What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had surgery a week ago, and while laying around the house in a Vicodin induced state I bought a lot of farkels, which I installed yesterday. The Dr said to stay inactive for 2 weeks, but after a week of this stuff piling up I couldn't take it any more. High on a sublime mixture of caffeine and Vicodin I managed to get all of these on in about an hour. After installing I realized that I had pushed it too hard because I almost passed out right there next to my bike. Here's what a week's worth of drug-induced purchases get you:

Sargent Driver's seat - bought used off of the Classified section.

Helmet Guardian: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3864/

It looks good behind the license plate, but I am a little worried about the helmets hanging against either the rear tire or exhaust. I have yet to actually try this out but I thought it was the easiest way to install a helmet locking system for when my bags are full. I put a piece of Velcro on the key and on the inner lid of my glove box so I don't have to add another key to my key chain.

Cee Bailey's 23" tall +2" wide windscreen: https://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/fjr1300_flip_06_ws.html

Cee Bailey's Headlight Protectors: https://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/fjr1300_06grds.html

I got these because they weren't very expensive when bundling with the windscreen.

Top Gun Bar Ends: https://www.fjrgoodies.com/

These things are HEAVY at ~14oz a piece. This should cure handlebar vibrations.

Givi T480 Tanklock Bag: https://www.giviusa.com/soft-luggages/Tank-bags/T480-TANKLOCK

I haven't had a chance to test this out on the open road, but it looks amazing. It also mounts to a piece over the gas tank so teh bag does not come in contact with the tank itself. It's pricey but first impressions are that this is a quality piece of luggage.

Now I just need to get cleared to ride to I can enjoy all of these goodies!

Chris

.........dragged her out of storage yesterday & zipped to the coast for a clam chowder lunch today! Great to be back on the road after a long 4-month winter! Was a balmy 35 when I took off this morning, even a balmier 55 when I got back.

I finally installed the new Racetech springs that I have had sitting for a couple of months, and filled them up with some nice new fork oil. Got a moto-camping trip next weekend, and the stock suspension was completely shot after about 72K miles!, so it was long overdue. Spent a little while getting the settings done, then a couple of short test rides for tweaking purposes.

Also installed my new Drift HD Stealth video camera, and took the bike out for a quick test shoot. (Great video camera in my opinion).

Cleaned all the greasy gunk the overly helpful dealer had sprayed into the windshield mechanism area in a failed attempt to solve my windshield retract shudder.

Fixed the shudder by polishing the tracks, and adjusting the tensioner so the pulley no longer binds.

Snugged up the instrument pod mount, by installing additional soft bushing material to the mounting area.

Got back into the nice, warm house just as a nasty cold wind blew in some more damn snow :angry:

Now indoors and warm, I repaired minor damage to some fairing mount tabs, with some plastic epoxy stuff and fiberglass cloth tape.

I took my FJR on a ride for the first time ever! I'm very pleased I bought this bike. I took a bit of a chance because I only test rode one once a few years age and it was a genI.

I stayed away from the redline since I'm breaking it in, but it seems to have a little more power than my wife's Bandit. I can't wait until it's broken in so I can really put it though its paces. I'm not sure how accurate the MPG readout is, but it showed a 45mpg average when I got back. That seems pretty good since I was varying the rpms as much as possible.

The only thing I didn't care for is the windshield. Luckily I had them through in a V-Stream when I bought the bike. I'm going to put it on tomorrow. Oh, I almost forgot, I'm not sure if I like the seat. But, I'll wait until it's broken in until I decide if I need to do anything.
Seat won't break in!!!! Waiting on my seats to come back from Spencer's in FL. Be here Tuesday and riding on Wed and Thu in MN!!! Have a V-stream on mine and love it!!

Seat won't break in!!!! Waiting on my seats to come back from Spencer's in FL. Be here Tuesday and riding on Wed and Thu in MN!!! Have a V-stream on mine and love it!!
The stock seat on the FJR is way better than the stock seat on the Bandit was, but I think I'll get the Spencer seat mod done also. I'll probably wait until next winter as I can't stand the thought of going without riding the FJR long enough to have the seat work done. I had the Spencer seat mod done to the Bandit and was very pleased with the result.

I wasn't able to get the V-stream installed today as I managed to lose the hex wrench I needed. I would have stopped by the store to get a new set, but I didn't want to cut into valuable riding time!

Well, not today, but last Saturday it was neither raining nor snowing in Portland, OR so there was no excuse for not riding. It was a bit cold but being equipped with an aerostich suit, heated jacket liner and heated grips, and heated gloves (I know, a belt and suspenders!). But, Why not. I try to ride all year and use the car as little as possible, so a few indulgences like heated stuff and AEROstich which I've been wearing for over 25 years now make all the difference.

I needed to do some shopping, so I left on the panniers and top box (Three full size grocery bags fit) and combined a little pleasure jaunt with the grocery chore.

It is only about 80 miles out to the coast, and there are about a zillion routes to take. Saturdays ride took me out to the coast to the charming little port town of Garibaldi for lunch at the fish joint in the harbor, and further up the coast to Astoria for a coffee stop and back to town by way of a number of fun, twisty back roads... to the grocery store for the requisite three bags full, and on home. Mission accomplished with about 250 miles, and the chore.

The weather was spectacular, cold and clear with wonderful blue skies and given the time of year, not much traffic. I love riding in winter. The roads might be wet (This is the NW after all and are often wet in summer as well), but with proper riding gear I'm very comfortable and don't really care if it is cold or if it rains.

So what did I do with my FJR... I rode it of course!

It did pick up a very generous amount of road filth, so the next thing I'll do to it will be a bath.

Gotta ride when you can.

It looks good behind the license plate, but I am a little worried about the helmets hanging against either the rear tire or exhaust. I have yet to actually try this out but I thought it was the easiest way to install a helmet locking system for when my bags are full. I put a piece of Velcro on the key and on the inner lid of my glove box so I don't have to add another key to my key chain.
i've had one on the last two bikes i've owned. i've never had any issues what-so-ever with the helmets hitting the pipes or the tires. and it accomodates both rider and passenger helmets, so neither of us have to carry.

P.

oh, and putting the mirror extenders on Tomorrow, once i get a replacement bolt that's now in the fairing...

riding to work every day this week... :yahoo:

First chance to post in quite a while. Crazy busy at work and home renovations have been soaking up all my time but reeling from the cabin fever I picked the feej up from my brother-in-law's garage where I store for the winter on Saturday. Sunday threw in a set of Iridiums and a K & N filter and it was back to the daily comute today. Man it felt good to blow the cobwebs out of my head. :yahoo:

Dont get on much to post here. What did i do to my fjr today.... Well almost traded her in. Was in looking at new toys and the thoughts crossed my mind (keep in mind its been a few months since i covered it up). The i took it for a ride to the shop for a timing chain tensioner the manual one. Then realized what was i thinking. That would have been a huge regret to trade it in. May just add a second one and get an AE :) . Whew....

Josh

I added a set of stripes to the fairing and had the bags wrapped in siver. I wanted a bit more of a unique look.

photo0032.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to go on a nice ride for a few hours :yahoo:

Made some progress in getting things put back together. Valve check, fork fluid flush & fill, spark plugs, coolant, oil, final drive, front / rear brake pads & cleaning, rear suspension pivot point service, TBS have been done in the past week or so.

https://youtu.be/DONUZsVW26E

Last edited by a moderator:
Recieved and installed my CalSci +4.5 windscreen today (was a bit disappointed at how poorly the holes lined up). Be testing out in the morning on my first commute into work in over 3 months.

Last week mounted my first CT. Took a little getting used to, but I think I'll like it.

And this Wednesday I hope to pick up fuel tank from the welder for the final time. Hopefully he got the leak issue resolved.

Lastly, finally broke open the wallet for a GPS (Nuvi). OK, so I open up the wallet just a little bit.

Recieved and installed my CalSci +4.5 windscreen today (was a bit disappointed at how poorly the holes lined up). Be testing out in the morning on my first commute into work in over 3 months.

Last week mounted my first CT. Took a little getting used to, but I think I'll like it.

And this Wednesday I hope to pick up fuel tank from the welder for the final time. Hopefully he got the leak issue resolved.

Lastly, finally broke open the wallet for a GPS (Nuvi). OK, so I open up the wallet just a little bit.
Which Nuvi did you get? I've got the 5" 1265 and I am very happy with it, on the ram bone mount works perfect with standard 3" arm.

i've had one on the last two bikes i've owned. i've never had any issues what-so-ever with the helmets hitting the pipes or the tires. and it accomodates both rider and passenger helmets, so neither of us have to carry.
If you do end up with the helmets resting on the hot pipes (not a good idea IMO), there's an option for mounting the locks (minus the bar) on the frame where helmet locks used to be mounted on bikes. Fellow forum member TownsendsFJR sells brackets for just that purpose. I have them on the bike and they work great.

If you want to use your bike's key to open those helmet locks, I posted a TUTORIAL on rekeying the locks. I obviously did that to my locks and it's really nice not having to carry extra keys! :yahoo: