FODS V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pictures, I'd like to know where you were east Beatty. Did you get your carb figured out?

Thanks for the help loading the KLR, after testing today we found the CDI unit failed. Ordered a used one off flea bay for half of a new one that sells for close to 350 big ones.

Nice pics Clay, even the gratuitous one. Nice to see them as I heard you were there :p , but we never got to throw rocks at each other this time around. Oh well. Moab is only 11 months away!

Doug, How we got east of Beatty: We followed the group down Farm road, cut over to Mojave road and followed it along the West side of the Big Dune all the way to Hwy 95. We went about 1.5 miles north on 95, then turned right (east) onto the first main dirt road we came to. Mapquest shows it well. We then wound around the back side of a small range, passed by an old gold mine (go figure), headed up a a narrow wash and up and over the range near a microwave installation. We ended up dropping down and back onto Hwy 95 less than a mile south of Beatty. Strangely enough, the guy's GPS we were following showed this as the quickest route to Beatty from Big Dune. Technology, gotta love it.

The carb mystery persists. Feels like an electrical miss under heavy load at about 2/3 max rpm. If I hold it wide open, i can gradually ride out of the missfire rpm range and it pulls hard to as fast as I wnated to go (about 90mph) in the rain on Saturday afternoon. Plug looks good, seated tight, Air cleaner ok, valves adjusted ok, not sure what else to check before diving into the carb and checking the wiring.

Doug, How we got east of Beatty: We followed the group down Farm road, cut over to Mojave road and followed it along the West side of the Big Dune all the way to Hwy 95. We went about 1.5 miles north on 95, then turned right (east) onto the first main dirt road we came to. Mapquest shows it well. We then wound around the back side of a small range, passed by an old gold mine (go figure), headed up a a narrow wash and up and over the range near a microwave installation. We ended up dropping down and back onto Hwy 95 less than a mile south of Beatty. Strangely enough, the guy's GPS we were following showed this as the quickest route to Beatty from Big Dune. Technology, gotta love it.

The carb mystery persists. Feels like an electrical miss under heavy load at about 2/3 max rpm. If I hold it wide open, i can gradually ride out of the missfire rpm range and it pulls hard to as fast as I wnated to go (about 90mph) in the rain on Saturday afternoon. Plug looks good, seated tight, Air cleaner ok, valves adjusted ok, not sure what else to check before diving into the carb and checking the wiring.
Thanks for the route info, it was the best dual sport route. I will check it out someday.

Tried any carb cleaner-seafoam etc.?

Not knowing your bike specifically, this is typical symptoms of a spark plug wire(s) arcing to ground. You might take a close look at the plug wire(s) and see if you see any signs of arcing or insulation wear. Or, fire it up at night or in the dark garage and take a look to see if you can see it arcing somewhere along the wire. Bad wires can manifest themselves in odd ways that seem very fuel related, but it's just a simple fix with a new plug wire.

Good luck!

Hee Hee,

BTDT!

DSCN3652-L.jpg

..soo, how did the old balding phat riders riding even phatter 'dirt bikes' fare? :blink: :lol:
Precisely. I got a 2005 Manstrom with 80k miles, original owner, bought it new, farkled the shit out of it, yadda yadda yadda. I call it Miss Piggy. She ain't good for much of anything other than a fire road like this. Her belly hangs down low just like mine - a sad state of affair compared to my more youthful days. With the low hanging belly she scrapes up the rugged roads pretty good.

Not knowing your bike specifically, this is typical symptoms of a spark plug wire(s) arcing to ground. You might take a close look at the plug wire(s) and see if you see any signs of arcing or insulation wear. Or, fire it up at night or in the dark garage and take a look to see if you can see it arcing somewhere along the wire. Bad wires can manifest themselves in odd ways that seem very fuel related, but it's just a simple fix with a new plug wire.

Good luck!
We took the plug out in the parking lot, changed to a new one, made sure all the connections were good on the cap, but I'm thinking it may still be the plug wire/cap. An easy thing to try. As for jetting, I did fatten up the main jet one size from what the previous owner had done, which brings it in line with the standard mod (Dave's mod?) for the XRL with a pipe, a free air box, and no smog. Previous owner had done the other carb mods. I'll get it figured out eventually. that's what rainy days are for. Looks like I'll get my chance on Saturday.

Day 3 of FODS was too much for my desert mule as it lost spark 100 yards from the motel. Clean livin',eh?

Finally got around to replacing the pick up coil as a local shop suggested. Fired right up as it had done for over 17k miles :yahoo:

This was at Skidoo.

IMG_2389.jpg