Whidbey Island, Olympic peninsula

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quixote

Reaction score
I'm heading down to Whidbey, staying at a place overlooking Useless bay, (you have to love that name) and wanted to do a little riding. My wife is taking the dog and car and I'm on the FJR. I like the rides on whidbey but was thinking about taking the ferry over to Port Townsend and spending some time on the Olympic peninsula. If anyone has any suggestions for must do roads, pubs, stops I'm looking for some local wisdom and suggestions. <br siber__q92dpb7seovvtbh5__vptr="49f1f60" sourceindex="22">ThanksMurray

Thanks, I'll try that, just looking for a bit of decent weather.

Thanks, I'll try that, just looking for a bit of decent weather.

Just west from Pt. Angeles head right on Hwy 112 to Makah Bay/Cape Flattery.

https://www.hobuckbeachresort.com/rv[/url] has two camp areas both with cabins for

rent, one has a large tent area.On the way back stay right on 113 to 101 and back,

along Lake Crescent. Sol Duc hot springs is a good stop over also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurricane Ridge is about 70 miles out of Port Townsend off of Hwy 101, south of Port Angeles. Very popular sightseeing spot but might be really cold this time of year.

BigChunk

I'm heading down to Whidbey, staying at a place overlooking Useless bay, (you have to love that name) and wanted to do a little riding. My wife is taking the dog and car and I'm on the FJR. I like the rides on whidbey but was thinking about taking the ferry over to Port Townsend and spending some time on the Olympic peninsula. If anyone has any suggestions for must do roads, pubs, stops I'm looking for some local wisdom and suggestions. <br siber__q92dpb7seovvtbh5__vptr="49f1f60" sourceindex="22">ThanksMurray
Send a PM to Dr Rich, he lives on Whidbly and is retired, he may have time to show you around. What are the dates you plan on being on Whidbly?

I'm there Fri-Tue, this week. The weather has to get better than this, snow in March, really? The forcast is for some sun On Sat, Sun, so hopefully it will be some decent riding. I guess I'm always trying to ride when I should be paitent. Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I should have done Hawaii instead, but it's a bitch trying to get my FJR there.

Last I heard, recently, 112 was closed somewhere because of a slide. The Keystone/Port Townsend ferry likes vehicle reservations, do not know if that applys to bikes, perhaps someone else can chime in knowledgeably.

i've never had an issue with getting the bike on a ferry up here, i even showed up 10 min before the ferry left on a friday long weekend and went to the front of the line. It seems they always find a little space for another bike. I'll see how Washington state ferries are but it's not really tourist season yet. Now just some nice weather would be a good. Oh well, I've got a new Olympia Phantom suit so maybe I'll find out if it's really waterproof or not.

The Keystone/Port Townsend ferry likes vehicle reservations, do not know if that applys to bikes, perhaps someone else can chime in knowledgeably.
Washington State Ferries are very friendly to motorcyclists including Port Townsend/Kingston. While technically available I think reservations would be overkill....especially this time of year. The 3 or 4 times I've done it....never needed including the height of motorcycle season.

Kind of not on the beaten path, but I've always liked the little town of Langley. Great little supermarket that has great salads and deli items for a packed lunch.

After purchasing your ticket you will be directed to the front of any cars that are in the holding area and you'll load second after foot traffic. That's if you get there before the Ferry starts to load. Get there after loading starts and you'll load last.

Arrive in time to work through the line, if any, at the ticket booth. To be safe no later than 20/30 mins before the arrival of the Ferry from Port Townsend.

Keep Going!

After we had left WFO 4, we went across Widbey and ferried to the peninsula. We pulled into the long line, thinking it'd be a two ferry wait. A local on a bike pulled up and said we could go to the head of the line. We followed him up to the front and were directed to a motorcycle holding area. First on and first off, and it's been the same ever since. Have a great trip.

I'm there Fri-Tue, this week. The weather has to get better than this, snow in March, really? The forcast is for some sun On Sat, Sun, so hopefully it will be some decent riding. I guess I'm always trying to ride when I should be paitent. Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I should have done Hawaii instead, but it's a bitch trying to get my FJR there.
Weather forecast doesn't look too good for you. Sunday appears to to be the pick of the week...for now! ;)

Lots of great ideas already posted, plenty of exploring in these parts. Have fun!

--G

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll try and head out hwy 112 towards Neah Bay/ Cape Flattery. If there is a slide or closure I'll figure it out but I don't see anything on the Washington hwy department site. I'll post a ride report when I get back. The weather might be iffy but the sun is shining up here in Vancouver today so that's a good sign. i guess you can't be a pussy about the weather when you live up here.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll try and head out hwy 112 towards Neah Bay/ Cape Flattery. If there is a slide or closure I'll figure it out but I don't see anything on the Washington hwy department site. I'll post a ride report when I get back. The weather might be iffy but the sun is shining up here in Vancouver today so that's a good sign. i guess you can't be a pussy about the weather when you live up here.
Here's another option if HWY 112 doesn't work out for you. Lots of scenic coast line, great options for lunch, one hydroelectric dam, one imposing powerhouse with huge penstocks from high above and behind it. (albeit from a different dam than the one you will visit) and an very impressive floating bridge at the entrance of Hood Canal. One more thing, You'll be riding on the most costly ferry ever built for the WA State Ferry System. ($60 million) It was put into service in Jan.this year.

Enjoy your ride no matter what the weather.

Keep Going!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, I did a ride out hwy 112 to the coast, I posted a ride report with some pics. I do want to try the hood canal ride next time. It was a great holiday except for the little thing with the trooper on the aproach to chuckanut drive on the way back. That's going to cost me $298, ouch, who knew that it was 40 mph coming into the chuckanut drive. I know he couldn't have kept up with me when we hit the twisties and I thought about it but I was a good boy and actually stopped. I'll try and fight it but I don't hold out much hope. Is 78 mph really that fast? I guess it's part of the cost of a good ride and fun time.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, I did a ride out hwy 112 to the coast, I posted a ride report with some pics. I do want to try the hood canal ride next time. It was a great holiday except for the little thing with the trooper on the aproach to chuckanut drive on the way back. That's going to cost me $298, ouch, who knew that it was 40 mph coming into the chuckanut drive. I know he couldn't have kept up with me when we hit the twisties and I thought about it but I was a good boy and actually stopped. I'll try and fight it but I don't hold out much hope. Is 78 mph really that fast? I guess it's part of the cost of a good ride and fun time.
Better to stop, they do have radios and Chucka pretty much funnels you one way and not much margin for error. I f you have a clean record down here I have heard of folks going to court and getting a deferment if they are good for the following year. Did he write for the full 38 over? Glad the rest of the trip went better.

Ouch! Give Jeannie a shout, it's at least worth an email. She is legendary down here. ;)

Jeannie Mucklestone

--G

As I get older I figure if you're going to play you gonna pay. I'll make them work for the money but in the end I figure I'ld have more money if I stayed home and watched wheel of fortune or something but what fun would that be. I think I will make some inquiries, I really don't think I was going that fast and the wind was blowing like hell, but who's watching the spedo when you are heading into Chuckanut drive with the sun shining on your face. It was a good ride anyway and it was more fun than a whore, LOL, and no surprises to take home.