Stereo bluetooth for riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently went from a Starcom1 digital wired system to a Sena SMH10 bluetooth system for the wifey and have no regrets. I link my headset to her, the Zumo and to my iPhone. Music sound quality is way better than the Starcom1, and no wires.
yahoo.gif
I really like the Sena because all functions can easily be accomplished with gloves on...no small buttons to push.

I still want to buy the Sena SR10 so I can use my GMRS radio to talk to my riding buddies.
I've tried what you're suggesting here and I would recommend you wait until the SM10 is available. If you're looking to connect the GMRS radio via the SR10, the only way to also get your iPhone functions to the SMH10 is to connect to the SR10 connected with a cable. The SR10 only trasmits in mono, and the sound quality is TERRIBLE to boot.

I've not even tried to have everything connected at once since in my normal commute the iPhone to SMH10 connection is all I need, but there's no way you would want to live with the lousy sound quality when your iPhone has to pass through the SR10. I'm going to try and get a refund on the SR10 or at least some kind of credit towards the SM10 once its available.....

just my $.02
Looks like the SM10 does not have the same radio connect feature that the SR10 has. Is that right?

Can't you connect to the iPhone from the SMH10 for the stereo sound and then connect to the SR10 for the other mono stuff?

Thanks,

7X

I recently went from a Starcom1 digital wired system to a Sena SMH10 bluetooth system for the wifey and have no regrets. I link my headset to her, the Zumo and to my iPhone. Music sound quality is way better than the Starcom1, and no wires.
yahoo.gif
I really like the Sena because all functions can easily be accomplished with gloves on...no small buttons to push.

I still want to buy the Sena SR10 so I can use my GMRS radio to talk to my riding buddies.
I've tried what you're suggesting here and I would recommend you wait until the SM10 is available. If you're looking to connect the GMRS radio via the SR10, the only way to also get your iPhone functions to the SMH10 is to connect to the SR10 connected with a cable. The SR10 only trasmits in mono, and the sound quality is TERRIBLE to boot.

I've not even tried to have everything connected at once since in my normal commute the iPhone to SMH10 connection is all I need, but there's no way you would want to live with the lousy sound quality when your iPhone has to pass through the SR10. I'm going to try and get a refund on the SR10 or at least some kind of credit towards the SM10 once its available.....

just my $.02
Looks like the SM10 does not have the same radio connect feature that the SR10 has. Is that right?

Can't you connect to the iPhone from the SMH10 for the stereo sound and then connect to the SR10 for the other mono stuff?

Thanks,

7X
I believe that the SM10 WILL have the radio connection of the SR10, but with stereo capability (which the SR10 lacks). I've tried various sequences of connecting the iPhone, SR10 and SMH10, but the best I can do via Bluetooth is one connection at a time. The official documentation on the Sena site and my confirmed experience, is connecting the iPhone via a hardwire to the SR10, then you're left with a horrible mono connection. Maybe OK for GMRS radio and mono commands from a GPS, or beeps from a radar detector, but no way tolerable for music IMO.

Another Scala G4 vote here. Did the mod and until 2 weeks ago was using Monster earbuds. Finally blew them up. Picked up cheaper skull candy eaarbuds today. They sond pretty good for the money. I've tried several makes of buds recently. Bose IE2 - SUCKS fro motorcycles. Beats - can't remember the model but they were about $100. Sounded good but the controls and mic for the iphone compatible stuff = performance issues. Seems to work better with straight earbuds without all the crap on them.

Bluetooth keeps getting closer, but it hasn't yet arrived to where the wired systems have. I use an Autocom Pro AVI with isolation connectors to the

radar detector,

GPS with XM-Serius radio and BT iPhone, and

Kenwood TK3101 GMRS radio with PTT and VOX, and

auxiliary stereo input (iPhone).

Almost nothing else can handle six inputs like that, and prioritize them, and deliver it to speakers and/or earbuds. I use the wired connections into the helmet. It took me several months to dial in this complex arrangement, but it was worth it...nothing else comes close (thanks to Richard Fairlaner for helping me spend my allowance). For you wireless freaks, all of this could be delivered to the helmet with a BT module, but another $200 I can live with the wire.

All of this is hardwired into power. It's a great system, but I don't think the average person can install and configure it, and with all I have invested in it, I won't be changing it out soon..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sena SMH10 with the earbud mount. I had custom ear buds molded, and I won't go back to in helmet speakers. The sound isolation and comfort is unbeatable after hours in the saddle and the sound quality is superb. I also like how easy the iPhone controls are to work with the jog dial (I use Voice Control to call my wife when I am coming home from the office, then switch over to music once I'm rolling). I certainly hope that the Sena SM10 works well, as I am planning on adding the Montana GPS, and do want voice commands for turn by turn when I'm using it on-road.

I also have and love the SMH10. Great headset and works perfectly with my iPhone4S. Mostly gets my voice commands correct :rolleyes:

Bluetooth keeps getting closer, but it hasn't yet arrived to where the wired systems have. I use an Autocom Pro AVI with isolation connectors to the

radar detector,

Almost nothing else can handle six inputs like that, and prioritize them, and deliver it to speakers and/or earbuds. I use the wired connections into the helmet. It took me several months to dial in this complex arrangement, but it was worth it...nothing else comes close (thanks to Richard Fairlaner for helping me spend my allowance). For you wireless freaks, all of this could be delivered to the helmet with a BT module, but another $200 I can live with the wire.

All of this is hardwired into power. It's a great system, but I don't think the average person can install and configure it, and with all I have invested in it, I won't be changing it out soon..

I've about had it with my autocom, that sounds like about $1000 worth of adapters. If I'm understanding all this correctly the SM10 should allow the basic scenario you are describing. I don't even bother with trying to use a phone with my Autocom and Zumo 550, absolute clusterf%$&k of adapters. I have 4 of the Motorola HS820's that are supposed make it all come together but it is just not acceptable to me to try to use all of this stuff at once on a bike.

I've been think about upgrading the Zumo to a 665 as the 550 will never support proper Bluetooth so I'm curious about ditching the Autocom as well. With a 665 and a SMH10 I should be able to stream XM radio in stereo, hear navigation and control and talk on the phone. That is basically all that I absolutely need for now. I would only need the SM10 if I wanted to add a radar detector or stream from my phone or mp3 player? I think I'm in, I know somebody else will want my Autocom/550 combo and trading it for something very simple that will actually do what I want makes alot of sense.

My concern for Bluetooth has always been about battery life and real world reliability. It seems like the 550 is always disconnecting and losing pairings etc. which sucks on a ride. Is the technology there now? I see that the SMH10 can charge while in use which I would be fine with on a long ride but has anybody put a lot of hours on one to really test the battery?

There is a huge group buy going on at AvRider as well, maybe now is the time.

I've put over 9 hours in the saddle with my SMH10 on a single charge... listening to music most of the time and a few quick phone calls... and it worked about half of the rest of the next day as well before I had to stick it on the charger.

radar detector,

I've about had it with my autocom, that sounds like about $1000 worth of adapters. If I'm understanding all this correctly the SM10 should allow the basic scenario you are describing. I don't even bother with trying to use a phone with my Autocom and Zumo 550, absolute clusterf%$&k of adapters. I have 4 of the Motorola HS820's that are supposed make it all come together but it is just not acceptable to me to try to use all of this stuff at once on a bike.

I've been think about upgrading the Zumo to a 665 as the 550 will never support proper Bluetooth so I'm curious about ditching the Autocom as well. With a 665 and a SMH10 I should be able to stream XM radio in stereo, hear navigation and control and talk on the phone. That is basically all that I absolutely need for now. I would only need the SM10 if I wanted to add a radar detector or stream from my phone or mp3 player? I think I'm in, I know somebody else will want my Autocom/550 combo and trading it for something very simple that will actually do what I want makes alot of sense.

My concern for Bluetooth has always been about battery life and real world reliability. It seems like the 550 is always disconnecting and losing pairings etc. which sucks on a ride. Is the technology there now? I see that the SMH10 can charge while in use which I would be fine with on a long ride but has anybody put a lot of hours on one to really test the battery?

There is a huge group buy going on at AvRider as well, maybe now is the time.
My recollection is that the SMH10 will run about 8-10 hours with music on 100% of the time. Not sure how that life will trend over time (shorter I'm sure, just not sure how long it will take in either time or recharge cycles).

The sorry truth is that I've got 3 SMH10's now (long story) but will be glad that I've got the multiple units when I go on my long trip this summer (swap em out when one dies).

When Patch and I rode to North Carolina last year, we rode around 16and hours the first day. We would charge the Senas at gas stops. Never failed.

On the way back, Patch wanted to see how long it would go, so he didn't charge his during the trip. Right around 11and hours he got the warning tones and the dead battery.

Charged it up and we rode home the next day without issues. Mine has never died during a ride.

After yesterday's BBG I can offer a ringing endorsement of the Sena's for LD riding. I have the dual kit just for me and set them both up paired to the 665 and away I went. When the first unit died after 11 hours I swapped the modules (while riding; disclaimer YRMV etc.) in about 10 seconds. I popped the first on the charger in the tankbag and topped of the second at my dinner stop for 30 minutes and that was it. Total running time around 25 hours with minimal charge and zero problems. I was very impressed with the overall operation/sound and phone call quality and was very happy that the bluetooth was very robust. It was very nice not to fumble with wires at gas stops. I will probably invest in some of the earbud adapters for the distance riding for comfort and noise reduction as well as saving battery by not having to run full volume. I do like the speaker option for riding to work and around town.

It just works. What a miracle. Anybody shopping for Autocom stuff?

I'm another satisfied Sena user...the longest day I had on mine was about 12 hours, and I don't know how much battery life was left. I use the earset adapter bracket with custom molded earbuds, and it is the most comfortable setup I have had. I will be upgrading my first gen module to the current model in order to get the new firmware...I'll keep the other module for my wife/backup.

AVGeek you have a wife/backup? Does she know? Sorry, couldn't resist it :D

Anyway, I've been looking at the Sena SMH5 installed without the mike, as all I need (right now) is to be able to hear the GPS voice prompts.

Anybody have any experience with this one?

Thanks.

Al

Anyway, I've been looking at the Sena SMH5 installed without the mike, as all I need (right now) is to be able to hear the GPS voice prompts.

Anybody have any experience with this one?

Thanks.

Al
Based on the small price difference and long list of SMH10 goodness, I would suggest just going with the SMH10.

For a cheap, make-do option you could look into the LG HBS-700 stereo bluetooth headset.

I've got one for my cell phone and it works ok. It's not up to the standards of any of the motorcycle helmet specific headsets/intercoms but it has earbuds on short wires that let you wear them under your helmet. Sound is good and plenty loud enough to hear over an FJR. I've even conducted phone calls while riding with "ok" results. The microphone is in a collar piece that slips around your neck. Your riding jacket acts as sort of a wind blocker for it.

They only cost about $40-50 so are a cheaper alternative if you don't have the cash for the more expensive units right away.

I like to use them mostly to listen to music from my Android phone while I ride.

I'm still saving up for one of the better sets. Maybe next march when I get my annual bonus.

ok, it's been about six months since anyone posted here... ive been following hoping to find ectrohelmetmusicomo nirvana... any updates??? any new cool stuff???

ok, it's been about six months since anyone posted here... ive been following hoping to find ectrohelmetmusicomo nirvana... any updates??? any new cool stuff???
Still love my Sena stuff. Finally got to use the intercom and was pretty happy with it. I'll probably pick up one of the SM10's one of these days just for the 3.5 mm jack. I ended up buying a couple of headset kits and just swap modules around as needed, its a pretty damn nice system. Not to mention that I'm invested less than one Autocom base unit.

Only an update.

Despite being advised to go with the Sena SMH10, I went with the SMH-5 and left the mike in my tank bag.

Zero problems, works excellent with my GPS, and Sena keep me updated regularly.

I don't do 'tunes' while I ride but I am able to connect with my Bluetooth netbook.

Al
cold.gif

Speaking of updates, just got an email that the Sena firmware update is ready. It says it is supposed to address the low volume issue that bothers some people. Volume has always been fine for me but I'll let you know...downloading now.

Edit: This is the version 4.2 beta...I'll be your crash test dummy. Both of my units took the update fine, road test tomorrow.