SE Tech Meet is a GO!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather is looking fantastic and we have a good crowd showing up. For lunch I was thinking of just a small donation and we could get pizza, or BBQ, or sandwiches or something.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll there!

Early Spring has put me out of this one. I'm in the swimming pool business and business is out of control right now. Hope to meet and ride with you guys in the near future, but i'll be working my ass off this weekend. Ya'll have fun!

If anyone that is coming via a vehicle and trailer could bring a five gallon bucket that would be appreciated. I have two but will go buy a third, but it never hurts to have more than one needs, just in case.

BTW the weather today and tomorrow is supposed to be amazing. So go ride today, wrench tomorrow! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone that is coming via a vehicle and trailer could bring a five gallon bucket that would be appreciated. I have two but will go buy a third, but it never hurts to have more than one needs, just in case.

BTW the weather today and tomorrow is supposed to be amazing. So go ride today, wrench tomorrow! :D
Working today, but I plan on riding down tomorrow. I'm compiling tools and such to bring with me as the day goes on...

sadly, i won't be joining...

I really hope it's a great turnout and i can join next year! or maybe sooner??

i'd love to meet this group...

and i'm sure i would learn a TON

Well let me be the first to personally thank Tom for setting up this tech day and opening up his "hanger" for us! I was only able to stay a few hours because of obligations with my family but I'm glad I came by. It was nice meeting all of you! Seemed like a good group of people to me. We had 9 bikes there during the hours I was there.

I can't remember everybodies names but it was nice meeting & talking to both guys from Alabama and the rest of the greater Metro Atlanta riders that were there!

I also want to thank Ashley (Un4gvn) for doing the throttle body sync on my bike! :yahoo:

1-ThrottleBody.jpg

2-ThrottleBody.jpg

The settings we got when we first tested my bike. Wasn't off by much but it had room for improvement.

3-ThrottleBody.jpg

After Ashley adjusted it for me. Looking much better!

4-ThrottleBody.jpg

3 bikes in the hanger getting worked on...with a couple wife supervisors! :D

1-Garage.jpg

6 more bikes waiting outside.

2-Garage.jpg

One of about 3 private planes that took off while I was there.

3-Garage.jpg

Thanks again Tom! You should do it again early next year!

I too would like to thank Tom for opening his home and hosting this event. Also a big SHOUT out to Un4gvn for his willingness to provide his experience and expertise. Although I did not plan on doing any work on my bike (I already installed my car tire earlier in week), it was informative to witness some of the work done as well as being able to spend some time talking with Un4gvn on various topics. Again, it was a good day and it was great meeting everyone.

George BullCBXNewman

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto! What everyone else said, plus a big thanks to Kim picking up the bar-b-q for us and most of all, for allowing Tom to host the tech day.

Ashley is simply amazing at what he does! Because of him, my valve check was performed. (55K - first time checked and no adjustment needed), then he did the TBS. I noticed a big difference on the 200 mile ride home, throttle was much smoother. I finally got my PIAA horn installed. It had only been sitting on my garage shelf for over a year. And now, I could actually take off the side panels if necessary. Trust me, that's saying something... Thanks again Ashley! :clapping:

You guys give Terry and I a shout if you are headed this way to visit Barber or just ride sometime. We'd enjoy returning the favor and hosting you guys.

Turk

I would like to ditto all the other replys.. and Tom even ordered a nice day to boot. I had a great time and it was fun meeting other FJR owners. I arrived about 10:30ish and noticed Tom's garage(hanger) is slightly bigger than my 20 X 20 garage

FJRTechDay_0415201202.jpg

Ashley had this cool digital sync tool

FJRTechDay_0415201203.jpg

FJRTechDay_0415201204.jpg

Ashley was doing the TBS on my bike when I got distracted by the sound of a radial engine....

FJRTechDay_0415201205.jpg

FJRTechDay_0415201206.jpg

FJRTechDay_0415201207.jpg

After taking a couple more shots I realized I should be watching...

FJRTechDay_0415201208.jpg

FJRTechDay_0415201209.jpg

Watching bikes come apart was interesting... Ashley made it look easy... he could probably do it in his sleep..

FJRTechDay_0415201210.jpg

FJRTechDay_0415201211.jpg

Checked your valve adjustment lately.......

FJRTechDay_0415201213.jpg

My cheap helmet cam is a Midland XTC... $66 on Amazon..

Tom's bride Kim was also a good host.. she figured we might be hungry and made a run to Shane's Rib Ranch for us...

FJRTechDay_0415201215.jpg

FJRTechDay_0415201214.jpg

The crew...

FJRTechDay_0415201212.jpg

I hit the super slab at 3:24pm and arrived home at 4:23pm . still under an hour even with this...

I came away not any better looking but a whole lot smarter...... :rolleyes:

Great job Tom.... :yahoo:

Thanks everyone for coming over, it was a blast and I do not think it could have gone off any better. Perhaps next year we can have even more bikes!

We not only had several bikes to work on, but also several more that simply came by to visit. The list of work included:

A valve check

3 (4?) throttle body syncs

Spark plug change

Horn installed

Complete fluid change (brake, clutch, oil, final drive)

Installation of speed bleeders

I know we did more but since most of what was listed above was mine I was a weeeee bit busy! :lol:

I would like to give a hats off to a great gathering. It couldn't have been a better time.

Thanks to TwoWhldTerror for hosting. Man, this guy a has a great place, perfect for a gathering like this and could have handled another 50 people. Plus his wife is the perfect hostess helping to take care of the nutional needs.

I can see how un4gvn has obtained his Yamaha certifications and awards. He spins those wrenches like nobody's business. I picked up a lot of good info watching and will put it to good use in the future. I need the recalls done on my 2007 and have found the person to do it.

Rode over with FJRBandit and over the last couple of months of chasing him around Cental Alabama and Georgia, found out the FJR is far more capable bike than I thought. Anyone that can knock out 4000 miles in a week is a RIDER(check out his ride report). I believe I'am finding the limits and pushing the envelope now. I did the Hyperpro upgrade last weekend and that helped the situation.

Found out GeorgiaRoller's family lived in the same town I did growing up. Small world. I'll have to get back with him to take a run though the North Georgia mountains.

I can't remember everyone else's name, but all were great to talk to and get their take on things. Lots of different bike setups to check out. I believe I sat on every type of seat made and can now can make a better decision on one in the future. Like I say, hats off and looking forward to the next one.

Dang...sorry I had to miss that one! I had stopped by the dealership where Ashley works and chatted with him. I was fully intending to come. Was going to trailer my bike down in case we didn't get it all done, but...the blasted truck wouldn't start! So no trailering anything.

So I ended up going to a friend's house and helping him move some dirt...a LOT of dirt. Now I'm paying for it.

Should have come to the tech day instead.

Next time....I'm there!

At least I got to check with an expert and he didn't hear any ticking from my 2003!!

Ray