Need extra key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get one copied as long as the key you have is in good shape. If it has already been heavily used you can get one made by yamaha from the numbers on the original key tag (if you still have that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are Yamaha blanks available at most key-cutters? I need to get some keys made but didn't know if I would have to go through Yamaha to get a blank.

Chris

Most places have key blanks that have the same dimensions as the Yamaha key but they don't have the plastic head. The other key blanks like the Ilco are also a lot more robust than the Yamaha OEM key. During the '03-'04 time period people used to joke that if you had a bent ignition key simply place it on a table with the bow facing up and by morning it would be flat again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Local hole-in-the-wall locksmith. Get 4 @ $2 each. One on the key ring. One back home. One in your wallet. One somewhere else. Put the originals up and never use them.

They're not chipped, so they're cheap.

The US version of the bike (don't know about European models) has a conventional key, no immobilizer RFID 'pill' inside the key. I had a couple of copies cut using standard key blanks made by one of the usual suppliers, like Ilco, Curtis, etc.

The Bin 'O Facts for the Gen II says:

Ignition Keys:

Equivalent part numbers: Ilco YM63, Taylor X248, Curtis YM63,Silca YH35R

Same blank is used for: Yamaha: YZF, FJR, FZR, FZ1, R1, GTS, XJ, V Star, Road Star, Royal Star, Venture, F1, Warrior & TT-R models - 1993+. Vino Scooter 2001+.

You can usually buy these cheaply on ebay or just walk right into any locksmith's shop and they should have them in stock. Most locksmiths will also have a reference book showing what key blanks fit a particular bike model.

It's a good idea when you get a new (or new to you) bike, to take one of the original keys and have a couple of duplicates made. Only use those and put the originals away so if you ever need more copies made you're making copies from an original instead of copying a copy.

It's also a hell of a lot less trouble to dig around in your dresser drawer and find that copy you made years ago vs. having to get a locksmith to pick your lock and make a key from it.

Most places have key blanks that have the same dimensions as the Yamaha key but they don't have the plastic head. The other key blanks like the Ilco are also a lot more robust than the Yamaha OEM key. During the '03-'04 time period people used to joke that if you had a bent ignition key simply place it on a table with the bow facing up and by morning it would be flat again.
That's funny sh!t right there :clapping:

The UK models come with an immobiliser chip in the key. You get two normal (black) keys and one master (red) key. The master key should never be used except to reprogramme a new normal key. If you don't it would mean a new ECU as a minimum!!! :assassin:

Don

If you want the actual Yamaha OEM blanks, the part # is 4BH-82511-09-00, I just ordered a few spare blanks from www.cheapcycleparts.com for $9.74 each plus shipping.

cheaper if you can have any decent locksmith copy yours

I had 3 made at a locksmith in Myrtle beach for $8.

Thanks for this guys. It reminded me that my '04 came with one key. Had two cut today + an extra for my V-Strom that is sold and being picked up today :cray:

+1 on thanks for this thread for reminding me to replace my broken spare key. Went to local hardware shops but none of them had a key match. Found a locksmith in Lake City (near Seattle) that had a perfect match...pre-tax $8.50 / $6.50 depending on if you the rubber grip.

Hi,

I don't know if you bought the bike originally from the dealership (first owner) or not. If you are, the set of keys should of came with a little metal piece.. on that there is a code number. You'd have to call Yamaha dealer, give them that number and they'll order you a new key. It might cost you a few bucks (maybe around $25-$50 for just one key) but at least you'll have a key. Then, that's when you take that new original key, get a second copy made at a local locksmith Las Vegas. I made a copy of mine the other day and it cost me $1.08 to make.

Worse case scenario, if you don't have the little metal thing with the code on it, you can call Yamaha directly and they might be able to order you a new key with just the VIN number off the bike... but they may need to verify that's you who owns the bike by asking a series of questions. Keep us updated to see how that goes.

Anthony

Latest posts