#1 Eric L

Eric L

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • 2014A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Ive done all my fluids myself as well as various lube points since I've owned the bike. I wanted them to look at the brakes, as I seem to be incapable of seeing the wear groves, as well as anything else they are supposed to look at. Since my last brake flush, the brakes feel a little spongier to me and I was planning on bleeding them, but figured to let them change pads.

Got a call... 'uh your bike is perfect'. You dont need brakes. We did tighten your vstrom handguard on the right side though' These guys were telling me I would probably need that pivot under the bike serviced, but apparently they don't want my money.

-- it's hard to tell where the bike stops and the farkles begin --

Eric

#2 TomInCA

TomInCA

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

You're 4K miles from your first valve check. Normally change coolant and do other fluids at the same time. I also need to get at the swing-arm pivots and it kind of bothers me I haven't yet done that. The FJR is a reliable bike, and doesn't require a whole lot to keep it going well, but compared to cars, you have to admit, we put a lot of work into them.

beestrike.jpg

I ride an FJR. I don't need no stinkin' trailer.

#3 garyahouse

garyahouse

newbs need the forum

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hey Eric:

Doesn't surprise me at all. Like you, I take care of all my fluids. I've got 18k on mine, and it runs like a scalded cat (gotta love them 05's). Did a throttle body synch a couple weeks ago, they were just a hair off. Now it accelerates off an idle a lot cleaner, but overall there's not much difference, if any - since doing the TBS. Haven't checked my brakes either. Thanks for the reminder: better check em before heading out for Daytona this weekend.

Gary
darksider #44
FJR: the most fun you can legally have.