Broke the fuel line fitting on fuel pump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,

There's an '04 pump on eBay right now (HERE) for $140.

Considering what these things go for new, that's not a bad price at all. Considering the hell you're going through, it could be a quick way out of your problem. And since all you need is the base flange, you could probably sell the rest of the pump back to someone on the forum fairly easily.

Oops. Reading comprehension fail.

Yeah, it's easy to get confused with the terminology of these parts since none are listed separately on the Yamaha fiche. Tim is sending me the part from England. Whatya think, can you make everything fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie,

There's an '04 pump on eBay right now (HERE) for $140.

Considering what these things go for new, that's not a bad price at all. Considering the hell you're going through, it could be a quick way out of your problem. And since all you need is the base flange, you could probably sell the rest of the pump back to someone on the forum fairly easily.

Thanks RH, I've been looking at that as my next option.

HYCLE was parting out JB's bike as described in This Thread. It was a 2005 Gen I and I didn't see whether the tank and fuel pump were gone. Might be worth checking. It might solve both the tank and pump problem for a reasonable cost if it hasn't been sold.

Oops. Reading comprehension fail.
Yeah, it's easy to get confused with the terminology of these parts since none are listed separately on the Yamaha fiche. Tim is sending me the part from England. Whatya think, can you make everything fit?
I believe I understand the terminology. I used to maintain and repair molds which made similar parts for Walbro. (hence the moniker "Joe-Toolmaker")

I thought I read "fittings" instead of "fitting".

I got the fuel pump flange from Tim in England, yesterday. Jeez, that was quick. I was able to remove the return line fitting from my old broken flange pretty easily. Took both flanges to a gunshop/machinist a couple houses up the street. He thinks he can do the machining necessary to adapt the fitting to the flange that Tim sent me. I should know in a day or two.

Meanwhile, I packed up my sad looking tank, along with both side bag covers and the right hand fairing and sent them off for some GARAULD magic. I removed the hinge pins from the bags instead of drilling out the poprivets. It was also relatively easy. I didn't recall the member who posted about the hinge removal, but thanks. Also a really sincere thanks to fudgejerkin1188 for his generosity by sending me the flange. If this all works out it will save me a bunch of beer money over buying a complete pump. THANKS TIM.

I checked with a local business that has a UPS acct, without weighing the boxes, he thought it might cost as much as $150 to ship due to the large packages and fuel surcharges, etc, he suggested I try a UPS Store since they do much more volume and would have better rates. Thinking they wouldn't be THAT much better, I went to the trusty old Post Office. They shipped them to Garauld in 2 days for $62. More later.

Are you up and running yet?

Canadian FJR
OH, yeah. I think the pump is going to be OK. A machinist couldn't get it bored out around the "fingers" that hold in the fuel return fitting, the drill grabbed them and broke them mostly off, so he glued it in place with an alleged fuel proof epoxy. I don't know exactly what he used and I'm not sure it will withstand a lifetime of soaking in gas,so I found a slightly tapered spring that fit over the fitting snugly and I pushed it down over the part that protrudes inside the flange to hold it in place in case the epoxy fails sometime. It should hold it in place and it is sealed by a Viton o-ring. Got the pump reassembled and am waiting for my tank and some other plastic to get back from refinishing by Garauld. They should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. Hope I can remember where everything goes after a lot of down time.

Just to finish out this thread, the pump is back in the tank, all parts are back from Garauld and looking good, reinstalled twice after going after a ground wire problem, everything is back together, running perfectly and ready for NAFO. Thanks for all the interest and assistance with this, especially Fudgejerkin1188 who was kind enough to send me the necessary fuel pump part all the way from England.