
"Watch out for that tree!" George of the Jungle
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#13 Old Michael

Old Michael

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

...And here is the toe I promised.

Posted Image

I'd hit that.
Posted Image

Very entertaining and interesting pics,
Thanks for a glimpse.

#14 raitchison

raitchison

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Great pics and report, maybe that's a way the UAE could attract tourism business, organize and encourage motorcycle tours, looks like the roads are in great shape.

#15 escapefjrtist

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,764 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Looks like a fun new place to explore!

Thanks for sharing...and let us know when you get some more 'toe. :)

--G

IBA 34365

'09 FJR

'12 Super Tenere

#16 juniorfjr

juniorfjr

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the ride along. But It looks kinda like the better part of Arizona :o

IBA #37992, Darksider #32
WFO 4, WFO 5, WFO 6, WFO 8, WFO 9, CFR 09, WCR 10, WTFO 10, NAFO 12, REUBEN RUN

#17 Hudson

Hudson

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

The world just got a wee bit smaller. Thanks for sharing in that part of the world.

Love the idea that no matter where you are from, your religion, your skin color, a kid can still enjoy sitting on a cool bike.

What is the average riding air temp? And what would you do in a sandstorm?

BTW, methinks that camel gives dolly a run for the money, eh Bust?
Posted Image Become a facebook fan of McQueen Racing

#18 bigdolma

bigdolma

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

Interesting RR, thanks for sharing. I'll bet that place is a real hoot when the wind picks up! :rolleyes:

Yes it does, they announce sand storms over the radio.

Do you speak the local language?

Not much traffic once you're out of town. I've been to Sharja, been on the one road between there and Dubai and it was packed! Must ne nice when you get out of town.

Riding season ends soon? It was in the 120's when we were there in September, not exactly good riding weather! But at least it never rains (or at least not much) :)

Thanks! Yes I do speak the local language, helps but most speak english anyway. They love to see bikers and the border police just get a kick out of bikers. Dubai - Sharjah road via the one you took is not fun at all. We avoid it between certain hours by car anyway. July August September is no ride season for us. Realy hot and humid and not fun at all. There is hardly any rai, but mountains have thunderstorms sometimes.

Great to see you posting another excellent RR, BD!
and geesh, talk about a teaser title!

One way to get YOUR attention :)

Very interesting pics indeed, even though I'm pretty sure I prefer my local NorCal riding. I'd trade traffic with you, though. That gas station looked pretty immaculate. Bet the restrooms are above average. What are gasoline prices like there?

The gas stations for the most part are really clean, well maintained employed by Phillipine expats and/or India/Pakistan. The McDonalds and such are typically at gas stations. The liter of Gas in Dubai is 1.72 AED (local currency) which is about .46 u.s. cents/liter. 3.78 liters per gallon implies $1.73 for 95 octane gas. Dubai does not have any oil, almost all comes from Abu Dhabi, the state next to us and the capital of the UAE. I will do another ride report when I get there :)

Great pics and report, maybe that's a way the UAE could attract tourism business, organize and encourage motorcycle tours, looks like the roads are in great shape.

They do local charity tours, but we always see German/Dutch or European plates come down to UAE on their way to Africa on their GS or adventure bikes. However most ride straight lines aka Harleys.

The world just got a wee bit smaller. Thanks for sharing in that part of the world.

Love the idea that no matter where you are from, your religion, your skin color, a kid can still enjoy sitting on a cool bike.

What is the average riding air temp? And what would you do in a sandstorm?

BTW, methinks that camel gives dolly a run for the money, eh Bust?

Between Mid November to Mid May is great for riding. In Jan thru March about 72 highs and barely much lows. Summer is not fun, most people leave for Lebanon, Med countries etc...

Its the same model applies as in the U.S. the speed bikes are at a meeting point gas station early around 6 am, and around 10 am are the harleys :)

Sandstorms no riding, we be staying indoors, not fun :)

#19 kaitsdad

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hey, BigDolma, glad to see the bike made it ok! Make sure there aren't any vegetables stuck in the headers - Bust tells me that carrots attract camels - especially the small ones.

Keep an eye on your air filter. ;)

11,031. Hugs and Kisses!
"I don't like that stuff. It makes my head all wobbly."

dropfinal.gifdropfinal.gifdropfinal.gif367423437_DNNnw-X3.gifwfo05.gifwfo-6.gifnafo01b.gifwfo08.gifwfo09.gif1228986938_qByJd-O.gif

#20 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,882 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Very nice RR. I like seeing new and different places folks use their FJRs. I'll look forward to seeing more from Abu Dhabi in the future.

PS - The octane ratings for fuel "over there" are not the same as "over here". There, like most of the rest of the civilized world, they use the RON rating for fuel octane. But here the AKI octane numbers are shown on the pumps, which is the average of the RON and MON. Here's a full explanation, but the executive version is that regular unleaded fuel that is 87 octane(AKI) here would be 91-93 RON. So the 95 RON fuel you are seeing is the equivalent of our super unleaded 91 AKI octane here. The biggest advantage will be that your fuel will not be cut 10% with ethanol.

-Fred W                 nerd.gif    <----  (Click me!)      We're just getting started...    VisitedStatesMapIcon.jpg