#1 angus

angus

Angus

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

I lost my spare key can i get a key made or do i have to go through yamaha.

Zumo GPS,t, Heli Bar risers,Rifle Windsheild, ,BMW outlet for Battery tender and Jarmo custom Bar end weights,,Heated BMW Sport Grips with heatroller.

#2 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,734 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

You can get one copied as long as the key you have is in good shape. If it has already been heavily used you can get one made by yamaha from the numbers on the original key tag (if you still have that)

-Fred W        nerd.gif

#3 SacramentoMike

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

WAY cheaper if you can have any decent locksmith copy yours. If you have to order one by number, just get ONE and have a few extras made from that later.
"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx
"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff." Jack Handy
"Watch out for that tree!" George of the Jungle
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#4 slimsailor00

slimsailor00

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Are Yamaha blanks available at most key-cutters? I need to get some keys made but didn't know if I would have to go through Yamaha to get a blank.

Chris
Chris
Keeping the rubber side down

#5 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,714 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Most places have key blanks that have the same dimensions as the Yamaha key but they don't have the plastic head. The other key blanks like the Ilco are also a lot more robust than the Yamaha OEM key. During the '03-'04 time period people used to joke that if you had a bent ignition key simply place it on a table with the bow facing up and by morning it would be flat again.
"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#6 Bounce

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Local hole-in-the-wall locksmith. Get 4 @ $2 each. One on the key ring. One back home. One in your wallet. One somewhere else. Put the originals up and never use them.

They're not chipped, so they're cheap.
Ft. Worth, TX, IBA #288
FJR-Tips.org
A.B.M.

#7 olsonm3915

olsonm3915

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

The US version of the bike (don't know about European models) has a conventional key, no immobilizer RFID 'pill' inside the key. I had a couple of copies cut using standard key blanks made by one of the usual suppliers, like Ilco, Curtis, etc.

The Bin 'O Facts for the Gen II says:

Ignition Keys:

Equivalent part numbers: Ilco YM63, Taylor X248, Curtis YM63,Silca YH35R
Same blank is used for: Yamaha: YZF, FJR, FZR, FZ1, R1, GTS, XJ, V Star, Road Star, Royal Star, Venture, F1, Warrior & TT-R models - 1993+. Vino Scooter 2001+.

You can usually buy these cheaply on ebay or just walk right into any locksmith's shop and they should have them in stock. Most locksmiths will also have a reference book showing what key blanks fit a particular bike model.

It's a good idea when you get a new (or new to you) bike, to take one of the original keys and have a couple of duplicates made. Only use those and put the originals away so if you ever need more copies made you're making copies from an original instead of copying a copy.

It's also a hell of a lot less trouble to dig around in your dresser drawer and find that copy you made years ago vs. having to get a locksmith to pick your lock and make a key from it.

#8 FJRBilldo

FJRBilldo

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Most places have key blanks that have the same dimensions as the Yamaha key but they don't have the plastic head. The other key blanks like the Ilco are also a lot more robust than the Yamaha OEM key. During the '03-'04 time period people used to joke that if you had a bent ignition key simply place it on a table with the bow facing up and by morning it would be flat again.

That's funny sh!t right there :clapping:

#9 Donal

Donal

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

The UK models come with an immobiliser chip in the key. You get two normal (black) keys and one master (red) key. The master key should never be used except to reprogramme a new normal key. If you don't it would mean a new ECU as a minimum!!! :assassin:

Don

Look before you leap may be good advice - but if you really intend leaping, don't spend too long looking...........

#10 NickBrewer

NickBrewer

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

If you want the actual Yamaha OEM blanks, the part # is 4BH-82511-09-00, I just ordered a few spare blanks from www.cheapcycleparts.com for $9.74 each plus shipping.

Nick Brewer
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200D Super Tenere
1986 Yamaha SRX-6

#11 timk

timk

timk

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

cheaper if you can have any decent locksmith copy yours

I had 3 made at a locksmith in Myrtle beach for $8.
"Veni,Verdi.Varoom"
"I came,I saw,I rode"

#12 kamal

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for this guys. It reminded me that my '04 came with one key. Had two cut today + an extra for my V-Strom that is sold and being picked up today :cray:
"If our world didn't suck, we'd all fall off - Anon"

#13 Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

Retired Postal Worker

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Went one step futher.... I have two Yami's.. cut one side for each bike,,, Now only have to carry one key.....
06 Tour DeVenture 09 FJR1300AE ABS
Postal Riders of America
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Assn/Gulf war part one Kuwait
Owner of the NFL Green Bay Packers

#14 Speedygg

Speedygg

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

+1 on thanks for this thread for reminding me to replace my broken spare key. Went to local hardware shops but none of them had a key match. Found a locksmith in Lake City (near Seattle) that had a perfect match...pre-tax $8.50 / $6.50 depending on if you the rubber grip.
2007 FJR1300A 2005 SV650 IBA #49011
Posted Image

#15 Anthony Keene

Anthony Keene

FNG

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) Euro/Other

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi,

I don't know if you bought the bike originally from the dealership (first owner) or not. If you are, the set of keys should of came with a little metal piece.. on that there is a code number. You'd have to call Yamaha dealer, give them that number and they'll order you a new key. It might cost you a few bucks (maybe around $25-$50 for just one key) but at least you'll have a key. Then, that's when you take that new original key, get a second copy made at a local locksmith Las Vegas. I made a copy of mine the other day and it cost me $1.08 to make.
Worse case scenario, if you don't have the little metal thing with the code on it, you can call Yamaha directly and they might be able to order you a new key with just the VIN number off the bike... but they may need to verify that's you who owns the bike by asking a series of questions. Keep us updated to see how that goes.

Anthony

#16 snackbauer

snackbauer

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

My local Ace Hardware has the Ilco YM63 blanks, had 2 extra keys made, a couple bucks each.

IBA #59862