What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got mine on the road yesterday. The process started in November but I been traveling (mostly business) a lot since then and been gone for the last 5 weeks straight. So, for winter maintenance I:

1. Valve clearance check/reshim- (reshimmed 5 intake valves)

- installed blank air induction plates and gut useless garbage from under tank

- replaced spark plugs

- replaced coolant (actually twice :( )

- replaced coolant pipe o-rings

2. Replaced air filter

3. Ground spider check and goop

4. Throttle Body Synch

- replaced blank caps

5. Replaced brake & clutch fluids (speedbleeders!!)

6. Suspension pivots/links cleaned and lubed

7. Replaced engine oil & filter

8. Replaced final drive oil & clean/lube drive shaft universals & splines

9. Helmet locks installed

Had to replace the valve cover seal too b/c I folded a corner upon installation, hence the 2nd coolant replacement. So yesterday I cleaned and waxed all the plastics prior to installing and finally rode the damn thing.

Got the cover off of it on Saturday and did the spring service. Went for a bit of a ride yesterday and it's 27 degrees this morning but I'm going to ride it to Bend anyway. Hope Mr. Gerbings works or the blood test I need this AM won't work cause it will be frozen. :)

Installed the 1500ml rinning lights from realtime ind... Holy crap are they bright... will but the 1800ml on the mirrors this week....

Took the filthy old bitch out and tried to drag the pegs. Lost my balls and froze before I had the chance so I stuffed her back in the garage.

Finished with my winter maintenance list yesterday including: valve clearance check, new plugs, change oil and filter, change rear drive fluid, change coolant, clutch and brake fluids, cleaned and re-greased the windshield mechanism, replaced the left mirror, Fenda Extenda, replaced the generator cover, replaced the left saddlebag reflector, cleaned the air filter, re-torqued the engine mount bolts, inspected ground spiders, TBS, added another Powerlet, general chassis lube, checked steering head bearings and saddlebag lock screws.

Today I rode it to Muskegon, MI and back...about 500 miles.

Today I replaced the frame sliders. The old ones were so sun-faded I couldn't stand it anymore. I went with T-Rex Racing ones this time.

Anyone want the old ones? I'm gonna slap them in the lathe today and see if they clean up at all, worked fair last year.

Today I replaced the frame sliders. The old ones were so sun-faded I couldn't stand it anymore. I went with T-Rex Racing ones this time.

Anyone want the old ones? I'm gonna slap them in the lathe today and see if they clean up at all, worked fair last year.
Just out of curiosity, what brand were the old ones?

Washed, Waxed and I Installed this.

screen%20front.jpg

One of the few up sides to living in Alabama is riding weather all year.last week I rode down to Florida and back to a seafood market on the bay.That makes for a fun 720 mile day trip,now Its time for a oil change before heading off to Helen Georga next weekend.

Just out of curiosity, what brand were the old ones?
Beats me, my CMS is getting worse but it's been a long time too. Never been "used", just always been there soaking up the sun.

Anyone want them? The price is right!

DSCN2200.jpg

I haven't done anything to my FJR today, but yesterday I did a few things. I picked it up from having the break-in service done. On the way home, I had my first close call in years. A car pulled out from a side street and came very close to side swiping me. It was a good reminder that I'm invisible on the bike even when there is nothing blocking a cager's view. I usually expect any car around me to do the unexpected and have an escape plan ready. Luckily my lapse was without consequence.

When I got home, I installed a Migsel GPS mount that I purchased from the forum member known as Pinscher. Thanks Pincher!

img4688vz.jpg

img4687b.jpg

After almost ten years of ownership I was bored so I did some heat Mods. Never had a problem but thought I would see if it made any change.

Hey Ray, Just curious which 'heat mods' you did, and was it worth it?

Also, In Oregon and Minnesota, when will we actually NEED to reduce heat? ;)