#1 Ally House

Ally House

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Catching a sunny February day, and some free time, I asked the FJR pilot, "Do you want to catch a light house, a water fall, or a covered bridge on our ride today?" Lane County, OR has some really great options, and I have a decent ride for each of them (although to get to some of the treats you either hit Benton, Douglas or Lincoln counties ever so slightly). The reply: "Yes". YIKES! All three, in one day...and no PDT yet to stretch the end of the day. Plotting and planning, I hit on Wildcat Covered Bridge, which crosses Whitaker Creek at the Siuslaw River for the bridge, Sweet Creek Falls, just outside of Mapleton for the falls, and Heceta Head Light House for, well, the light house.

Wildcat is off of SR 126 about 40 miles west of Eugene. Whitaker Creek joins with the Siuslaw River there

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sweet Creek Falls are one of three sets of falls in this area, and the most easily accessible via motorcycle from SR 126. The falls are about 11 miles south of the highway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We then went to the coast. About another 15 miles on SR 126 and then north on US 101 from Florence. Heceta Head is 15 or so miles north of Florence, and there is a spectacular overlook just south of the light house. A restoration project was recently started (after our visit in November!) and will be completed in about two years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 redtail

redtail

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Great Ride Report!

I grew up in Douglas County (although some might argue if I've grown up at all!). Super scenery up there as well as nice roads. Thanks for posting, makes me anxious to plan another road trip!

Can you PM me the route you traveled? Mapquest maybe? I'd be coming from my Mom's in Roseburg.

A Friend recently explained to me that " a good amount of air time is required to truly appreciate road rash!" I'd like to take his word for it!
IBA #42150

#3 A41Billy

A41Billy

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • 2014ES (Gen III) World
  • 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Great riding we have here in Oregon! Thanks for sharing the pics. I am originally from Lane County(Eugene,Cottage Grove). I now reside just south in the Rogue Valley. We have a few coast runs planned this year, can't wait!!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES

2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Suzuki GSX1100G
1990 Kawasaki Ninja 600R

#4 Dudewado

Dudewado

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • 2014A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Nice February ride!

Have you ridden the Aufderheide Byway (NF Road 19) ?

It goes from Westfir, just south of Oakridge, to Cougar Reservoir and the McKenzie Highway 126.

wfo03.gifwfo04.gifcfr2009.gifthwcrsignaturelogosmaller.jpgIn Loving Memory: Jill R. Wade 7/19/54 - 04/18/01

I've tried to talk myself into appreciating winter for what it is: a brutally cold, bleak, dark, crippling, depressing, boring, endless hole in the calendar.

#5 Ally House

Ally House

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Nice February ride!

Have you ridden the Aufderheide Byway (NF Road 19) ?

It goes from Westfir, just south of Oakridge, to Cougar Reservoir and the McKenzie Highway 126.

Yes I have...several times! I like riding it south to north, then hopping on SR 242 (McKenzie Hwy) and zipping over to Bend for the day!

#6 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Wow, great RR, thanks!

I think you might be the guy I need to contact to see if you can figure out the road I rode on Miss Ultra many years ago.. it went from the coast east then back again.. I wonder if I have any pix still, after the great computer hard drive crash..

hmmm...
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#7 TomInCA

TomInCA

Underemployed

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Lovely RR and it looks like you had great company for the tour. Always more fun when shared.

I might be skiing.

#8 NW Jeff

NW Jeff

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Oooo, I hope some of the Damtour dams are nearby. Now if the rain/snow mix would take a break for a while I might be able to make it down that way. Thanks for the suggestions!
Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#9 GeorgiaRoller

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

Posted Image

That's a great location! Looks like you hit a bunch of good spots all in one day.

#10 Sharif

Sharif

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

Sure does look beautiful!
The ripple has begun...
IBA #44614
Posted ImagePosted Image