Trifecta!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ally House

Reaction score
Catching a sunny February day, and some free time, I asked the FJR pilot, "Do you want to catch a light house, a water fall, or a covered bridge on our ride today?" Lane County, OR has some really great options, and I have a decent ride for each of them (although to get to some of the treats you either hit Benton, Douglas or Lincoln counties ever so slightly). The reply: "Yes". YIKES! All three, in one day...and no PDT yet to stretch the end of the day. Plotting and planning, I hit on Wildcat Covered Bridge, which crosses Whitaker Creek at the Siuslaw River for the bridge, Sweet Creek Falls, just outside of Mapleton for the falls, and Heceta Head Light House for, well, the light house.

Wildcat is off of SR 126 about 40 miles west of Eugene. Whitaker Creek joins with the Siuslaw River there

3in1mcday015.jpg

3in1mcday006.jpg

3in1mcday022.jpg

Sweet Creek Falls are one of three sets of falls in this area, and the most easily accessible via motorcycle from SR 126. The falls are about 11 miles south of the highway.

3in1mcday048.jpg

3in1mcday056.jpg

3in1mcday023.jpg

We then went to the coast. About another 15 miles on SR 126 and then north on US 101 from Florence. Heceta Head is 15 or so miles north of Florence, and there is a spectacular overlook just south of the light house. A restoration project was recently started (after our visit in November!) and will be completed in about two years.

3in1mcday084.jpg

3in1mcday093.jpg

3in1mcday088.jpg

3in1mcday090.jpg

Great Ride Report!

I grew up in Douglas County (although some might argue if I've grown up at all!). Super scenery up there as well as nice roads. Thanks for posting, makes me anxious to plan another road trip!

Can you PM me the route you traveled? Mapquest maybe? I'd be coming from my Mom's in Roseburg.

Great riding we have here in Oregon! Thanks for sharing the pics. I am originally from Lane County(Eugene,Cottage Grove). I now reside just south in the Rogue Valley. We have a few coast runs planned this year, can't wait!!

Nice February ride!

Have you ridden the Aufderheide Byway (NF Road 19) ?

It goes from Westfir, just south of Oakridge, to Cougar Reservoir and the McKenzie Highway 126.

Nice February ride!

Have you ridden the Aufderheide Byway (NF Road 19) ?

It goes from Westfir, just south of Oakridge, to Cougar Reservoir and the McKenzie Highway 126.

Yes I have...several times! I like riding it south to north, then hopping on SR 242 (McKenzie Hwy) and zipping over to Bend for the day!

Wow, great RR, thanks!

I think you might be the guy I need to contact to see if you can figure out the road I rode on Miss Ultra many years ago.. it went from the coast east then back again.. I wonder if I have any pix still, after the great computer hard drive crash..

hmmm...

Oooo, I hope some of the Damtour dams are nearby. Now if the rain/snow mix would take a break for a while I might be able to make it down that way. Thanks for the suggestions!