2012 CBA Ride #1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
Normally this time of year I would be skiing and the FJR would still be buried under its nice warm blanket in the back of the garage. Today it hit +12oC and it was just too nice so I pumped up the tires, disconnected the battery tender and threw on the riding gear. With a little tickle of the start button the FJR lit up and we were good to go .... but go where??

Most of my favorite roads would still all be covered with sand in the corners and I haven't done anything terribly strenuous all winter so this would be just a little shakedown run to blow the cobwebs out. First stop was to the local Tim Horton's for my morning coffee. There are certain traditions that need to be maintained. After coffee it was a short ride up to Blackstock to check in with my home Yamaha dealer to see if I could win the prize for first ride-in of the season. On the way up there were a bunch of donkeys in the field and I should have stopped and taken some photos for BeemerDons but I was on a mission. After ordering up a few parts and kicking some tires on a new S10 they had in the shop it was time to head back into town for my Canasta game with the old ladies at the Seniors Center. Lunch at the cafe at the Seniors Center was a chicken sandwich and pop for $3. This is dirt cheap even by Don's standards. I dominated at Canasta and got the old ladies all pissed off at me.

I then headed home and put the FJR back to bed since the weather is supposed to turn nasty again but I can't ever remember being even able to ride in March around here before. Al Gore can kiss my butt. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe it! No picies, didn't happen :lol: :lol:

And that "on a mission" is a pretty lame excuse

Na...never happened

Na...never happened
+1, Gunny; I'm with BwanaDik, without pictures of burros this ride did not happen!

But, I'd ride to the Bowmanville Senior Center for a chicken sandwich and a pop for 3 loonies!

Na...never happened
For all you non-believers .... me and my bike from today's ride ...

CBA-Ride-1-L.jpg

I rode to work today.

It was windy when I took my lunch-time 25-ish mile loop ride.

It was still windy on the ride home.

Not sure what to say about the old ladies getting pissed at you, Bill.

Effin' A

It got up to 7C up here today. But after the 18" of snow we got, immediately followed by -35C temps, it's gonna be a while before I get to get my ride on.

But standing outside today in the sunshine during lunch, it was 5C and I experienced that phenomena that only those of us who live where there are SEASONS get to experience.

It's hard to put into words, but I'll take a stab at it.

When it's +5C in the fall, it feels pretty cold, cold enough to make you question the need to really get the bike out for a ride.

When it's +5C in the late winter, WHERE'S THE KEY TO THE DAMN GARAGE!! I'm going for a ride!

I am SOOO proud of my fellow Candy Butt Association member, Yamafitter!

Well done, my friend, well done!

You rode a few miles, had many a smiles, took money from old ladies, and had lunch for 3 bucks?

You the stud, bubba, you the stud!

:yahoo:

Na...never happened
For all you non-believers .... me and my bike from today's ride ...

CBA-Ride-1-L.jpg
Bro' Bill, if you add a burro to that "photo" I will believe that you actually went for a ride yesterday!

I was born in Toronto in the middle of February, just a few years before dirt was born. From the ages of 16 to 26 I lived there and owned a motorcycle of some sort. Bikes were my only transportation until I was 21 and no longer a starving student. I can only remember one year that I couldn't take a CBA ride on my birthday. No electric gear, no full face helmets in the early years, no brains!

I remember the mess that road salt makes of of Japanese aluminum... I remember hurling one bike to the ground as I finished a left hand turn across a four-lane intersection in busy morning rush hour traffic... I remember the exhiliration of being the only bike on the road in mid-February!

Well done brother Bill.

Too soon oldt, too late shmart!

Ahhhhh, Tim Hortons. All the reason I need to go back to Canada. :yahoo:
There are several locations in the US of A now. It seems that we got one near Norfolk Naval base not terribly long ago.

Edited to say: Wonderful report Bill. Glad that you're getting out. Sweet!

Ahhhhh, Tim Hortons. All the reason I need to go back to Canada. :yahoo:
There are several locations in the US of A now. It seems that we got one near Norfolk Naval base not terribly long ago.

Edited to say: Wonderful report Bill. Glad that you're getting out. Sweet!
I just used the Tim Horton's Locator and my closest Timmy's is in Creston, British Columbia. yamafitter, my BMW K1600GT is fully packed and idling in my driveway. FastJoyRide and I will meet your there for some Timbits and coffee!

Highway Location

300 Helen St

Creston BC, V0B 1G6

(250) 402-0062

distance: 1800.1km

Get Directions

As anyone from Toronto can tell you it is a well established fact that if you go any further west than Mississauga you will fall off the edge of the world.

I didnt know the fjr has a naked version but the truth is in the picture. btw looks really easy to do an engine swap I will bet dc carver wishes he had the naked model.