SE Tech Meet is a GO!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWhldTerror

Reaction score
I have decided to go ahead and hold a tech day next month for the SE region at my place, which is just south of Atlanta. The tech day will be on April 15th, starting at 10am.

Thanks to un4gvn (Yamaha Gold Tech, 2 time Top Tech winner, works on Yamaha's for a living, and owns an 06 with 145k+ miles on it) we have a wonderful resource to help out and mentor those of us still trying to "figure things out".

If you are interested just send me a PM and I will give you the address to my place. I have plenty of work space, so do not be shy! We will hold the tech day come rain or shine (the work space is out of the elements).

For those that have not been to a tech day (well neither have I but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) these are for general wrenching and working. Oil changes, brake jobs, throttle body syncs, etc. No engine tear downs please! :) The intent is for YOU to do the wrenching, with expert advice and assistance, but not for un4gvn or others to do all the work for you.

I have some tools and an air compressor, and un4gvn will be bringing some basic tools as well as a few specialty tools, but if you have some especially a throttle body sync tool, bring them along. I would love for us to have a good turn-out, do not let a spouse or kids keep you away, plenty of room for them to chill with a kids playground close by plus plenty of shopping at the Tanger Outlet Mall down the road if the spouse cares to get away for the "grease geeks". LOL

See you then!

I have decided to go ahead and hold a tech day next month for the SE region at my place, which is just south of Atlanta. The tech day will be on April 15th, starting at 10am.

Thanks to un4gvn (Yamaha Gold Tech, 2 time Top Tech winner, works on Yamaha's for a living, and owns an 06 with 145k+ miles on it) we have a wonderful resource to help out and mentor those of us still trying to "figure things out".

If you are interested just send me a PM and I will give you the address to my place. I have plenty of work space, so do not be shy! We will hold the tech day come rain or shine (the work space is out of the elements).

For those that have not been to a tech day (well neither have I but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) these are for general wrenching and working. Oil changes, brake jobs, throttle body syncs, etc. No engine tear downs please! :) The intent is for YOU to do the wrenching, with expert advice and assistance, but not for un4gvn or others to do all the work for you.

I have some tools and an air compressor, and un4gvn will be bringing some basic tools as well as a few specialty tools, but if you have some especially a throttle body sync tool, bring them along. I would love for us to have a good turn-out, do not let a spouse or kids keep you away, plenty of room for them to chill with a kids playground close by plus plenty of shopping at the Tanger Outlet Mall down the road if the spouse cares to get away for the "grease geeks". LOL

See you then!
I'll bring my Techmate Vaccumate for throttle body syncs.

41XYNy-cxRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hey un4, weren't you one of the first to discover the spider problem or am I loosing all reality to dementia?

Guess it does not matter, a tech day at a peep's house is always good, so you locals make this event happen! :yahoo:

Hey un4, weren't you one of the first to discover the spider problem or am I loosing all reality to dementia?

Guess it does not matter, a tech day at a peep's house is always good, so you locals make this event happen! :yahoo:

Yeah that was me...

Sounds like a good time.

Do you think there would be enough time in the day to do a valve clearance check?

I've kinda let the 26000 mile check slide a bit on my '03.

Would I need any extra parts like valve cover gaskets or are those reusable?

You're just a bit early on the date though. Another week or two and I could bring some of the home brew I got fermenting right now.

Won't be ready by the 15th though.

ray

Sounds like a good time.

Do you think there would be enough time in the day to do a valve clearance check?

I've kinda let the 26000 mile check slide a bit on my '03.

Would I need any extra parts like valve cover gaskets or are those reusable?

You're just a bit early on the date though. Another week or two and I could bring some of the home brew I got fermenting right now.

Won't be ready by the 15th though.

ray
Shouldn't be a problem. The valve cover gasket should be OK, but I would go ahead and pick up the 2 o-rings that go on the coolant pipe where it goes into the head and the gasket for the right engine timing cover. You should also bring a new set of spark plugs (if you're taking them out to do the valves, you may as well put new ones in) and some coolant.

I will bring a shim kit, but can't guarantee that I will have the right ones if needed...

un4gvn....what spark plugs do you recommend? Are the Iridium plugs worth the extra $$$?

RayW let me know if you need the address, I have plenty of working space.

un4gvn....what spark plugs do you recommend? Are the Iridium plugs worth the extra $$?

Yeah there is a difference...Your wallet will be lighter with Iridium ;-)

Seriously, I've run both in my bike and couldn't tell a difference.

un4gvn....what spark plugs do you recommend? Are the Iridium plugs worth the extra $$$?

PM sent...

I used the Iridium plugs in mine once. They seemed to last a lot longer.

Didn't FEEL any difference though.

I guess I should trailer my bike down. That way I KNOW I can get home, even if I get in the middle of something and can't finish before lights out. LOL

hmm...since we'll be tearing into it I wonder if I could fit a cam chain tensioner change into the day too. Heard all the horror stories so probably a good idea.

Ray

Just wanted to update the group and advise everyone we are getting a good group together so far. I am excited and looking forward to the TechDay!

Just wanted to update the group and advise everyone we are getting a good group together so far. I am excited and looking forward to the TechDay!
Thanks for the PM on this...I had no idea.

I'm interested but not really sure that I need anything done on mine right now. I did new spark plugs, coolant flush/fill and oil change at my house about 1 month ago.

I'm curious about the throttle body sync. How do you know that you might need to do this? My bike runs terrific but perhaps it could run even better????

GeorgiaRoller...I will leave the technical answer to un4gvn.

As for coming over, heck even if you do not need anything stop on by, bring the wife if you want. Half of the fun is just hanging out and getting to know one another.

PM if you care to come and I will send you my address.

Thanks for the PM on this...I had no idea.

I'm interested but not really sure that I need anything done on mine right now. I did new spark plugs, coolant flush/fill and oil change at my house about 1 month ago.

I'm curious about the throttle body sync. How do you know that you might need to do this? My bike runs terrific but perhaps it could run even better????
I'm of the mind that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. However, If the throttle bodies have gone a while without being synched, It may need to be done. Usually the symptom is an unstable idle and/or not so smooth transition from idle when accelerating...

Put me down as a definite maybe. I should have been paying more attention, just had CCT, valves and plugs done, but I'd like to at least come meet everyone, hang and help out. Any other wives or SO's gonna be there? I don't get out on the bike very ofter w/o mine.

Put me down as a possible as well. I really need the valve check done but know they can't all be done in one day so maybe if I see it done I might tackle it myself here at the house. Will PM for an address or you can just send it to me.

P.S. I can bring some good beer if you all are into such things as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put me down as a definite maybe. I should have been paying more attention, just had CCT, valves and plugs done, but I'd like to at least come meet everyone, hang and help out. Any other wives or SO's gonna be there? I don't get out on the bike very ofter w/o mine.
PM sent with my address. Wives/SO's are more than welcome! This is as much about meeting each other as it is about wrenching on bikes.

Put me down as a possible as well. I really need the valve check done but know they can't all be done in one day so maybe if I see it done I might tackle it myself here at the house. Will PM for an address or you can just send it to me.

P.S. I can bring some good beer if you all are into such things as that.
I will PM you the address. As for beer, I say bring it on! I have a separate beer fridge in the workshop for just such occasions. :)

All these valve jobs and such, I hope we have a plan to dispose of all the Coolant etc...
I will get some five gallon buckets if I can. I have the ability to dispose of it safely, and legally!