Appropriate bulkhead fitting for an FJR fuel cell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Kitty

Reaction score
Can someone give me the details on the bulkhead fitting they used that is known to work on the FJR? I see lots of talk about them, but never actual order details in my searching.

It looks like it needs to be kind of low profile. I have one here, but it looks kind of high profile. Was okay on the GS, but I don't think it'll work on the FJR.

Thanks!

Kitty

I bought all the fittings I needed from Sampson. Getting them all from one source was one way of ensuring everything would work properly.

Same same... Sampson Sport Touring (second item down on Skooter's link). All required parts included in the kit to make a proper bulkhead fitting.

There is a thread around here someplace where Joe2Lmaker does a piping/tubing job into the unused port of the GenII fuel pump so you don't have to drill thru the side of the tank. It looks way cool! Maybe he'll stop by and give you a pointer to it. I don't have time to look for it now but you might find it HERE

Edit: Found it Bulkhead fitting

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a thread around here someplace where Joe2Lmaker does a piping/tubing job into the unused port of the GenII fuel pump so you don't have to drill thru the side of the tank. It looks way cool! Maybe he'll stop by and give you a pointer to it. I don't have time to look for it now but you might find it HERE

Edit: Found it Bulkhead fitting
Oh, wow, that would be sweet. I'll have to check this out and, of course, check with Dale :)

Miss Kitty,

I run 1/4" but will change to 5/16 for improved gravity flow. I'm running a Joe2lmaker Tag Along Tank, and while it will drain under gravity it's slow. So I added a squeeze bulb in order to pressurize the tank above the gas, thus forcing the gas down the pipe.

Also, Joe found a valve with 5/16" opening which also would be the kitties meow..

Some of pix are missing, but more info here..

Miss Kitty,

I run 1/4" but will change to 5/16 for improved gravity flow. I'm running a Joe2lmaker Tag Along Tank, and while it will drain under gravity it's slow. So I added a squeeze bulb in order to pressurize the tank above the gas, thus forcing the gas down the pipe.

Also, Joe found a valve with 5/16" opening which also would be the kitties meow..

So no issue with the 5/16 won't be a problem with size?

I was looking at the Sampson site and they show a 'kit' with other bits and pieces, like the quick disconnects, but I can't tell if they're plastic - which I don't want. Does anyone know? The cell came with the valve, so I think I'm good there... The Sampson Web site doesn't show the actual email address, it's just a chima that you click and then it takes you into that annoying microsoft email thing that I refuse to use. And, of course, there's no phone number.

Thanks, Doug!

Miss Kitty,

I was looking at the Sampson site and they show a 'kit' with other bits and pieces, like the quick disconnects, but I can't tell if they're plastic - which I don't want. Does anyone know? The cell came with the valve, so I think I'm good there... The Sampson Web site doesn't show the actual email address, it's just a chima that you click and then it takes you into that annoying microsoft email thing that I refuse to use. And, of course, there's no phone number.

Thanks, Doug!
It's 'Don', but you can call him shitstain for all I care. And I wouldn't go asking him about problems with size. He's a 'little' sensitive about that *if you know what I mean*.

I am pretty sure I used 5/16" as I wanted as little restriction as possible since I used gravity feed. If you don't like Sampson's quick disconnects, I'll try to find the info on what Dean used with his Tanji cells.

Miss Kitty,

Thanks, Doug!
From their website:

"A hard to find part is a self-closing quick disconnect (made from steel and cad plated) rated for fuel. These seal each end separately. We are now supplying them up to 3/8" I.D. hose size. This includes the 2 piece self-closing quick disconnect and 2 brass adapters so you end up with a slip on fitting for the fuel line. The self-closing quick disconnect measures 3 1/4" long when connected. Please order by internal diameter (size) of fuel line you are using."

Like Don, I'm using 1/4" and it does flow rather slowly. When on a long run I usually open my aux. tank valve early (like when the fuel gauge drops 1 or 2 bars). If I were to run it again I'd likely use 5/16".

I bought a BLM setup, pretty sure his bulkhead was not the one on the Sampson site. I'm running 5/16" hose and it's fine. On my Futura I was using 1/4" because the area was so tight that 5/16" would not have worked without being squeezed.

It's 'Don', but you can call him shitstain for all I care. And I wouldn't go asking him about problems with size. He's a 'little' sensitive about that *if you know what I mean*.
After all them pix of you on KoolAid bikes with a brokedick partner riding pillion you quabble about 1/16"? :eek: :p :blink:

Back to topic, Miss Meow, go with bigger, if you can bend the fuel line where needed. I could find the charts showing the delta in fuel delivery rates afforded by 1/16" larger ID, but why? Like MadMike said, 1/4" lines will deliver the flow, you just have to start the process early.. And that's what I didn't like. I'm simple, and when tired, don't need to stress wondering how much fuel is left in the Aux that will feed the Main meaning how many miles 'do I really have left'? :eek:

FWIW, my simple and stupid little pressurizing system works like a champ. Change the 2-way valve from Vent to Pressurize, squeeze the bulb (taken from an blood pressure testing thingie) then watch the fuel gauge rise. My system is wait till the gauge indicates 1 bar (gen 2 fjr) over half, then open the Aux, squeeze the bulb, when the Main tank registers full I know from experience the Aux is empty. Then I (more accurately) know my true distance before empty.

Of course, this is all highly theoretical, as us CBA types NEVER ride more than a tankful of gas in a (good) day!

Sorry, Doug, I knew that....

I do apologize for speaking openly of such indelicate topics, but I am of the school that bigger is better. Despite what you may have heard. 5/16" it will be. I like the flow to be a bit quicker as well. The previous owner said that he never had any trouble with gravity on this set up and I believe he was using 5/16", but again, I wanted to be sure that there wouldn't be any clearance issue with THIS bulkhead fitting. Without getting a tape out, I think the standoffs on the cell are about 2", but I am just a girl who is bad at measuring length because of all the lies I've been told. :lol:

Yeah, I saw that they sell the nice quick disconnects and one might assume that is what comes with the kit, but I don't like to make assumptions and then be disappointed. Ya'll can have fun with that one too, I suppose. :)

Hope to do the install soon, Cape Fear will be her first real test.

Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

Nancy , I would not use the QD they will slow down the flow due to internal QD restrictions and gravity feed. Also the filler cap check valve if removed will eliminate main tank pressure build up. The pressure build up can stop or drasticly slow fuel transfer. In addition coat the bulk head fittings with Hylomar thread sealer.

Can someone give me the details on the bulkhead fitting they used that is known to work on the FJR?
Nancy,

What did you think of Alex's bulkhead? <Link>

There is a thread around here someplace where Joe2Lmaker ...
I have links to some of my projects on my "About Me" tab in my forum profile.

Don,

I found a few more valves with better flow. I'll try to remember to post them (with part numbers) in the Cell Design thread.

That last one I told you about, the panel mount valve similar to what was originally on the tank, is $78.11 at McMaster-Carr (4118T66), making it more than twice as expensive as the original.