#1 FJRBilldo

FJRBilldo

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Realized this morning that I had almost the whole day to myself. Just needed to be back home to shoot some photos of my granddaughter by 4:30pm. So I grabbed the camera and the GoPro and headed out. The weather could not have been better!

Started at San Francisquito Canyon, 5 minutes from my house. Took the canyon up around the back of Lake Elizabeth.

Posted Image

Then grabbed Munz Ranch Road and headed out to the Poppy Reserve. Barely any poppies yet. Not sure if I'm too late or too early.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next I grabbed 138 over to Gorman.

Posted Image

Stopped at Mickey D's since mother nature was calling in a BIG way. While I was there I grabbed a quick bite. There's much better places to grub on this ride, but I needed to be back home. No food photos...you all know what a Big Mac looks like.

Next stretch was through Frazier Park and left onto Lockwood Valley Road.

Posted Image

I had the whole valley to myself. It was deserted!

Posted Image

Here's a shot from towards the top of Lockwood Valley Road.

Posted Image

And some cool looking rock formations.

Posted Image

Same rock formations with my fat ass in the picture.

Posted Image

Stopped to look over Ojai Valley. My ass was starting to hurt. (Stock seat.) To bad I didn't have an extra $800 since I just rode right by Russell Seats :(

Posted Image

And lastly a shot of Ojai Valley.

Picked up traffic through Ojai as usual and a bit through Santa Paul and Fillmore. Not bad though.

Home in time to shower and go shoot some photos of Lilly.

Cheers!
b

#2 TheZsdad

TheZsdad

Mr. Bill goes for a ride!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Nice RR FJRBilldo (I know I'm gonna spell Billdo wrong one of these days ;)) Been along time since I was in So Cal. Thanks for sharing.
I felt your pain about the stock seat. One of the first changes I made. You mention riding by Russell seats. Thought they were at the other end of the state.

5042046747_58e57e1211_m.jpgEOM11signaturegraphic50x100.pngNERDS_12_Icon.jpgEOM2012Signature.pngSWFOG2014_zps29cf405c.jpg

#3 FJRBilldo

FJRBilldo

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Nice RR FJRBilldo (I know I'm gonna spell Billdo wrong one of these days ;)) Been along time since I was in So Cal. Thanks for sharing.
I felt your pain about the stock seat. One of the first changes I made. You mention riding by Russell seats. Thought they were at the other end of the state.

I think dad Russell sold the company to his two sons. They are both doing their own thing in different places. I probably have that all wrong...i'm sure some other forum members can clear it up. You may also be thinking of Rick Mayer saddles in nor cal. Also a great seat guy.

#4 K Rider

K Rider

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Great Report! Thanks. I'm not usually big on silver, but I love the color of the 2010.
2008 Yamaha 1300 FJR A
1991 Honda 750 Nighthawk
1984 Yamaha 400 Maxim

#5 russperry

russperry

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think dad Russell sold the company to his two sons. They are both doing their own thing in different places. I probably have that all wrong...i'm sure some other forum members can clear it up. You may also be thinking of Rick Mayer saddles in nor cal. Also a great seat guy.

Russell Day Long is located in Shasta, and its Bill Mayer who's in Ojai and Rick Mayer is near Cloverdale.

'02 YZF600R, '08 FZ1, '06 ZX6R, '08 FJR1300, '06 DRZ400

Russell Seat, Rifle screen, Helibars, AVCC, Real Industries LED driving lights

#6 TheZsdad

TheZsdad

Mr. Bill goes for a ride!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Russell Day Long is located in Shasta, and its Bill Mayer who's in Ojai and Rick Mayer is near Cloverdale.

All about the same distance for me and way too far for a drive-in appointment. To add to the confusion I think one of the Mayer's
goes by Rocky.

5042046747_58e57e1211_m.jpgEOM11signaturegraphic50x100.pngNERDS_12_Icon.jpgEOM2012Signature.pngSWFOG2014_zps29cf405c.jpg

#7 escapefjrtist

escapefjrtist

Searching for Dry Roads

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Nice looking day in SoCal! Thanks for sharing the ride with us. :)

--G

IBA 34365

'09 FJR

'12 Super Tenere

#8 MojaveFJR

MojaveFJR

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

Cool ride.... Don't expect any Poppies this yr. We have had next to zero rain. We saw some along the road but that is it.

Nice ride report.

#9 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,189 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Nice looking day in SoCal! Thanks for sharing the ride with us. :)

--G

+1, Gunny; Excellent Ride Report, Thank You!

#10 beachy

beachy

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

nice report
Posted Image

#11 GeorgiaRoller

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Nice RR.

You might as well be on the moon to me. :D I'm so used to seeing greenery...green grass, tall green trees...etc. I've never been to the desert or Sacramento valley and I'm not used to seeing brown & barren landscapes with scrub-brush and no tree's! It's probably not even technically the "desert" but it looks that way to me. Very interesting to see other parts of the country where people ride & call home. TFS.

#12 FJRBilldo

FJRBilldo

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Nice RR.

You might as well be on the moon to me. :D I'm so used to seeing greenery...green grass, tall green trees...etc. I've never been to the desert or Sacramento valley and I'm not used to seeing brown & barren landscapes with scrub-brush and no tree's! It's probably not even technically the "desert" but it looks that way to me. Very interesting to see other parts of the country where people ride & call home. TFS.

There's lots of trees and greenery, just hard to find a safe place to stop during that portion of the ride to get photos. Regardless it can be an attractive landscape in its own weird sort of way. Someday I'll get over to your neck of the woods. Looks awesome.

#13 GeorgiaRoller

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

Someday I'll get over to your neck of the woods. Looks awesome.

Conversely I'd love to go out west and ride!!! I've only been to Seattle & Lake Tahoe and that's it. Both great places. But I have about 100 more places on the west coast that I'd like to explore.